RIP Jeff Bagby

jsalk

RIP Jeff Bagby
« on: 25 Mar 2020, 06:44 pm »
I met Jeff at a DIY event back in 2002.  We brought a pair of our original HT1's and Jeff was excited to see a ribbon tweeter in a pair of speakers.  We struck up a conversation that lasted most of that afternoon and we've been friends ever since.

In the years that followed, we worked with Jeff on numerous speaker designs including the original HTS home theater systems, the Pharos and the Archos designs.  They were all first rate due to Jeff's efforts. Today, you can find the Bagby Continuum design on our web site.  Jeff has always been helpful and never asked for anything in return.  He just loved working on speaker projects.  it was one of the more enjoyable things in his life.

Jeff was a chief engineer at Chrysler's transmission plant in Kokomo, Indiana.  He was the only engineer there with no engineering background.  Jeff was a math genius.  And his true love was speaker design.  I think if Jeff had had a chance to work full-time in audio, he would have been in heaven.

He designed (and made available for free) math-heavy speaker design software we still use in our operations.

Over the years, I have spent quite a bit of time with Jeff and always found him to be a positive, energetic person.  He was deeply religious and the consummate family man.

Yesterday, Jeff passed away after fighting a losing battle with coronavirus.  With all that is going on right now, this really hit home with us.

We'll miss you Jeff...

- Jim

Ace Deprave

Re: RIP Jeff Bagby
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2020, 08:52 pm »
So very sad. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Jim.

Rest in Peace, Jeff.

JonnyFive

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2020, 10:41 pm »
So sad to hear this news, Jeff was an incredible contributor to the audio community.  He will be missed.

wushuliu

• “Everybody got to deviate from the norm”
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2020, 11:20 pm »
Oh my God. No.

No.

F*ck.

funkmonkey

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2020, 02:48 am »
So very sorry to hear that. Sincere condolences...

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2020, 04:37 am »
So very sad to hear. Jeff did so much for us.  :cry:

Here's just a sample: Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Software page

Rest in peace, Jeff.

DEP14

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2020, 12:44 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that and sorry for the loss of your friend.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2020, 08:25 pm »
Sad news. Sympathies to his family, and yours on the loss of a good friend.

benguin

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2020, 04:34 pm »
So sorry to hear of the loss of Jeff.  This is going to be a very rough patch for quite a while for many families and friends.

tonyptony

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2020, 10:55 pm »
So sorry to hear this. :cry:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2020, 11:09 pm »
This is sad news. I didn't know Jeff, but his legacy will live on in the DIY speaker world for some time, I imagine.

vintagebob

« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2020, 05:04 pm »
Oh my.  Sorry to hear this.  RIP Jeff.