LDR300x Preamp | Passive & Active Versions

Hikmer

Re: LDR300x Preamp | Passive & Active Versions
« Reply #20 on: 19 Aug 2020, 06:08 pm »
Good news, is the pre-order discounted?  I also see options for capacitor upgrades.  Can those be done at a later time?  Finally, is a remote included?  Don't see a TA option either.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #21 on: 19 Aug 2020, 06:23 pm »
Good news, is the pre-order discounted?  I also see options for capacitor upgrades.  Can those be done at a later time?  Finally, is a remote included?  Don't see a TA option either.

Pre-order discount - Given the relative aggressive pricing there's really no room for discounting these preamps. I did consider this since it's been customary to offer pre-order discounts.

Capacitor upgrades - Yes, these can be done down the road. It does require carefully removing and reinstalling soldered components but quite doable.

Remote control - Yes, all of our preamps are always remote control. We are, after all, civilized  ;)

TA Option - By this I assume you mean the discrete attenuator option in lieu of the LDR. After much back and forth on this I won't mince words. The LDR approach remains the better sonic option. I'd expected less of a difference and I'm actually quite agnostic as to which is better but so far the LDR wins so we are leading with what sounds better until something else comes along that beats it. I'm looking into an alternative discrete attenuator topology which may sound better than the logarithmic/ladder approach we currently have. We'll have to see how that goes.

Hikmer

« Reply #22 on: 19 Aug 2020, 06:39 pm »
Alright, appreciate the response.  Purchase made, glad you reduced the level of options :)  Now I need to find a new phono stage!
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2020, 11:50 pm by Hikmer »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #23 on: 19 Sep 2020, 03:30 pm »
Here's our first batch of product pics for the LDR300x.V3 Preamp.
Still need to get one made with the unit powered on with the OLED display showing.
We've started shipping these.  :thumb:

LDR300x.V3 Preamp | Active or Passive | https://tortugaaudio.com/products/passive-preamps/ldr300x-v3-preamp/

« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2020, 05:52 pm by tortugaranger »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #24 on: 23 Sep 2020, 08:46 pm »
Here's a decent pic of the LDR300x.V3 Active Preamp internals all dressed with VCAP reference series copper teflon output coupling caps. Amazing natural detailed sound.

https://tortugaaudio.com/products/passive-preamps/ldr300x-v3-preamp/

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #25 on: 25 Sep 2020, 02:15 pm »
A musical interlude (click on youtube video link) for our Tortuga Audio mascot hard at work keeping our OLED display healthy.
The screensaver kicks in automatically after 15 minutes of no control activity when the unit is on.
The slight flicker seen in this video is an artifact of fluorescent lighting interacting with the camera.
It actually doesn't flicker at all. 

Enjoy!
Morten

https://youtu.be/eGbH_h8wd5w

GentleBender

« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2020, 01:37 pm »
Looking good Morten.

uncola

« Reply #27 on: 3 Oct 2020, 02:05 am »
Sign me up for the west coast leg of the tour!  If hawaii counts as west coast.  Great job on keeping price low and your programming of the settings is impressive.  What's next, software tone controls?  ;)

Hikmer

« Reply #28 on: 3 Oct 2020, 04:46 pm »
I've had mine for about a week now and can say this pre-amp is an amazing little device.  While I can use it in pure passive mode, the active buffer really gives the music some weight and body.  It is three preamps in one if you consider all the settings (assuming you purchase the active model - pure passive, active buffered, active with 6 db gain).   Need to fine tune my setup as it is very revealing and I have found a number of areas in my system that needed tweaking or correcting.   I'm giving it a little more time to burn in before a proper review but it replaced a preamp that was 4 times the cost with very expensive tubes and I am not missing it. 

MttBsh

« Reply #29 on: 3 Oct 2020, 08:03 pm »
I've had mine for about a week now and can say this pre-amp is an amazing little device.  While I can use it in pure passive mode, the active buffer really gives the music some weight and body.  It is three preamps in one if you consider all the settings (assuming you purchase the active model - pure passive, active buffered, active with 6 db gain).   Need to fine tune my setup as it is very revealing and I have found a number of areas in my system that needed tweaking or correcting.   I'm giving it a little more time to burn in before a proper review but it replaced a preamp that was 4 times the cost with very expensive tubes and I am not missing it.

This is great to hear! I'm looking forward to auditioning the LDR300x in the coming weeks to determine if it's enough of an upgrade to displace my 6 year old Tortuga passive...

uncola

« Reply #30 on: 4 Oct 2020, 08:41 am »
I just noticed I missed out on the tour again for yet another generation of preamps  :cry:
Morten you're so good at programming the settings through the screen did you ever think of adding a DAC module to the preamp?  Like I know soekris has a small oem dac module board.. and the orchard audio guy has his pecan pi dac boards available

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #31 on: 4 Oct 2020, 12:27 pm »
I just noticed I missed out on the tour again for yet another generation of preamps  :cry:
Morten you're so good at programming the settings through the screen did you ever think of adding a DAC module to the preamp?  Like I know soekris has a small oem dac module board.. and the orchard audio guy has his pecan pi dac boards available

There's room on the tour. No worries. As for DACs I'm biased towards DACs being standalone components and am unclear on whether there would be demand for an integrated DAC/preamp. I'm broadly aware of the soekris DAC and believe ladder types are the way to go. Do you believe a visual front end for an OEM DAC board would be of interest and if so what functionality should it have?