The 1st CIAudio Loudspeaker!

CIAudio

Re: The 1st CIAudio Loudspeaker!
« Reply #20 on: 20 Aug 2020, 07:00 pm »
Here are measurements of a very popular speaker from a Stereophile review. You can see that the frequency response is all over the place except directly on-axis, and this is with 1/10th octave smoothing!

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2020, 01:32 am »
Name names!

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2020, 01:42 am »
As development continues, we have reduced distortion in the low frequencies by eliminating the passive radiator and using a custom aperiodic tuning.

The aperiodic tuning removes non-linearities caused by the air-spring in the enclosure, while maintaining damping to the lowest frequencies. This approach yields performance similar to a transmission line but with greatly reduced cabinet size, and the smooth 2nd order roll-off makes it very friendly to a wide variety of room sizes.

The dimensions of the finished speaker are 15”h x 9”w x 10”d and weight is 30 lbs each

Due to this improved cabinet design, the speaker will now be called the a3

I am a fan of aperiodic tuning and have been ever since my Dynaco A-25's way back when. Don't know why it hasn't been more widely used. You forgot to mention that it also produces a very linear impedance curve that gets the best out of amps. Hope to hear this design sometime. Did I mention that it also supports detailed and tight bass?

Clio09

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2020, 02:30 pm »
Duke LeJuene of AudioKinesis designs speakers for best off axis response. I used to own his Jazz Modules which used the TAD 1102 driver and a 1" neodynium tweeter mounted in a round wave guide. Best box speakers I have ever owned. Definitely interested in hearing these speakers.

CIAudio

« Reply #24 on: 30 Aug 2020, 06:40 am »
lenses for the aperiodic vents were machined today  :)

jtwrace

« Reply #25 on: 10 Sep 2020, 08:36 pm »

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #26 on: 10 Sep 2020, 08:58 pm »
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but any sensitivity ratings?

CIAudio

« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2020, 09:49 pm »
Efficiency will be around 85~86db/2.83v.
Hard to get much more with a small, wide bandwidth loudspeaker.

We choose “system efficiency” over “speaker efficiency”.
For example, a pair of 96db efficient speakers being driven by a 3.5 watt SET amp will have a maximum output 99db and draw about 250 watts.
A pair of 85db efficient speakers powered by our C•100S will have a max output of 105db, with wider bandwidth, better dynamics, and draw only 240 watts.

CIAudio

« Reply #28 on: 15 Sep 2020, 12:18 am »
Having extremely well-behaved drivers allows for much simpler crossover design  :wink: