Digital Satellite Music (DMX)

Adarsh

« on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:34 am »
Can anyone give me the low down in using this as a source. I've already been using it with my TV but am thinking of an upgrade to HiFi system.

MAIN QUESTIONS:

1) Type of encoding/compression used for audio
2) Quality of output with standard RCA plugs
3) This versus a computer with top-notch MP3[/i] playback.

Thanks

Adarsh

Adarsh

« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2005, 01:33 pm »
Does anyone use this?

-A

Adarsh

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2005, 04:37 pm »
They have about 40 Channels of music.

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:24 pm »
I have a friend who works for DMX.  She's in a non-technical department and I won't be able to get her to provide me with any technical or other info.  But I've listened to DMX at her house many, many times.

She gets about 110 channels.  But I think some of these are reserved for stores who custom program their music, etc.  I know they won't sell those channels to the public.  But I'm surprised to hear they only offer 40 of them.  I know there are many such as Japanese, Hawaiiian, etc. that are probably not being included in this.  One thing that attracts me to DMX is the variety of the programming.  But there are about 8-10 channels that I would consider my "core" listening group, and I would imagine these are all included in their package.  My favorite, if I remember right, is 62, which is "adult contemporary" or "adult coffee house."

I don't know their bit rate and haven't heard DMX on a decent system.  It sounds great in my friend's house with built-in speakers in the walls and ceilings of various rooms, but that's not how audio-loving folks normally listen.

DMX has very, very good programming.  But the songs do play in rotation for about 2 weeks on each channel, until they change them.  I would guess at least 200 songs on each channel in each rotation, but I could be way off.  Sometimes I've heard songs repeating on successive weekends.

My ideal music setup would be whole-house DMX + whole-house hard disk archive of CDs.  I already have my 400 CDs on hard disk and can stream any of them to my Squeezebox by pressing a few remote control buttons.  That gives me my own collection.  DMX would give me an outside collection that I don't have to program, as well as turning me on to new music.  You just turn it on and it's there, no thought required.  It would be especially good for background music.

If you get DMX, please post a detailed report!

Edited to add: I just realized there may be a subset of DMX that's carried by cable or satellite companies.  If this is what you're looking at, and you would not have a separate DMX dish on your roof and your own DMX account, then I can't speak for what's being offered.  The cable or satellite company would be choosing the channels and probably using their own bitrate, as opposed to DMX's.  But it would still be great if you posted a detailed report on your DMX experience if you get them through your cable/satellite company!  :)

Adarsh

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2005, 09:59 am »
Not many people know about DMX on this forum I guess.

I'm listening to DMX via a satellite dish provider. They offer us about 40 channels of music.

Is there anyone who can give us information about Digital Satellite Receivers and their capacity in playing high quality audio, compression etc.

Thanks,

Adarsh

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2005, 04:18 pm »
Is this a different service than Syrius or XM Radio?  Those are the only two I was aware of, and I am turned off by the monthly fees.  $12+/mo is way too much for crappy compressed streaming radio imo.  I'd rather look into internet radio through an audio PC myself.

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2005, 04:52 pm »
Comcast includes some DMX channels with our service but I'll admit I haven't listened to any of them. I just know they're there... pretty sad I guess. :) They also include a bunch of music express (I think) channels and I have listened to a few of those but only for background music. I suppose I should sit down one of these days and give them a chance.

mike

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2005, 05:10 pm »
DMX is the "elite" commercial music provider.  They compete with Muzak (and others, I'm sure) to provide music to stores, restaurants, health clubs, etc.  They are known for their variety of programming and the quality of their programming.  You have heard DMX many hundreds of times in stores and other commercial establishments.

They are not geared towards the consumer market like XM or Serius, but apparently sell some of their channels to cable providers.

Adarsh

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2005, 06:04 pm »
If someone could get tech info on this it would be superb. I tried lots of irrelevant sites.

-A

Carlman

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2005, 08:41 pm »
Yeah, someone should really help Adarsh... he asked a day and a half ago... why can't someone do this research for him?  I mean, come on... don't make him wait 48 hours.... that's insane.  Where's your customer service, AC?

Get real.

-C

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2005, 11:32 pm »
^ I come here for the audio...but I stay for the laughs.   :D   :P

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:27 am »
Quote from: Adarsh
Not many people know about DMX on this forum I guess.
Got the lowdown on DMX right here.... 8)

Adarsh

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2005, 09:10 am »
Last night I found the instruction manual for the Digital Satellite Decoder (DSD) and was able to get the specifications.

:SPECS:

DSD VIDEO: MPEG-2
DSD AUDIO: MPEG-1, MPEG-2 LAYER II, MUSICAM
CHANNELSL Single, Joint Stereo, Stereo
Sampling Frequencies: 32.0 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48.0 kHz

:AUDIO SIGNALS:
Output: 1v r.m.s into 10 kOhms
Frequency Range 20 Hz to 20 kHz at 44.1 kHz sampling rate
Dynamic Range: 80dB
Distortion +- 0.2% @ 1 kHz
Noise: -80dB(mu)
L-R Level Difference: 0.5dB
Crosstalk: -60dB

Can somone tell me what 'crosstalk' is. How is the quality of the sound output?

Thanks,

Adarsh

Adarsh

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2005, 11:43 am »
Take your time.

-A

PSP

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2005, 03:09 pm »
Hi,
Not a technical definition, but crosstalk usually refers to a second signal superimposed on the signal you intend to listen to.  

For example, in a preamp, if you have signal wires from multiple source components placed too close together, you can get capacitive coupling between the signal wires, e.g., between the CDP signal and the tuner signal... thus, if you were listening to the CDP but had the tuner powered up, you might hear radio stations in the background.  You can also have crosstalk between channels within the source component, preamp, amplifier, and even between unshielded interconnects if they are physically close.  

The trouble with specifications is that we have all heard lousy sound coming from equipment with great specs.

Adarsh, maybe the reason no one has answered your main question is that no one here knows.

Good luck,
Peter

toobwacky

« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2005, 07:00 am »
I just subscribed to the music channels that Dish Network offers.  Out of all the music channels offered, I listen to about 5 of them and I'm really impressed with the quality and variety of the content.  Actually, I'd drop the TV channels in a heart-beat if they'd let me subscribe to only the music channels.  This got me to wondering if an XM or Sirius subscription would be better for me.  

I'm into the nu-jazz, contemporary instrumental, euro-sounds, new-age, classical ambience and light classical channels on Dish Network.  How's the content quality of these genres with either of the two satellite radio providers?  Anyone?