Audio Cable Quality

Adarsh

Audio Cable Quality
« on: 15 Feb 2005, 11:09 am »
Hey there

Recently bought a pack of Daiyo Cables for my system. Can someone tell me how these cables fare, they were quite expenisve.

::SPECIFICATIONS::

Oxygen Free Copper (OFC)
24K Plated Gold
Metal Shiel
Tightly wound (Twisted Contact) dual conductors

Conductor: TPC
Average Crystal Size: 0.007mm
Crystal Per Metre: 150 000 pieces

Conductor: OFC
Average Crystal Size: 0.02mm
Crystal Per Metre: 50 000 pieces

------

Have a look folks

-Adarsh

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Missing most important spec.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2005, 11:38 am »
All those nifty specs about crystal size and not a word about distributed capacitance.

The distributed capacitance per foot of a cable lets you know how awful the cable load is to drive by the output stage of the driving source.  A really good cable like some Belden full braid shield types, will be as low as 10 pF per foot.  Some audiophlake brands will be 100 times that.

The capacitance of the cable is the same as tying a capacitor across the outputs of the driving unit.  You have all seen the tests results of this, transcient response is screwed up completely, square waves turn into ringing lumps.

Does this change the sound?  You bet.  Does it make it better?  Hardly.

Have the curiousity to actually find out what your cable is doing to the linearity of your equipment.

Of course that is no fun at all.

Frank Van Alstine

Adarsh

Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2005, 12:45 pm »
It's a 2 metre cable. How would you rate these cables? Are they better than average off-the-shelf?

-A

Adarsh

Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2005, 04:57 pm »
huh?

MaxCast

Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2005, 05:06 pm »
Well...if they are expensive they must be good!

nathanm

Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2005, 05:09 pm »
I rate them 76.25% +/-XQ, they are better than off-the-shelf cables made from cotton rope and licorice conductors for certain.  You've made an excellent choice.

My guess is that it probably sounds better with the cables in the system than without.  It take a large amount of voltage to get the signal to arc between component terminals, unless you get 3rd party modifications.  Cables are preferred.

Jay S

Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2005, 05:26 pm »
I would tend to agree.  The minimalist approach works better from amp to the speakers than from pre amp to amp since there is more current.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2005, 07:46 am »
You might want to pick up a pair of Monster Cables just to compare the two..... :wink:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2005, 12:19 pm »
I find it rather amazing that any actually useful advice posted at Audio Circle is almost always ignored.

Magic and snake oil and overpriced sugar pills rule!

Nobody seems to actually have the curiousity to want to learn what audiophlake gismos are actually doing to their system.  The six blind men and the elephant are at work over and over and over.

Why bother?

Frank Van Alstine

Adarsh

Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:07 pm »
I find it rather amazing that any actually useful advice posted at Audio Circle is almost always ignored.....Nobody seems to actually have the curiousity to want to learn what audiophlake gismos are actually doing to their system. The six blind men and the elephant are at work over and over and over.

What's that supposed to mean? Who ignored the 'useful advice'? In conjunction with taking advice, it must also be helpful to a fellow audiophile.
Unless you're the kinda weird and obsessive audiphile who forks out wads of cash all the time just cuz you received some 'useful advice'. I bet you're the one who actually is at 'work' all the time. What kind of statement is that anyway, "Nobody seems to actually have the curiousity to want to learn"?

That's why everyone is part of this forum, to learn, to take in 'useful advice'.   Most people don't have the capacity or the time to take in all 'useful advice'....they take in what's *relevant* to their needs. Did you spend all your time in the school library, reading every single book? "No", I think is the answer. You probably only read the books that seemed interesting after you read the synopsis.

It's an expensive hobby being an audiophile, we can't take all the 'useful advice', I guess borrowing books from a library is dirt cheap and that's where you can afford to take chances, take people's word, their 'useful advice'.

Maybe you're just tired of this whole audiophile thing. You've reached the end because you've moved too fast, or found out that it really isn't that important.. Found out that people without 'high end gear' are probably having more satisfaction from their systems than you are.  Found out that you will leave all these material things behind some day. Maybe you should consider moderation, maybe you should consider that we will never have the best sound.

How are you feeling?

Pick a side. We're here for you.

-A

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:33 pm »
Well,  

I don't see any of the following claims made by your Daiyo Cable.  

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/Audio-Cable-Vendor.html

Therefore, it must be one genuine, fine piece of audiophile equipment gauranteed to give the absolute best sound for your money! 8)

nathanm

oh fer crying out loud...
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:23 pm »
Quote from: Avahifi
I find it rather amazing that any actually useful advice posted at Audio Circle is almost always ignored.....Nobody seems to actually have the curiousity to want to learn what audiophlake gismos are actually doing to their system. The six blind men and the elephant are at work over and over and over.
Quote from: Adarsh
Maybe you're just tired of this whole audiophile thing. You've reached the end because you've moved too fast, or found out that it really isn't that important.. Found out that people without 'high end gear' are probably having more satisfaction from their systems than you are. Found out that you will leave all these material things behind some day. Maybe you should consider moderation, maybe you should consider that we will never have the best sound.

Yeah, or maybe he designs and builds hifi equipment for a living? :roll:

Adarsh, you started off by asking a question after the fact.  You bought something then presented its specs to other people seeking their opinion\approval.  That doesn't make any sense.  You're supposed to ask questions BEFORE you buy something.  You also want a simple, layman's answer of yes or no to a technical subject that requires a lot of background knowledge.  Avahifi has that knowledge and his answer reflected his own generalized disgruntlement with the cable industry and its lack of relevant specs.  So really it didn't even have anything to do with you or your question specifically.  But it doesn't matter because your question was vague and bordering on the ridiculous anyway.  Plug in the dang cables and use them, what's the big deal?  It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, if they are an improvement over this brand or that brand or whatever.  It's just a cable!  Obviously you already bought the thing so we can all assume that you did so for your own reasons and did your own research before buying.  It is a waste of time trying to seek anyone's approval over something so trivial, and even moreso since it is well after the fact.  Have you hooked them up yet?  Do they work?  No shorts or anything? Well then great!  Have at it! :thumb:

jholtz

Oh my God!
« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2005, 07:15 pm »
LOL! Do you have any idea who Frank Van Alstine is?  :lol:

Listen and learn....

My $.02 worth...

Jim

Quote from: Adarsh
What's that supposed to mean? Who ignored the 'useful advice'? In conjunction with taking advice, it must also be helpful to a fellow audiophile.
Unless you're the kinda weird and obsessive audiphile who forks out wads of cash all the time just cuz you received some 'useful advice'. I bet you're the one who actually is at 'work' all the time. What kind of statement is that anyway, "Nobody seems to actually have the curiousity to want to learn"?

That's why everyone is part of this forum, to learn, to ta ...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:09 pm »
Frank offers very high content value equipment that sounds good in plain black boxes and is constantly upgrading his products that often allows for an upgrade path for current owners of his products.  This approach is probably too old school and marketing unsavy to be appreciated by many of the people that could benefit from his common sense methods.

viggen

Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:11 pm »
This thread isn't a query about cables at all.  It is a trap to redicule whoever responds to it.

CSMR

Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:18 pm »
Quote from: viggen
This thread isn't a query about cables at all.  It is a trap to redicule whoever responds to it.

HAHA :lol:  :lol:
You can't spell ridicule!
 :lol:  :lol:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:24 pm »
That's kind of been the MO of A.  I took one query seriously early on and he said it was a joke.  Since then, I just ignore his spam or respond in kind. :P

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:45 pm »
You tell em Nathanm! you da MAN, :rock:  you to Frank! The best advise is usually to, ask questions :?: , shut up : :nono:  , listen :|  then purchase :D , especially to a man like Frank!

tex-amp

Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2005, 11:10 pm »
Yes, I think avahifi doesn't know Adarsh's humor yet and thought this was a real thread.

warnerwh

Audio Cable Quality
« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:02 am »
Frank: the reason you bother is because at least some people will pay attention.  There's alot of new people.  May want to send them to audioholics.com where they have laid it out best they can for the layman so people can learn what affect wire has.  They have some good articles even I could understand.