The fate of Hi-End Audio?

bacobits1

Re: The fate of Hi-End Audio?
« Reply #100 on: 4 May 2020, 05:23 pm »
Question, all these foolish $$ how do you keep the tape from deteriorating/oxidizing as in the past?
It's dead leave it alone.
I was into it at one time too, had some nice decks (X2000R, RS1520US, others) till the tape crapped out.
Probably 30 R2R's a lot of music all gone.

R. Daneel

Re: The fate of Hi
« Reply #101 on: 4 May 2020, 05:34 pm »
My post was simply for info. No way would I spend that amount.. I do have a Sony TC-765 that has been fully serviced and has excellent SQ. Several sources for blank tape are out there.
I do enjoy using it and when recording from vinyl I get very good results. I understand why people have moved on but I wonder if they would go back to it if they could hear just how good tape can be when paired with more modern electronics.

I appeciate the info, thanks!

Well, they might like what they hear but would they be willing to spend the money? Possibiy if it cost less.  Say you go out to find a good Teac X-2000R. It's an auto-reverse deck so it is simpler to use. But you need to get it serviced and this will cost you. If the heads are knackered, you'll need to have them relapped and this costs too. If one of the controls has broken off, you'll have to buy a spare and have it replaced. In the end, tape itself is expensive. So, even if people like the sound, it is not likely they will get into the format. It is no coincidence open reel was quickly overshadowed by the 'cartridge' system. Though I wouldn't mind using one personally, I doubt many people would.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #102 on: 4 May 2020, 06:12 pm »
Question, all these foolish $$ how do you keep the tape from deteriorating/oxidizing as in the past?
It's dead leave it alone.
I was into it at one time too, had some nice decks (X2000R, RS1520US, others) till the tape crapped out.
Probably 30 R2R's a lot of music all gone.

I appreciate what you are saying. Modern tape is likely better. Would seem so since it is still being used.
As for it being dead, you may be correct but there is enough hardware and anything needed to allow one to dabble with it.
Repairs are expensive and probably the most difficult thing is to find someone that has the tools and equipment let alone the skills to do the repairs.
Let's not forget that music on new tape is available. Very expensive and unless you have a machine that can do 15ips you can't use it.

http://www.erhard-audio.com/ does offer some great upgrades as well for tape enthusiasts. Bypassing the internal preamp is a bit of a game changer.....

https://bottlehead.com/product-category/kits/reel-to-reel/ Is also into it.

Well, they might like what they hear but would they be willing to spend the money? Possibiy if it cost less.

Likely you are correct but when I see what a power cable can sell for I have to believe that many could afford to go with tape..
Not many will though because of all that goes into that end of the hobby. Takes some effort to record, maintain things. Digital is far easier but sometimes the effort is the draw..

Cheers!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #103 on: 4 May 2020, 10:22 pm »

Not many will though because of all that goes into that end of the hobby. Takes some effort to record, maintain things. Digital is far easier but sometimes the effort is the draw..

Cheers!

What do you do with a tape you dubbed from an lp? I used to record albums on to cassette for the car, or give to friends, but I rarely played them on the stereo.

toocool4

« Reply #104 on: 4 May 2020, 10:54 pm »
I agree with you timind, I record music I like so much that I want to listen to on the move. I record purely so I can listen to them on my commute to and from work, at home I will dig out the vinyl and play that as I want the best possible experience at home.

My recording for commute are the next best thing to my home experience, I make my recording on Nakamichi CR-7 onto TDK MA-XG’s. On the move I use in rotations of a week at a time, Sony WM-D6C, Sony WM-DC2 and Sony WM-DD9. All with an external amp plugged into line-out on the D6C, DC2.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #105 on: 4 May 2020, 11:22 pm »
What do you do with a tape you dubbed from an lp? I used to record albums on to cassette for the car, or give to friends, but I rarely played them on the stereo.

Hey Tim, I usually have tape running once or twice a week for evening listening sessions. I do it because the sound is pretty good and like most old mechanical gear it needs to be run to keep the lube from drying out. I tape lp's directly from my phono preamp. SQ is better this way. I do play back through my tube preamp. I have done playback directly to my amp using the tape machines volume control.

For music on the go I record from my pc to either micro SD or memory stick.