Help me build a notebook....

Christof

« on: 21 Feb 2005, 03:28 am »
Dell has pretty good prices and I need a notebook for home/work but not sure what I should buy.  I need a system for basic book keeping(woodworking company), watch DVD's, internet, and show clients my woodworking portfolio.  I'd also like to connect the notebook as a CDP in my bedroom tube system.  My wood shop will soon have a DSL line and I'd like to have wireless internet there.  OK, with all that said, can you please comment on this system:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i6000S2&s=dhs

Thanks for the help
c.

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2005, 03:35 am »
I do exactly all of that on my $999 Apple iBook.  I tried to buy a Dell several time and they screwed me around so much I just bought another Mac and am happy I did.

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2005, 03:53 am »
ChristOf, I am thinking about getting another computer, as I have being turned off from DELL and especially Windows XP.  The Pentium 4 Dell I have, which is less than 2 years old is unreliable in the sense that my USB ports, that once used to work flawlessly with my Olympus Digital and my flashcards readers have failed after I downloaded the XP security pack 2 back in November.  Now, these ports do not work and even when I have switched them back and forth, they still fail to recognize.  The only USB devices that work are my Brother Laserprinter and my USB Logitech mouse.

Now, talking about the ineptitude of Dell in providing me with assistance, which I paid about $150 for, the Dell technician could not lay the blame with he devices, all 3 failing at the same time?  When I was done calling them, with the problem still unreasolved, somehow the computer began to function and detect the devices again.  Then, when I shut it down, non recogniction again.  I am fed up.

So, I am looking at the possibility of getting myself a Macintosh.  An IBOOK will be all that you are looking to do.  It might not have the latest and the greatest in comparison of the quantity of available software in contrast to PC, but the headache of dealing with an inherently unstable operating system, virus to hacker and virus attack, and the frustration of upkeeping a temperamental machine has pushed me to think that I can do better.  Apple might be in my future.   Maybe it would be nice to look into it.  

If you are going to keep info about your business there, than why not rely in something that is stable and virus free?

Christof

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2005, 04:19 am »
A friend of mine also recommended an iBook and the first two responses here are pro iBook.   I'll investigate further.  The G4 price tag is exactly what I was planning to spend.  I don't want to start a Mac/PC war but is there anyone who thinks a G4 would not be a good choice for the basics I mentioned?  I have a Dell desktop now and it's full of bugs.

Thanks
c.

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2005, 04:48 am »
Although my Dell desktop is not necessarily full of bugs, it is darn annoying what happened to me even after having paid after service fees.  I know that software compatibility issues are mostly due to the user end error, but there are way too many things that are not well programmed with Xp.  One of them  and the worst, security flaws and inestability.  

I plan to use my DELL and the Powerbook I am eyeing to get as partners and not against each other.

PS:  I Know a teacher in school who has been using the same Ibook since she bought it around 7 years ago.....what computer is obsolete proof, but hers, it seems to me simply defies the longterm value of Macintoshes, simplicity and longevity.  BTW, she uses wireless connection for the internet.  The PC equivalent to her computer would be a Pentium II, 333 MHZ as a desktop....What computer out there is that and can still navigate the internet properly?

Check the Apples out.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2005, 04:51 am »
My folks have a Pentium that old and slow and it navigates the net beautifully.  I'm constantly amazed by how it's holding up- I have it to them ages ago when I bought a new machine.  Well, several new machines have come & go for me (I require a lot more machine than Mom & Dad need  :lol: ), but theirs keeps chuggin' along.  Not only does it keep them connected, almost all of their music listening is from that pokey ol' E-Machines box.

John Ashman

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2005, 05:10 am »
Quickbooks for Apple is great for business, I manage 6000 people on it and have done so for almost 10 years.   Quicken is included, I think.  And   it's very easy to deal with.  And iPhoto does great for doing slide show presentations.  If you need something really sophisticated, you can get iWorks for $79 and you can do very nice newsletters, brochures, etc and basically powerpoint style presentations.  Apple Works is included, I believe, so with Quickbooks, you have a total business solution for as little as $1300-$1800 including software.  A lot of the softare that is extra on a PC is included in a Mac.  And the hardware is typically more reliable, the software is more stable, the viruses are an order of magnitude less prevalent, the things don't crash, the browser is faster, the included hardware on base machines is better than that included on base PCs.  So there is a lot of "extra" you get with a Mac.  It's like going from a Sony receiver to Conrad-Johnson separates, at least, if it were maybe 10-20% more for the C-J.

brj

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2005, 05:22 am »
Quote from: Bemopti123
It might not have the latest and the greatest in comparison of the quantity of available software in contrast to PC

That always depends on what you are looking for.  In some cases, the latest version of an app might actually be released first (or in more complete form) for the Mac instead of the PC, with a notable example being MS Office (for some versions).  With over 10,000 applications for the Mac, there is hardly a dearth of software!

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2005, 11:48 am »
Sorry to butt in, Christof.  Question for mac users.
Are there any problems with sharing Office 2000 (Excel and Word) files with a mac?  I would like to bring Excel files home on a CD work on them with the mac then bring them back to work.  Is that possible without much trouble?
Thanks

Bemopti123

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2005, 01:22 pm »
Maxcast, the Macs have been offering the Superdrive and other features that allow interchange of Microsoft word, Excel and other such type of files without any hitch since a while back.  You should not have any problems reading or transporting things back and forth from this sort of programs and even when they are PC based.  Now, does this mean that Mac banishes the nemesis of "The file you are trying to read from XXXX drive is unable to open" screen?  That I cannot guarantee.  It is one of the most maddening things I have seen happen way too often with Microsoft Word files on Windows.

Brad

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2005, 01:54 pm »
The only issue with the 12" iBook would be the screen size if you're trying to show something to a customer.  The 14" is a couple of hundred more expensive.   If you go Apple, be sure to max out the memory.  OSX loves memory, possibly more than Windows XP.

MOST laptops made these days are pretty good, though.
Dell, HP, Toshiba, IBM are all good.

The file format for Microsoft office is the same for PC and MAC.  There are no issues moving files from one system to another.   I actually like Office on the mac better than office on the PC.

MaxCast

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2005, 02:39 pm »
Thanks a bunch guys!!!

John Ashman

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2005, 03:21 pm »
I got my 14" at CompUSA for $999, it was the previous $1400 or $1500 model about one month ago.  They didn't even know they had it.  It's exactly the same as the current 12" but has the screen and something else.

Christof

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2005, 01:49 am »
Thanks for the recommendations guys.  I just ordered the 14" iBook and added an extra 512 MB to get it up to 768MB total. :)

Now I'd like to ask what is the best way to connect into a 2-ch system as a CDP?  I've got a Dared SL2000A pre and a couple different pairs of Dared tube monoblocks along with a pair of Abbys that are just sitting around unused.  This might make for a nice bedroom sys.

c.

Bemopti123

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2005, 02:27 am »
I think you can do a DAC through one of the USB connections and then on to your system.  Check out something I found in the net.  There must be other, better ones that people must have discussed already.

http://www.exhardware.com/reviews.php?Id=112&Page=3

Tell us how you like your IBOOK.

Bemopti123

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2005, 02:31 am »
A tweaked USB DAC information

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=14625&highlight=usb+dac

doesn't the info sound sonically yummy?

Brad

« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2005, 02:33 am »
I have used the 1/8" stereo out jack from my iBook into my Scott tube integrated and gotten really good sound (using a Rat shack adapter)

There is also a company on 'gon marketing an "iPod" connection cable that is the same thing, but a little nicer.  1/8" stereo mini to RCA.

You could also get a USB-connected DAC or soundcard if you want to spend a little more money.

There is some great apps for the Mac right now.  OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle are terrific.   The Outliner is a great way to jot down and quickly organize your thoughts.  Omnigraffle has most of the power of Visio and is much easier to use.   I haven't used iLife '05 yet, but they have made some good improvements.   Have fun with it!

John Ashman

« Reply #17 on: 22 Feb 2005, 04:22 am »
i think it makes most sense to use the Airport Express for $130 and then add a cheap used DAC.  I tried the analog out and it was clearly a huge disappointment.  The Airport playing through an outboard DAC is amazing. The sound is so good, it almost seems better than CD, but maybe it's just the fact that I'm ejoying it so much.

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2005, 04:56 am »
John,

Just curious.  You don't run the DEQX system through an Apple/MAC do you?

John Ashman

« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2005, 05:18 am »
No, I've got a cheap, used $250 laptop that does all my audio duties - remotes, meridians, DEQX, NAD, touchpads, crap, just about everything custom install now.  But that's ALL it does.