• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Mike Pickett
« on: 29 Apr 2020, 04:43 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Mike  Pickett – Service Above & Beyond

May 2020

Folks I received this email from a customer of ours regarding Mike Pickett.

Given what we are all going through currently I am extremely proud of the fact that Bryston has these kind of dedicated individuals working with us.

James,

Seriously.  Give Mike Pickett a raise.  He does so much to represent your company to the enthusiasts, and answers emails so eloquently, he needs to be rewarded for going above and beyond the norm in the industry.  He is a great "face" to your company.

In the past two weeks he has answered a flurry of my emails over several topics.  He has walked me through a minor revision to my BP-25 so that I could use the BCD-1 remote on it.  You had directed another forum member to him in public for this in the past, so I followed that path, and was rewarded.

He also validated and gave some suggestions to how I might investigate (and repair) my BP-25 that seems in prior life with prior owners to have had very stiff XLR cables or an element of abuse that caused several of the solder points from XLR sockets to "come loose".  I'm very, very much aware that most companies would NOT give advice to a owner in this situation, but over the years, I have worked with Mike on other minor repairs for out of warranty equipment damaged in shipping or purchased used, and coming to me with problems.

In addition he has recently guided me with great detail and explanation on the subtle differences in Power Supply options for my BP-25 and cabling etc.  It has been wonderful getting prompt and accurate responses and explanations.  I appreciate the explanations very much, as my personality is one that wants to know why, not just how.

I told him I'd tell you to give him a raise, his response was more or less that he can't wait to get back to seeing his co-workers in person.  Speaks to a good place to work.

Thank you again for all you do for us.

I always feel bad that I'm not a consumer of brand new equipment, but tend to fish in the used end... but I remind myself that people like me drive the high residual value that makes owning Bryston so attractive too.

Alex Lipowich.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Mike Pickett
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2020, 05:06 pm »
I agree  :thumb:

So....how 'bout a raise for MP?
  :D

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2020, 07:08 pm »
Agree!!

Pundamilia

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2020, 07:26 pm »
How about asking Chris and Brian for a raise for James. He does a wonderful job as Bryston's ongoing face to existing and potential new customers (not to mention his contributions to Todays Smile). He is so knowledgeable about so many things-Bryston and if he doesn't know he either finds out and respond to questions himself or sends us to someone who does (like Mike or Chris). I don't know whether or not managing this discussion circle is part of his job description, but he does a great job as a Bryston ambassador. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2020, 08:12 pm »
+1 for Mike raise. James is the Bryston V.P.

spinner

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2020, 10:47 pm »
 Yes sounds good... he well deserves it.... :thumb: :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2020, 12:05 am »
VPs give themselves raises.   :green:

M3 EuroLTW

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2020, 03:26 am »
I've generally gone anon in this forum, but I'll take a peek out from behind the curtain.  James, Mike, and Dennis have been very helpful over the years. I think in these times of the Pandemic, in particular, its worth taking a moment, and simply being nice.  Costs nothing, and we have a lot of negativity around us, not just in our audio hobby, but in the internet world especially where keyboard warriors wage war on each other.

I've recently had a couple of bad experiences with a competing company that showed zero interest, nearly disdain when I reached out to ask about service. Another individual selling some used equipment dragged out shipping in a extremely frustrating way, and I ended up getting a refund.  So, when I started trying to consider how to replace what I had my heart set on, I asked a slew of questions from these guys, and they never blinked.  I have accumulated a silly number of Bryston amplifiers in the past 10 years, and with the Pandemic, finally decided that stress at work (MD) was out of control, I deserved a nice listening space for myself, as well as it was time to liquidate the old, generate some funds for building my Movie room..and clean up.  This created a flurry of activity, repairs, sending stuff in, and questions... Every single interaction has been just wonderful.

Now... if I could just make up my mind on what I want to do regarding pre-amp, DAC, PS and phono......I hesitate to post a thread on this, because it will expose the crazy state of mind I've wandered in to... where it just defies logic.

Carry on... nothing to see here....

Alex Lipowich (M3EuroLTW..... I Like BMW's, not just B&W, and have raced my BMW M3 LTW in the past with what we call a Euro Engine. Couple of hobbies!)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2020, 09:29 am »
I've generally gone anon in this forum, but I'll take a peek out from behind the curtain.  James, Mike, and Dennis have been very helpful over the years. I think in these times of the Pandemic, in particular, its worth taking a moment, and simply being nice.  Costs nothing, and we have a lot of negativity around us, not just in our audio hobby, but in the internet world especially where keyboard warriors wage war on each other.

I've recently had a couple of bad experiences with a competing company that showed zero interest, nearly disdain when I reached out to ask about service. Another individual selling some used equipment dragged out shipping in a extremely frustrating way, and I ended up getting a refund.  So, when I started trying to consider how to replace what I had my heart set on, I asked a slew of questions from these guys, and they never blinked.  I have accumulated a silly number of Bryston amplifiers in the past 10 years, and with the Pandemic, finally decided that stress at work (MD) was out of control, I deserved a nice listening space for myself, as well as it was time to liquidate the old, generate some funds for building my Movie room..and clean up.  This created a flurry of activity, repairs, sending stuff in, and questions... Every single interaction has been just wonderful.

Now... if I could just make up my mind on what I want to do regarding pre-amp, DAC, PS and phono......I hesitate to post a thread on this, because it will expose the crazy state of mind I've wandered in to... where it just defies logic.

Carry on... nothing to see here....

Alex Lipowich (M3EuroLTW..... I Like BMW's, not just B&W, and have raced my BMW M3 LTW in the past with what we call a Euro Engine. Couple of hobbies!)

Hi Alex

OK lets not go there (audio) - tell me about your M3 and the racing.  I have a 2018 M3 with the competition package and am thinking about racing.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2020, 04:42 pm »
Hi Alex

Thanks for the private message. :thumb:

james

marcosax

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2020, 12:34 am »
I became a Bryston fan when in 2010 (after owning mid-level hifi in the 80's and 90's) I finally managed to put together my dream system, around a Bryston BP20 (1994 preamp)  + 4BST (1997 poweramp) so I can be put together with Alex Lipowich in the share of consumers that makes owning a Bryston machine a long time love affair. Not to speak of the 20 yrs warranty!  Last week I've bought a brand new BDA-3, but that's another story :)
Well, in all these years I had the chance to get in touch with Brian and Mike.
Both have always been willing to help. Mike in particular, following a couple of technical issues I had, really showed how much he cared to resolve the issue, going well beyond what's general standard in tech support.

I can only have words of praise for these people.
And the machines they come up with ...

vonnie123

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2020, 03:55 am »
Mike Pickett has helped me out a couple of times as well.  I second the raise suggestion.

stonedeaf

« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2020, 01:51 am »
Ya -Give Mike a raise =he's earned it over and over again. My first interaction with Mike was a obscure question about the original Bryston Preamp -the 1B . By the time I owned one - they had been discontinued for well past 20 years. Still Mike was able to pull the covers off and come up with the answer . I was gobsmacked ! Long discontinued models usually rate a confused response along the lines of -"way before my time" (occasionally now days -"before I was born" -I'm gettin really old.). BTW- in terms of sorta reversing this post -congratulations to Bryston  ownership for being smart enough to treat employees like James and Mike well -let them build products they  can attach their names to with pride and hopefully pay them at least something close to what they are worth to the company.

mattau

« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2020, 12:55 pm »
Mike has been very helpful to me as well.  He is definitely the reason I am sticking with Bryston.

Timslim18

« Reply #14 on: 6 Oct 2020, 02:10 pm »
Mike has been very helpful to me as well.  He is definitely the reason I am sticking with Bryston.

+1

Barbour81

« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2020, 10:34 am »
Agred with above. Always takes time to reply thoroughly. Ive never experienced this with other manufacturers and is a key reason why I'll be looking to stick with Bryston components where possible