Amp for use with bedroom TV. Will any 2ch do?

flavo

Amp for use with bedroom TV. Will any 2ch do?
« on: 29 Jan 2020, 02:22 am »
I feel like I should I know this but I don't.
I'm looking to add easy to drive bookshelf speakers (and a powered sub) to my bedroom TV. Will any 2 channel amp work?
I'm assuming any modern TV will have the needed hook ups for the amp?
Of course 2.1 would be nice, but not needed.
I saw someone posted a similar thread about bedroom systems a few days ago. Are we asking the same thing?

Thank you :-)

JackD

Re: Amp for use with bedroom TV. Will any 2ch do?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2020, 03:31 am »
What will work will depend on what audio outputs your TV has. If it's the pretty much standard optical or maybe HDMI then you will need something with those inputs most likely an inexpensive receiver or a DAC and integrated separately or as a combo.  W4S, Peachtree and others make the combo units.

Mudjock

• Sehlin Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2020, 03:41 am »
The SMSL Q5Pro has an optical input and is a pretty decent little amp.  I used it in a DIY soundbar project and have been quite happy with it.

A_shah

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2020, 10:20 am »
I use audioengineusa HD6 ( powered )with my LG 50 " TV in the Bedroom you can hook up a sub to it I don't find the need for it it has very good Bass for a midsize bedroom plus two seperate class AB amps for each speaker for mid & low Frequency and for the tweeter good quality Class D amp.

https://www.audioadvice.com/audioengine-hd6-powered-speakers+color-Walnut

Asghar

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2020, 11:25 am »
Have you people lost you minds?  I'm kidding of course, but AE HD6, Peachtree, and Wired for Sound are not cheap and cheerful components.   

JackD is correct that most modern TVs no longer have audio outs so you need a DAC with, usually, an optical input.  Check your TV to see.  There are oodles of amp/DAC ChiFi combos on Amazon for $100 or so, SMLS, Nobsound, Sabaj, etc.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2020, 12:13 pm »
For $200ish, when on sale, you can get your favorite big brand AVR that comes with digital input and subwoofer out.

Head over to accessories4less to see a smattering of them.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2020, 04:48 pm »
  For my bedroom TV an old Receiver connected to the cable box. Cheap and cheerful.

charles

8T_BoCO

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2020, 06:18 pm »
The active Audioengine A2, connected via male-to-male 1/8" stereo plug is what we use to amplify bedroom TV sound. Very pleased with the sound.

Not sure it is sold new anymore ($200), as I only see the A2+ listed.  Maybe try hifishark.com for used listings.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2020, 07:50 pm »
The active Audioengine A2, connected via male-to-male 1/8" stereo plug is what we use to amplify bedroom TV sound. Very pleased with the sound.

Not sure it is sold new anymore ($200), as I only see the A2+ listed.  Maybe try hifishark.com for used listings.

Good suggestion. Vanatoo as well.

charles

flavo

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2020, 11:30 pm »
Thank you everyone for the excellent ideas. I had not considered powered speakers. I think I might go for the AE 5+ (used) or the Klipsch PowerGate with some speakers already in the basement.
My current bedroom TV is 10 years old and has all of the connections you'd expect a high end TV to have today. I'm sure I'll be replacing it soon though, and won't be expecting the luxury of all those outputs on the new one.
 :D

viggen

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2020, 06:03 pm »
I use Nuforce's DDA100 with a pair of Linn Kan.  I also have a HTPC.  So, the HTPC is connected to the Nuforce via USB.  Of course, I could have just used the TV's optical out into Nuforce's optical input.

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2020, 11:16 pm »
$99 Schiit Modi DAC and thrift shop Sony receiver for $20-40 will give you excellent sound to whatever speakers you choose.