New member - X-Statik or Studio Monitor

Mcelmins

New member - X-Statik or Studio Monitor
« on: 29 Feb 2020, 09:19 pm »
Hello All - I’m a new member to the site and very interested in purchasing my first pair of speakers from GR-Research. I’d like to stay under $1000 so I’ve been looking at the X-Statiks for months but now I’m also seeing the Studio Monitors and wondering which I should go with.  I know these are very different speakers but I’d like to hear some options on each.

My current setup consists of a pair of Paradigm Titan v3 bookshelf’s, PS Audio Sprout100 and an RSL Speedwoofer 10s.  My room is about 10x20 with concrete block walls (basement).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: New member - X-Statik or Studio Monitor
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2020, 12:34 am »
This is an easy one.  Although the Monitors may have an edge on upper detail, they really need subwoofers to make them complete-- placing them above your limit.  The X-Statics are pretty much complete as is.  The midrange is full and detailed, the bass is tight down to the upper 40's lower 50's.  A sub is a nice addition, but not necessary. 

Mcelmins

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2020, 03:40 am »
Great, thank you very much for the response!

Besides the crossover and tube connectors are there any other upgrade I should consider for the X-Statiks?  Has anyone used the Neo3 or M165NQ drivers in either the top or bottom half of that kit?  I’d guess this would require a total rework of the crossover but I’m just curious.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2020, 04:20 am »

Besides the crossover and tube connectors are there any other upgrade I should consider for the X-Statiks?  Has anyone used the Neo3 or M165NQ drivers in either the top or bottom half of that kit?  I’d guess this would require a total rework of the crossover but I’m just curious.

Like this? 

http://gr-research.com/cst-1.aspx

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2020, 04:21 am »

The X-Statiks are the X-Statiks. The similar design with a Neo3 tweeter and M165NQ midrange drivers is the NX-Otica.

Keithh

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2020, 01:57 pm »
Having both the X-Statiks and the Wedgies I would say go with the Studio Monitors.
My X-Statiks are upgraded with Sonicaps, tube connectors and No Rez. While I love the
X-Statiks and think they are one of the  best values in speakers, they just can't compete with
the Wedgies in any way. And from what I am reading I would bet that the Studio Monitors are better
than the Wedgies. Danny would have to weigh in on that one.

Since you already have a pretty good sub I would think about the Studio Monitors and adding a second sub.
That would be an incredible system for the money. Even just having the one sub now will be a great system
and will give you the opportunity to figure out what direction you want to go later.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2020, 04:47 pm »
I have the Statiks and still love them.  Being part open baffle they still need a few feet of space behind them to sound their best.  They sound better than they have any right to for the money.  With the sealed woofer cabinet they have decent bass.  I used them without a sub and didn’t miss it that much.  If you have a big room you may want a sub and I highly recommend the servo subs from Danny.

I haven’t heard the Studio Monitors but I have the Super 7 and they have the same tweeter.  The speed and resolution of the Neo3 tweeter in this arrangement is superior.  The midrange driver is better too.  There are trade offs though.  You NEED stands and a sub or two which adds to the cost.  But you also can have them closer to the front wall.

It’s a tough choice.  I could probably live with either one.  One thing I’ve learned being on the audiophile train for the last 25 years is to get the best speakers you can afford.  I really stretched my budget and waited for the Super7s and have no regrets.  Electronics evolve faster and can sound good at reasonable prices.

nickd

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2020, 05:12 pm »
Part of the decision may come down to placement options. The Studio Monitors are a bit more flexible in that regard. The X Statik’s need to be out in the room at least 3 feet to sound best. Some diffusion behind them helps the midrange too.

The wave guide on the Studios Neo 3 might help if you have side reflective surfaces.

Don’t think you can go wrong either way. I have owned X Statik’s for some years. They have never been for sale. Other than a Forte Model 1A amp, they are the only components that I have developed an unbreakable attachment too. I would think the Studio monitors will achieve that heirloom status in some household’s too.

Danny’s designs are unquestionably the best values the in the industry. They very in size and style over the years, but always musical and fun.

I’m writing while listening to a custom 4 way floor standing build using his crossover design and servo subs and my mind is blown every time I power up the system. Best sounding system I have ever owned, and that’s saying something. I have had some crazy exotic stuff over the years.

maty

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2020, 05:23 pm »
Years ago I decided that I only wanted speakers with one of these two options in the tweeter. To listen to very good music recordings.

* Coaxial

* Waveguide

For multimedia (TV, films, series, games) I would not be so demanding.

Mcelmins

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2020, 03:10 am »
Thank you all for all the valuable input you provided.  It’s a tough decision but I think I’m going to go with the Studio Monitors.  I read through the thread for those and I like the idea of down the road adding either a couple OB servo woofers or building out the bottom section of the X-static’s for underneath.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

VinceT

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2020, 06:57 am »
Hello

Not trying to hijack this thread by any means, but I have been considering the same models as the OP and wanted to add in the MTM NX Oticas into this comparison and if it could benefit this discussion in any way. I too am looking at the new studio monitors and would be also considering the Super Mini's if parts were available. I would consider adding a low mid sealed enclosure like the X statiks for low mids and a pair of servo subs. Lots of options and trying to wrap my head around these models. Hopefully some could chime in that has heard some of these to bring to the duscussion.

Thanks in advance  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2020, 03:17 pm »
Hello

Not trying to hijack this thread by any means, but I have been considering the same models as the OP and wanted to add in the MTM NX Oticas into this comparison and if it could benefit this discussion in any way. I too am looking at the new studio monitors and would be also considering the Super Mini's if parts were available. I would consider adding a low mid sealed enclosure like the X statiks for low mids and a pair of servo subs. Lots of options and trying to wrap my head around these models. Hopefully some could chime in that has heard some of these to bring to the duscussion.

Thanks in advance  :thumb:

If you have the space, the MTM X-Oticas are the way to go, IMO.  Especially if you're adding OB subs.  I've heard all the speakers you're considering.  And if you're going OB for the mids/highs, it'd be silly to seal the midbass, OB all the way IME.  In fact, OB bass is one of the biggest reasons for doing a speaker like the NX-Otica.  Do you have the ability to pull the speakers out so that the front baffle is 3 feet into the room?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2020, 05:00 pm »
Probably all agree that the NX-Otica with subs is a better sound than the X-Static,  but they're different classes of speakers.  The NX-Oticas are nearly 600% more expensive... and that's before you add another $1-1.5K for subs.  The OP stated a limit of $1K.  I still rec the X-Statics and a single sealed sub. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2020, 06:59 pm »
The OP stated a limit of $1K.  I still rec the X-Statics and a single sealed sub.

Yep, I second that.  For the money that’s a fantastic combo. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2020, 09:10 pm »
Yep, I second that.  For the money that’s a fantastic combo.

+1. For that budget, that's the way I'd go.

Mcelmins

« Reply #15 on: 5 Mar 2020, 12:05 am »
I decided to go with the X-Statiks with the upgraded crossover components and tube connectors.  I’ll be pairing them with my current sealed sub for now and likely down the road I’ll invest in OB subs.  Can’t wait to start the build! :D

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 5 Mar 2020, 12:28 am »
I decided to go with the X-Statiks with the upgraded crossover components and tube connectors.  I’ll be pairing them with my current sealed sub for now and likely down the road I’ll invest in OB subs.  Can’t wait to start the build! :D

Don’t make the mistake of getting impatient with the build and hook them up before you put the finish on the cabinets, “just to hear what they sound like”. You’ll have raw MDF cabinets in your system from then on.  :green:

VinceT

« Reply #17 on: 5 Mar 2020, 04:12 am »

Congrats!

VinceT

« Reply #18 on: 5 Mar 2020, 04:30 am »
If you have the space, the MTM X-Oticas are the way to go, IMO.  Especially if you're adding OB subs.  I've heard all the speakers you're considering.  And if you're going OB for the mids/highs, it'd be silly to seal the midbass, OB all the way IME.  In fact, OB bass is one of the biggest reasons for doing a speaker like the NX-Otica.  Do you have the ability to pull the speakers out so that the front baffle is 3 feet into the room?

Thanks Tyson for your input and appreciate mlundy57 putting up with me chiming in with my questions regarding these speakers

I do have the room to run a small open baffle set up, but my room is a bit of acoustical basket case which is a whole other discussion. I love speakers that create a great 3D soundstage, that would be my #1 priority, close second would be the rich and punchy low mid bass. I do love that tight clean fast bass and can't wait to try the OB subs. Concerned OB would not have that punch and heft I like in the low mid bass (say around the 100 hz range). That was another reason why I was considering the X-Statik or the monitors because they do have a blend of sealed mids and low mid but also have that high end OB magic. Trade offs...The small X-Oticas and the wedgies get rave reviews as well. It's difficult to tell in the sound clips how well the OB GR speakers sound compared to a live demo.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #19 on: 5 Mar 2020, 02:20 pm »
I hear people say that OB speakers don't have the impact that boxes can have but I think that may have been true with older simpler designs but not anymore. My Emerald Physics EP 2.7 OB's are very dynamic and have no lack of punch or impact. (of course these are much larger speakers) These are not Maggies in that regard. Also I find my open baffle speakers are more forgiving of room problems than the box speakers I have had, as long as you can give them the space they need from the walls. In fact minimizing room interactions is one of their selling points.