Possibly a Stupid Newb Question

toocool4

Re: Possibly a Stupid Newb Question
« Reply #20 on: 8 Apr 2020, 04:13 pm »
ric i think you have been watching some April Fools vids, 3D printed records in the near future? I don't think so.

Douger

« Reply #21 on: 8 Apr 2020, 08:08 pm »
Hey AJ, if you are able to adjust the height of the whole arm you can adjust that way, if not maybe you are replacing a mat and can get the same thickness... If not, don't bother. The acromat rewards precision if you can achieve it :D

ric

« Reply #22 on: 9 Apr 2020, 01:12 pm »
Yes, you're right! Let me wipe the gullible egg off my face! :roll: :roll: :roll:

ajzepp

« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2020, 01:52 pm »
Its only day one of having everything up and running, but im really struggling trying to not get frustrated. So far, things sound God awful. Thin, lifeless, just complete crap. I balanced the tonearm, got the tracking force and antiskate set, used the cleaning brush on the vinyl, and... :scratch:  The clicks and pops are much more frequent than I expected, as well.

Not really sure what to do next. Maybe watch a movie lol.

ric

« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2020, 02:02 pm »
Yes, there are a lot of varibles, phono stage, amp, speakers, etc. Recently I got my cartridge back from being retipped and at first the sound was not so good. I really needed to readjust everything, so just adjust what you can and listen to different records, get somebody to help? Good luck!

ajzepp

« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2020, 02:10 pm »
Yes, there are a lot of varibles, phono stage, amp, speakers, etc. Recently I got my cartridge back from being retipped and at first the sound was not so good. I really needed to readjust everything, so just adjust what you can and listen to different records, get somebody to help? Good luck!

Thats what makes it harder to troubleshoot since im new to the vinyl side. If these pops would just be less frequent that would help. Its very distracting.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #26 on: 11 Apr 2020, 02:22 pm »
Thats what makes it harder to troubleshoot since im new to the vinyl side. If these pops would just be less frequent that would help. Its very distracting.
How are you cleaning your records? A good cleaning will eliminate most if not all of those pops unless there is a scratch or other damage to the groove. I clean all of my records in an ultrasonic machine and experience very, very few pops. If I hear one I reclean the record and it almost always disappears. An inexpensive Spin Clean is labor intensive, but does a pretty good job.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #27 on: 11 Apr 2020, 02:32 pm »
Our vinyl-lady is spot on as usual.  A cleaning system is essential to enjoying vinyl, and ultrasonic is the best cleaning option.  Most pops and tics are dirt, unless scratches are clearly visible.  Occasionally, but unfortunately not rarely, a pressing will have flaws that manifest themselves as tics. 

ajzepp

« Reply #28 on: 11 Apr 2020, 02:43 pm »
So far im using a spray solution and brush from Big Fudge. Is there any other way to clean without having to drop hundreds on an ultrasonic cleaner?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #29 on: 11 Apr 2020, 03:01 pm »
Occasionally, but unfortunately not rarely, a pressing will have flaws that manifest themselves as tics.
For me, this is the most frustrating thing about vinyl. Pressing flaws certainly are not as rare as they should be.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #30 on: 11 Apr 2020, 03:07 pm »
So far im using a spray solution and brush from Big Fudge. Is there any other way to clean without having to drop hundreds on an ultrasonic cleaner?
I mentioned spin clean, https://spinclean.com/. It’s not ultrasonic clean, but it does a reasonably good job. Several on line vendors sell various record cleaning machines at all price levels. Here is a page from Music Direct’s website, https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?searchterm=Record%20cleaning&sort=popularity%7CDESC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 11 Apr 2020, 03:22 pm »
As vinyl_lady notes  -
An inexpensive Spin Clean is labor intensive, but does a pretty good job.

Seems mine was about $80. You can also watch for used cleaners, such as VPI, Oki Noki, etc. I think the Oki Noki I bought new was maybe $399 on sale. The Record Doctor cleaner appears comparable with models at $200 & $300 various places. As noted it will make a difference in most cases. As v_l notes there are several less expensive options. Happy listening.

toocool4

« Reply #32 on: 11 Apr 2020, 05:23 pm »
Like the vinyl_lady said your best option on the cheap is the Spin clean. Oki Noki may be cheap, but the noise will drive you mad.
I use a Loricraft which is whisper quiet, but again not cheap.

Another thing you can look at is a static gun, static creates clicks and pops too. I use the Furutech De-Stat III, but there are cheaper brands too.

ajzepp

« Reply #33 on: 12 Apr 2020, 03:11 pm »
Thanks Vinyl Lady, and thanks all. I guess I figured buying new records wouldnt need cleaning lol. I probably shouldve thought this through a bit more.

I can only assume that you folks go through all this trouble because you feel vinyl offers you something that CDs or streaming music cannot. Hopefully at some point Ill start to see that, as well.

Will follow the advice given...thanks again :)

toocool4

« Reply #34 on: 12 Apr 2020, 06:12 pm »
I clean all records before playing them, new or old they all get cleaned and put in new anti-static sleeve. Keeping my records clean means better sound and my stylus lasts longer.

I buy records because i have a lot invested in my vinyl setup, not because i think it’s better than CD or whatever. In fact i don’t think one sounds better than the other, both done well sounds excellent just different to each other.

For me to get a CD player to match my record player, i would have to spend loads of money.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #35 on: 12 Apr 2020, 11:39 pm »
It sounds like you have a couple of things going on.
You want something with a vacuum wand to suck the crud out of the grooves if you're not going ultrasonic.
Cartridges take time to break in just as speakers do.  Ortofon said to just leave it sitting on a non-playing album to help loosen up the suspension.
Do you have the tracking force set up correctly?  Azimuth okay? 
Get a magnifying glass and a strong light and see what the angle is where the stylus is on the album: you want it to be angled backwards just a bit (I believe 20 degrees is the magic number).

When you get everything right you'll know it with 3.6s.

ajzepp

« Reply #36 on: 13 Apr 2020, 04:26 pm »
Quick update.

So a vinyl guy I know suggested that I should try just cleaning the new records with mild liquid dish detergent and warm water since that should be sufficient for those. I did that for the Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Ray Vaughn albums, and it seems to have worked. Havent heard a single pop. Ill get something more substantial for the used one ive got.

Also, Im a complete dumbass. This Schiit Mani has a whole bunch of slider settings on the underside of the unit (wtf). They appear to be gain and load settings. Can someone give me a heads up on what that pertains to? Is that matched to the cart?

Steve, Im sure Ive got the tonearm balanced correctly and the antiskate set. As far as Azimuth, no idea what Harry Potter has to do with my turntable  :scratch:  The break in is duly noted, though. Muchas gracias.

TooCool: Thanks, that makes perfect sense.

toocool4

« Reply #37 on: 13 Apr 2020, 06:29 pm »
Check the instructions that came with your Grado cartridge or check on their website for the correct loading etc that cartridge needs. Every cartridge has a best settings to make it sound it’s best, Grado will have a setting you need to set up on your phono stage for that cartridge.

Imagine you playing a record at the wrong speed, it will not sound correct. Not quite the same but think along those lines with regard to setting the dip switches wrongly on your phono stage.

ajzepp

« Reply #38 on: 14 Apr 2020, 02:17 am »
Check the instructions that came with your Grado cartridge or check on their website for the correct loading etc that cartridge needs. Every cartridge has a best settings to make it sound it’s best, Grado will have a setting you need to set up on your phono stage for that cartridge.

Imagine you playing a record at the wrong speed, it will not sound correct. Not quite the same but think along those lines with regard to setting the dip switches wrongly on your phono stage.

Thanks, will do. I actually have an Ortofon Blue cart. I had to make a change in the turntable purchase since U-Turn Audio was shut down d/t the virus. I picked up a Fluance RT85 with the ortofon since it seemed to punch above it's weight and had solid reviews. It sure is a beautiful piece of equipment. I'll check out the settings recommended by Ortofon...much appreciated!

PS. You all were spot on about the washing thing. I have not heard a single peep, pop, or click on the records I washed. SO much more enjoyable now.