New 3-way design sneak peek.

Jason1

« Reply #60 on: 31 May 2005, 12:44 am »
The tweeter is the GR-T2 and the woofer is the GR M-130.

Danny Richie

Finishes
« Reply #61 on: 31 May 2005, 02:22 am »
Reminds me a bit of the Audes Orpheus

Those look really good.

Of coarse the great thing about building a kit is you can finish they any way you want, and this design really opens up the possibilities for what can be done and it look good.

I look forward to seeing pics of the pair Al just finished with all the drivers mounted. I think all the Black drivers will really tie in the Black side panels and it will have a really nice look.

Well, I tried to read most of these 6 pages, but didn't see anywhere in Houston where I can hear them?
I noticed they might(?) go to Dallas and I'd be willing to drive up there to hear them... LMK, please.

If you really want to hear a pair of them and don't mind making a trip to Dallas then I can meet you at Dodd Audio on a Saturday and you can hear them there.

I took this pair there when they were plan MDF and they got passed around for a few weeks with some of the guys down there. They were a pretty big hit.

I remember listening to them at Dodd Audio with a hand full of guys, and looking right at the speaker with it playing and not being able to tell if it really was playing because there really didn't seam to be any sound coming from the speaker itself. The sound stage was all behind the speaker and from everywhere. To say the least, they really sounded good there.

Brian71

« Reply #62 on: 31 May 2005, 02:29 pm »
If you guys do this on a sat, please post when.  
I wouldn't mind hearing them and I'm sure Mike N would come too.

samplesj

BiAmping and Sensitivity question
« Reply #63 on: 1 Jun 2005, 08:21 pm »
If the 12 is driven with a plate amp (or any external amp) can the top end sensitivity change?

I'm guessing that the top is padded down to match the bottom, but if we don't drive them from the same amp then is it necessary anymore?  In other words couldn't we just turn up the plate amp higher and remove the top end padding.  Could we just leave out a few crossover parts or is it more complicated than that?

I'm asking because I'd like to see how this would play with SET or maybe even Tripath and on paper the 87dB isn't even close to enough for lower powered amps.

Danny Richie

A/V-4
« Reply #64 on: 1 Jun 2005, 08:41 pm »
If you guys do this on a sat, please post when.
I wouldn't mind hearing them and I'm sure Mike N would come too.

I am sure we can put something together in the Dallas area. We might have to arrange a party and invite all the North Texas Audio Jam to come.

samplesj,

The sensitivity of the M-130 and side loaded woofer matches. The only padding is on the tweeter circuit.

One could add a plate amp to the side loaded woofer and save about $50. worth of crossover components used in the low pass filter. You'd need one with a variable phase control to get it dialed it though.

I had been driving a pair of them with a 30 watt single ended Class A amp to good levels. Any amps smaller than that though might not do it for you.

RAW

« Reply #65 on: 22 Jun 2005, 07:12 pm »

Now package them up and off to Danny they go.
High gloss black sides with high gloss laquer Maple. :o

Al

brj

« Reply #66 on: 22 Jun 2005, 07:29 pm »
Very nice!

Have any more pictures?  I'm curious to see a side shot and a closer view of the back with the open cavity...  (I assume it has a grill?)

Danny, any chance you are going to keep these around the DFW area long enough for a jam?

Danny Richie

« Reply #67 on: 22 Jun 2005, 10:27 pm »
Al has lots more pictures he will post later today or tomorrow.

Al, start a new thread with the pics.

I will have this pair some time next week and they are going to stay with me. I need a nice looking demo pair on hand.

I had Al use the Maple and Black trim so that they would match other models that I have on hand that are that way.

Brian, I will be more than glad to bring this pair down for the next Audio Jam get together. It's about time to set up a new meeting. I might have a couple of new things to let you guys evaluate for me.

RAW

« Reply #68 on: 22 Jun 2005, 11:46 pm »
New thread.Come on over 10,000 views on this thread 8)

Will do.

Al :mrgreen:

J North

« Reply #69 on: 23 Jun 2005, 12:14 am »
how do they sound, AL?????

NealH

« Reply #70 on: 23 Jun 2005, 01:35 am »
Very nice looking speakers.  Will these be available assembled and finished or, diy only?

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 23 Jun 2005, 04:29 am »
Very nice looking speakers. Will these be available assembled and finished or, diy only?

These can be ordered fully assembled straight from Raw Acoustics.

I am more than glad to just send out the kits.  :D

RAW

« Reply #72 on: 20 Jul 2005, 06:19 pm »
:(  :(  :cry:  :evil:  :nono:
Well those waiting for Danny to get the AV4 going.
You are going to have to wait a little longer.Sorry for the delay but can you all say UP$ did a ton of damage.
Not worth refixing so we are in the middle of getting a new pair ready to go.

Not what you want by any means all that work $$ down the drain :evil:
And not cheap cabinets.
Anyway this is for those waiting for a update.

Will keep you in touch.

Al

wshuff

« Reply #73 on: 24 Nov 2005, 05:34 pm »
So what ever happened to this one?

Danny Richie

« Reply #74 on: 24 Nov 2005, 05:41 pm »
Its a great design and has been finished up for some time now. It just hasn't made it to the web site yet.

All is in stock and ready to ship.

Danny Richie

A/V-4
« Reply #75 on: 28 Nov 2005, 05:15 pm »
Okay, all A/V-4 info is up on the web site now.