Advice.. mac mini server..🤔

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Advice.. mac mini server..🤔
« on: 24 Apr 2020, 06:20 pm »
Hello,
I'll try to make this short.. so, not to offend anyone.
I've sold my house, actually selling everything I have.
Going to live off grid..like a monk .😉

So, I have this mac mini server,  I used little and selling it, but I'd like the server completely avoid of any personal/financial information about me.
I did do my taxes on it several times and would like my information to remain anonymous..

Any procedures you'd recommend to clean it out and make it completely null of anything but the original mac server information on the unit.?

Thank you for you help,
👊😎

GentleBender

Re: Advice.. mac mini server..🤔
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2020, 06:26 pm »
This should do the trick. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065
I hope you enjoy your time off the grid.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2020, 06:39 pm »
Is it a hard drive or SSD?

Do you have FileVault turned on?

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:05 pm »
JohnR...

HD and no ..

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:10 pm »
JohnR...
I'm off line, and have no internet at the time..
My cable provider is doing massive restructuring and I won't have internet for a week.. :duh:
Can this still be done..?

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:37 pm »
Well, they say that if you really want to be sure, remove the drive and smash it...

If you haven't already deleted the files, "rm -P" in the terminal looks like a good way to do so as it does overwrite the file several times.

My method for dealing with it after that would be to boot from an external drive and wipe the internal drive with several passes, then delete the partition table and then run the Mac installer on it. I'm not sure what the Recovery mode at the link from GentleBender does exactly.

I guess that''s not very helpful as you wouldn't be able to download the mac installer.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:49 pm »
JohnR...
I can delete it all,  then the next person can install what they want on it..
I feel ok just erasing it, I believe..

It's a good unit, I'm just not needing it anymore 
Someone will get good use out of it, I'm sure..

Thanks..👊😎

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2020, 08:06 pm »
Off grid in a cabin or RV?  If that’s ok to ask? Would like to more about choice if you are willing to share.

For an off grid cabin system I would go with Pioneers best deck, forgot the name and it’s in my Jeep, PR 99 something? the Mosconi 100.4 amp and my GR Super V / Super Mini combo, or Spacial audio x5s.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Stage4/DEX-P99RS

Even system would be what I have in the Jeep, same as above only with Golden Ear Sat 3s and JL sub.

And if I was starting audio all over again, on the cheap, I would gravitate to the cabin system, and probably make my own OB speakers.

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2020, 10:40 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2020, 08:07 pm »
You should still be able to do what you need to without a computer. (How are you making these posts though?)

You can erase the HD and leave it to the next owner to install a fresh OS. Applecare can help you do it if you call them at 800-275-2273. It'll need to be connected to keyboard, monitor, and mouse.

If you can, delete the device from your Apple accounts. You can do this from an ipsad or iphone IIRC.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2020, 08:20 pm »
You should still be able to do what you need to without a computer. (How are you making these posts though?)

You can erase the HD and leave it to the next owner to install a fresh OS. Applecare can help you do it if you call them at 800-275-2273. It'll need to be connected to keyboard, monitor, and mouse.

If you can, delete the device from your Apple accounts. You can do this from an ipsad or iphone IIRC.

I'm making posts from my phone..
My home computer is off line..
And yes, I'll just let the next owner apply the OS they want or desire..

Thanks..

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2020, 08:23 pm »
Off grid in a cabin or RV?  If that’s ok to ask? Would like to more about choice if you are willing to share.

For an off grid cabin system I would go with Pioneers best deck, forgot the name and it’s in my Jeep, PR 99 something? the Mosconi 100.4 amp and my GR Super V / Super Mini combo, or Spacial audio x5s.

Even system would be what I have in the Jeep, same as above only with Golden Ear Sat 3s and JL sub.

And if I was starting audio all over again, on the cheap, I would gravitate to the cabin system.

Rocket Ronny

I've been pondering this scenario,  and I haven't gotten to a working system yet..
But, I think a 12volt battery and a duel car stereo deck, should work with my speakers..
It wont be super loud, but I should be able to get some music...

Sold my house a few days ago, I'm about to get out of the city... it's been a long time,  researching and saving for the chance .

Cheers,
Virgil

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2020, 09:20 pm »
Good for you. Might need more batteries.

I love the pioneer P99R, Mosconi amp and Golden Ears.

Rocket Ronny

mikeeastman

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2020, 09:34 pm »
If you don't mind me asking were are you going? My wife and I have lived off the grid for 28 years and we love it. I've been an off the grid general contractor for over 25 years so if you have any questions on any of the off the grid system PM me.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2020, 09:42 pm »
If you don't mind me asking were are you going? My wife and I have lived off the grid for 28 years and we love it. I've been an off the grid general contractor for over 25 years so if you have any questions on any of the off the grid system PM me.

Ok,
I'm looking around Missouri,  right now..
But,  not completely sure where I will end up..

As far as getting set up,  I got a very good business plan worked out...  although it will take some sacrifice,  I'll get it done..

Congratulations on your life outside the grid...
I'll PM , if I come up with anything I can't understand..

Thanks..

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2020, 09:48 pm »
Good for you. Might need more batteries.

I love the pioneer P99R, Mosconi amp and Golden Ears.

Rocket Ronny

Yea, I understand..
I think I'll just charge some extra batteries off grid.. thru my solar power system...
Then just run a deck to my speakers for music.. they are pretty sensitive,  so they should be okay for some lower volume music, in the evening time..
I wont have the quality of music, but I'll have some music...
I got a lot of building to get done this spring, summer before I can get any extra luxuries in the making..

I've been working on this plan for over 15 years..
So, I'm very anxious... 
👊😎