Affordable amp or integrated that excels space, depth, soundstage

mr_bill

Looking for any suggestions or experience as this is what I’m looking for.

Affordable means used or new under $2500.
To use with Audio Physic Virgo or other.

Freo-1

Devialet Expert 120.     The Audio Physic Virgo is supported  by SAM.   

There's one  on Audiogon for 2500.   

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
I am looking to see if the Musical Paradise 301 or 501 would fit that bill. I am quite confident either amp will.

Rocket Ronny

Oops. I see this is in the solid state forum. These are tube amps.
The most holographic solid state amps I heard are the Pass Labs Aleph 30 and 50. Although I did not like them as I felt instruments were so isolated, which I liked, but were no longer part of the same musical venue.

The Classe DR2 and Electron Kinetics Eagle 7A I owned were about as 3D as I have heard. I found all these solid state amps to be a bit on the dark side of neutral.

avta

I couldn’t argue with Devialet but that would be outside of his budget. I might suggest Nuprime IDA8 or IDA 16.

Stu Pitt

I don’t know the Virgos more than hearing them a few times in a shop. Excellent sounding speakers, but I’m not sure how much power they need.

That being said, I run my AP Yara Evolution bookshelves with a Bryston B60. Excellent synergy. Maybe a used Bryston B60 or B100 if you can get one for the right price? I don’t know if the B60’s 60 watts at 8 ohms/100 at 4 ohms is enough or not for the Virgos. I’ve heard them with McIntosh integrates too. Sound fantastic. Again, maybe used at the right price.

Naim would probably sound great too. I’ve seen used SuperUnitis and SuperNaits within your budget. The PRaT and wall of sound would theoretically work quite well, as APs have a huge soundstage and can really boogie.

Freo-1

I couldn’t argue with Devialet but that would be outside of his budget. I might suggest Nuprime IDA8 or IDA 16.

Read the post. There is one listed for 2500 on Audiogon.   That is within the budget  listed 

avta

You are correct. That would be my first choice if it’s as described.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Why this brand Devialet are so expensive?
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2020, 06:45 am by FullRangeMan »

charmerci

Audio by Van Alstine avahifi.com has an integrated which would be great for the price well under $2500.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167455.0

Freo-1

Why this brand Devialet are so expensive?

Because they are worth it (at least the second hand prices are).  They are configurable, support Wi-Fi, an excellent phono section, a superior built in DAC, Speaker Active Matching (SAM) technology, can be connected in mono for additional power, and a host of other innovations. 

They also sound better than pretty much any other setup available.  The output has a unique circuitry that supplies voltage in Class A, and current via a Class D.  No other amp has this.  They also have a five year transferable warranty. 

So, instead of a bunch of separates, just get a Devialet instead.

avta

I agree with Freo1. I've had a Devialet for the past 5 years. All he said is true.

OzarkTom

Devialet Expert 120.     The Audio Physic Virgo is supported  by SAM.   

There's one  on Audiogon for 2500.   

$2250 on US Audio Mart.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649585264-devialet-120-expert-save-4000/

ALUCARD19

Have you listened to or thought about an Anthem P2 amp, used one's are going for around $2,000.00 to $2,500.00 USD
325 W @ 8ohms, 500W @ 4ohms, 675W @ 2ohms

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

Because they are worth it (at least the second hand prices are).  They are configurable, support Wi-Fi, an excellent phono section, a superior built in DAC, Speaker Active Matching (SAM) technology, can be connected in mono for additional power, and a host of other innovations. 

They also sound better than pretty much any other setup available.  The output has a unique circuitry that supplies voltage in Class A, and current via a Class D.  No other amp has this.  They also have a five year transferable warranty. 

So, instead of a bunch of separates, just get a Devialet instead.
Seems a lifestyle system for wifes.

I.Greyhound Fan

PS Audio M700 monoblocks fits the bill.  My son bought a pair on a 30 day trial at RMAF.  Very  dynamic, transparent with huge sound stage.  Sounded much better than his Parasound A21.  The only issue he had was a ground loop that could not be tracked down so he returned them unfortunately.  They are a real bargain.

Freo-1

Seems a lifestyle system for wifes.

Disagree.  Look,  I still love my tube gear, as it sounds seductive with some music.  Overall,   the Devialet sounds better than any setup I've heard.  One would  have to spend big $$$$ to even get near it.   Until one hears it, it's hard to grasp how good it is. 

Check out the reviews.

avta

Again, I completely agree with Freo.

witchdoctor

Every day I listen to my Klipsch Powergate integrated amp in my desktop system is another great day. It is $199!!!
Just order it and listen before you pay a penny more for anything else. There is a powergate thread here on AC for more info.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Powergate-Amplified-Wireless-Gateway/dp/B01N0A7PH5/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=powergate+klipsch&qid=1582737346&sr=8-2

SFDude

Although it's within budget, Devialet is not really considered "affordable" by the definition of the word that applies to the 99% of folks here (or maybe there are more 1%'ers in AC than I thought!).

However, Devialet has been one of the best sounding amps I've had in a long long time. It replaced a Luxman 550AX integrated (which I still consider a great piece of gear with everything except a DAC). I think the 120s may not have enough juice to drive the Virgos though. (I have a 220 and it's just nice with my SF Olympica IIIs).

RonN5

based on your preferences for space, depth and soundstage, I can vouch for the 2Cherry and I'm pretty sure that the company has a special running right now that will get you the amp below your $2500 target. 

https://www.cherryamp.com/5-channel-amp