Interesting sound clips

Danny Richie

Re: Interesting sound clips
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:51 pm »
You can try to modify the dips at 350 Hz and 1.2 kHz with a minimum phase PEQ with high Q and < +/- 3 dB. When you are satisfied -> rePhase and then a convolution filter -> good soft player, as me with my modded KEF Q100.

-> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minimum-phase-vs-linear-phase.8762/post-253826

-> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minimum-phase-vs-linear-phase.8762/page-7#post-225351

What is a mistake is what most do, measure to equalize the entire band in frequency. And also with linear phase filters. You have to have good loudspeakers first! To listen to very good music recordings.

Matty, these things are already super smooth. Trying to EQ out ever little 1/2db wiggle is pointless.

There is no dip at 350Hz. What little one there is at 1.2kHz is not worth trying to fix. Besides it flattens out in the off axis.

You loose far more in digital manipulation and digital filters than a very slight amplitude blip will ever be.

Room reflections are going to be a far bigger issue than +/-1db ripples in the on axis.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:54 pm »
Danny - is the sound difference between the otica and nx tremes in the clips more so the added 4 woofers or more because of the crossover upgrades? Obviously they both play a roll, but to what %?

How much more would you get out of the crossover with all copper caps and no sonic caps?

The differences that you are hearing in the clips between those two models is all due to the higher end crossover parts.

And Tyson is right. You can get really close using Sonicaps and Miflex by-pass caps. But if money isn't an issue and you want the best of everything then those pure Copper Caps will certainly be the top dog.

maty

« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:12 pm »
I assume that measurements are made at the listening point by the owners. And if you spend so much money on the loudspeakers and subwoofers the room is acoustic conditioned or it will be.

As for digital filters, the problem is in the linear ones, not in the minimum phase ones, since they are equivalent to the traditional analogs. If it is a modern recording, so manipulated and with synthesized instrumentation, autotune... the use of linear filters may be less noticeable. In the near field it is all much easier, although it has other disadvantages such as loss of depth.

As the phase also changes, the measurement at the listening point should be good enough before being handled lightly. At the end, rePhase -> convolution filter.

If the loudspeakers measure poorly and / or the room is not conditioned then better forget about trying to improve the sound (music, good or very good recordings) via equalization, we will only use it to spice it up to our liking. Unfortunately it is the usual practice, they want to solve the irresolvable by simply measuring and equalizing. At least they enjoy it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:22 pm »
Measurements shown were made by me and were made using a gated time window. So there was no room interaction in the measurements.

And I really don't recommend any type of room EQ. Keep that stuff out of the signal path and treat the room as needed for best results.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #24 on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:31 pm »
The differences that you are hearing in the clips between those two models is all due to the higher end crossover parts.

And Tyson is right. You can get really close using Sonicaps and Miflex by-pass caps. But if money isn't an issue and you want the best of everything then those pure Copper Caps will certainly be the top dog.
So, is the consensus that the Miflex works better as a bypass cap than the Sonicap Platinum (when paired with a Sonicap GenI Cap)?

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:38 pm »
So, is the consensus that the Miflex works better as a bypass cap than the Sonicap Platinum (when paired with a Sonicap GenI Cap)?

I'm liking it better.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:44 pm »

Yes.  Back in the day the teflon caps were among the very best around, but time marches on and the Miflex are clearly better.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 2020, 10:22 pm »
I'm liking it better.
Danny, do you sell the Miflex in the .33 value (I don’t know how to get to the alternate keyboard with the little symbol  :green:)? Approx cost?

And of course, then I would have to trust my soldering skills and equipment again.  :oops:

maty

« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2020, 09:18 am »
The fantastic sound (with limitations of near field and loudspeakers near to walls) I have achieved has been thanks to two factors.

1º The improvement of the first order filter tweeter filter, with Miflex KPCU-01 0.01 uF 600Vdc and Mills MRA resistor. [IMG, link] https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=204399&size=huge

2º Have a reference recording in which I know how musicians are placed and with very good sound quality.

Without the above I would not have been able.

You already have a crossover with much better components than mine and you already have a quality bypass. For what it costs (Miflex bypass) I would try, although the improvement will not be as spectacular as in my case, I suppose.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2020, 03:39 pm »
I am sure Ron must have made sound clips of the Minis as well as the Line Force. How about posting those so the Audiofools here could access that.  8)

Rocket Ronny

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2020, 04:12 pm »
Ron mentioned in an earlier video that they intentionally didn't record the Super Mini or LineForce speakers due to the lack of availability of the Neo10 drivers. Also, because they didn't want to create too much hype or interest around something that isn't currently available, and likely to change.
And chances are, that once the replacement model that Danny is working on is available, it will have some differences from the original drivers that a current recording won't be able to accout for..

But give it time, and im sure we'll get a video when they're ready. :)

HT cOz

« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2020, 05:01 pm »
I've had both in my Super 7s.  IMO, you get 90% of the sound of the all-copper caps by using a Miflex bypass on the Sonicaps.  It's a very, very good sounding combo.  Money is better spent elsewhere.  Sonicaps plus Miflex are a big step up over the stock crossover (maybe 25% improvement in mid/highs).

I need to order some of those Milflex bypass caps!

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2020, 08:51 pm »
I spoke to a person who heard the Minis and Line Force and felt the Minis gave almost  98% of what the Line Force gives with most music. Perhaps he listened to more small scale songs, I don’t know. Also, that the Minis in some ways imaged better as well. Interesting. That’s why Ron needs to release those sound files. I am sure he recorded them even if only for himself to hear back at home.  O.k. I just watched Ron's video where he states he did not record those speakers.  8)

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2020, 11:40 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #33 on: 23 Feb 2020, 08:54 pm »
I spoke to a person who heard the Minis and Line Force and felt the Minis gave 98% of what the Line Force gives with most music. Perhaps he listened to more small scale songs, I don’t know. Also, that the Minis in some ways imaged better as well. Interesting. That’s why Ron needs to release those sound files. I am sure he recorded them even if only for himself to hear back at home.  8)

Rocket Ronny

Room size will also come into play.  In a small room, the Lineforce just won't fit.  In a small room the Super Mini is absolutely the way to go.  In a medium sized room, the Super 7.  In a large room, the Lineforce.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #34 on: 23 Feb 2020, 09:55 pm »
Yes, Sage advice.

Rocket Ronny