The Beginning and The End! New Alan Eaton 45 SET Amp in progress for 3 HO's!

thetakeout

AVSFan

I have no clue on the preamp.  One that sounds good and doesn't cost a fortune. 

I want to hear a passive, a tube & a solid-state and just learn. 

I know I am a fan of 12SL7/6SL7 for input tubes.  That much I do know.

Kray

AVSFan

I know I am a fan of 12SL7/6SL7 for input tubes.  That much I do know.

I’m using a Khozmo Acoustic Passive pre with amp, while my tube based matching preamp is being built and pleasantly surprised.

One thing to learn is impedance and sensitively matching for your pre and amp. Example I had a great TAD-150 tube pre based on 12AT7/12AX7 and it caused too much hum with my amp. It worked beautifully with other amps but not my 45 Yamamoto based amp. Oliver said the Yamamoto doesn’t need much gain at all (if any) and 6db was about max he recommended. So going with a 6AH4 based preamp

roscoe65

Very good point about sensitivity matching.  Noise or hum that is barely audible on 90dB speakers may be objectionable with 96dB speakers.  My Dennis Had amp both needs a preamp and is not 100% silent.  Consequently it works better with medium-high efficiency speakers (20 wpc and 90dB is a good combo in my room).  On the other hand, my Oliver Sayes/FI 421A SET has an input sensitivity of 0.65V and is D-E-A-D quiet.  I only use a unity gain tube preamp for the remote control.  My DAC puts out about 2.5V, so there is not only no need for gain there is no room for it.

JTF

I know it's Schiit but the Freya+ does all of those things in a single unit. You can switch between passive, jfet and tube buffer. I just sold one, I had it for about 9 months. Really good for the price.

AvsFan

Alan informed me that he is breaking in my amp all day today. Making sure that everything is working the way it's supposed to before shipping tomorrow.

jmolsberg

AvsFan

Last picture before shipping. I went with the round knobs.

Kray

Looking good Jeff

These 45 amps are so beautifully simple. Especially when you see the guts and realize the beauty in the circuit.

JTF

Last picture before shipping. I went with the round knobs.

Looks good AvsFan. I saw your amp in person this morning. I drove up to his workshop to get a nick in the paint touched up and to pick up a pair of KG4s. Incidently, he just sent me a video of your amp playing on another pair of Klipsch, I let him know he sent it to the wrong person.

AvsFan

Looks good AvsFan. I saw your amp in person this morning. I drove up to his workshop to get a nick in the paint touched up and to pick up a pair of KG4s. Incidently, he just sent me a video of your amp playing on another pair of Klipsch, I let him know he sent it to the wrong person.

As long as it sounded good to you.  :D

roscoe65

I’m jumping back onto the 45 SET amp bandwagon.  Years ago (ca. 1997 or so) I owned a direct coupled 45 amp and foolishly let it go.  With all the talk about the Eaton 45 amp and Super 3 HO Monitors, I decided to jump back in.

I bought a Korneff-style 45 SET built by Oliver Sayes using the same iron set as Eaton.  It is a two stage amp rather than the SRPP of Eaton so it needs a higher gain preamp which I can fortunately provide.  It will be interesting to hear how this compares with memories of over 20 years ago.