SOLD Onix Reference 3 Speakers w/ Danny Richie Designed Crossover (Colorado)

jn316

I bought these from Sean (Skiing Ninja) a few years ago. The cabinets were in really bad shape. See the thread and pictures here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140473.0

I fixed the cabinets and had friends of mine from an auto shop paint them GM Black Cherry. Full disclosure: there are some minor imperfections in the paint, but you have to look very close. One speaker also has three scratches (1" or less) on the front baffle. I filled them in with the same GM paint that was used to paint the speakers (I'll include that too). I took a picture of one of them. If you keep the grills on, you won't see any of them.

Sean sent these actual cabinets to Danny Richie (GR Research) to totally redesign the crossover. The crossover parts quality is really good (Sonicaps, Sonicap Platinum bypass caps, foil inductors, Mills resisters). See the pictures.

I pulled out the old cabinet dampening material and added NoRez throughout. I also added a pair of Electra Cable Tube Connectors in parallel with a pair of the original binding posts so you can use either one...and maybe do a sound comparison! I also converted the grills to magnetic ones.

They didn't come with bases so I made some that resemble the originals. They have inserts for spikes. I also built a pair of outriggers from 1/4" steel. You can have those too.

I'm asking $1500 $1400. Sean mentioned in the post above that the crossovers alone cost $750.

I'm restricting the sale to local (Colorado) only at this time. They are heavy (over 100 lbs each) and I don't have the original boxes. I am willing to travel a reasonable distance to meet someone, however.

A full review of the original speakers is here:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/onix-reference-3-speakers-11-2004.html
Danny's crossover, by most observers who have heard both, has taken it up a notch or two from the original.

The Ref 3 uses two 7” Atohm drivers, located above that they have a Vifa XT Concentric Ring Radiator tweeter, and above that a planar Magnetostat Super Tweeter.
Specifications:
• MFR (-3 dB): 28 Hz - 50 kHz
• System: 4-Way Rear-Ported
• Drivers:
o (2) Atohm 7"
o Vifa XT Concentric Ring Radiator,
o Magnetostat Super Tweeter
• Phase Response: Minimum ± 100
• Sensitivity: 90 dB @ 1 watt/1 meter
• Impedance: 4 Ohms
• Dimensions: 8.6" W x 12.6" D x 45" H
• Weight: 105 Pounds Each