How do Bass Traps "really" work?

John Casler

« Reply #40 on: 23 Feb 2005, 10:25 pm »
In all fairness to Eighth Nerve, I don't think their "tri-cornered" units are designed to have much affect on Low Frequencies.

ctviggen

« Reply #41 on: 23 Feb 2005, 10:35 pm »
No, they're not, but you need some high frequency treatments, too, and the corner is a good place to put them.  My dealer (Rupesh) brought over some 8th Nerve stuff, and I was impressed at how well it worked for as small as it was.  I think there a place for both huge (Real Traps) and small (8th Nerve).   Putting a Mondo trap in corners isn't going to be a hit in the WAF department, for most wives (my girlfriend says that even if she became my wife she wouldn't mind the Real Traps -- as long as it's one room).

Carlman

« Reply #42 on: 24 Feb 2005, 03:05 am »
I have used 8th Nerve's pillows for a while and I'm quite pleased with what they do.  Their goals are to work with the room instead of against it which is generally a good thing.

However, I now have a room that I'd like work against.  I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.cascadeaudio.com/pdf/Sound_Shape.pdf

I don't know much about Cascade Audio but they seem to have some good ideas.

Anyone have any experience with them?

-C

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #43 on: 24 Feb 2005, 04:47 pm »
Nathan,

> Okay, so my first sketch wasn't the greatest. <

Why does the guy look like Alfred E. Newman? :rotflmao:

Understand that one problem with certain sizes and shapes is FedEx and UPS have limits on how big a box they'll carry.

All I can say is "We're working on it." 8)

--Ethan

nathanm

« Reply #44 on: 24 Feb 2005, 11:39 pm »
Yeah, I figure it'd have to be shipped in two pieces and then stuck together.  I am not sure what exactly is inside a Real Trap though.  Is it fiberglass wrapped in fabric inside an aluminum "picture" frame or is there also a rigid piece of plywood\melamine in there?  I can understand if this is a company secret thing, but I thought I'd ask anyway.  If there is a rigid piece in there that might make the two-piece construction a bit impractical as I assume the board is supposed to flex as a single unit.  Hmmm...

Ahh screw it, I'll just get me some little wooden Mpingo dots, that'll do the same job at a fraction of the size!  They're Magicerific™ :wink:

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #45 on: 25 Feb 2005, 04:11 pm »
> I'll just get me some little wooden Mpingo dots, that'll do the same job at a fraction of the size! <

ROF,L!

Carlman

« Reply #46 on: 25 Feb 2005, 05:18 pm »
Just out of curiosity... when did Brother Theo's eyes start rolling?

Have they always done that or is it new?

nathanm

« Reply #47 on: 25 Feb 2005, 07:01 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
Just out of curiosity... when did Brother Theo's eyes start rolling? Have they always done that or is it new?

Not really "new" but yes, a few months ago it started.  From sheer exposure to hifi discussion he seems to be developing artificial intelligence.  Rolling eyes were the natural first step in the evolutionary process.  I have no control over it.  But don't be afraid, it's just a picture.  It can't get you.  Yet...