new to audio circle just bi amped my speakers for testing

Kingbleu

hello friends I have recently bi amped my speakers for testing purposes. I have mixed feelings on the results.  It seems that there are benefits from either way.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: new to audio circle just bi amped my speakers for testing
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2020, 02:08 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2020, 02:30 pm »
Welcome!

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2020, 02:34 pm »
hello friends I have recently bi amped my speakers for testing purposes. I have mixed feelings on the results.  It seems that there are benefits from either way.

Welcome to the AC!

If I understand your post correctly; you have bypassed your speakers' internal passive crossover and are now using an active crossover upstream of the (2) power amps? 

If so; with the bass inductor bypassed and the phasing errors imposed by the passive crossover components now gone; the bass should tighten up considerably and mids & highs should be much cleaner.  But this assumes that the drivers's respective efficiencies were equally matched to start with, which often isn't the case. 

Since speakers seldom have perfectly matched drivers, passive crossovers often include one or more shelving filters and/or notch filters to match up the driver outputs and dampen any resonances or response peaks.     

The advantages or bi-amping are fully realized when the drivers are in balance.  And balance is easily achieved using a line level EQ (DSP or really good analog EQ) upstream of the power amps, coupled with a good ear for tuning or a means to measure the frequency response (Room EQ Wizard, for example). 

Once you hear a properly tuned bi-amp'd system; you would not want to return to passive crossovers. 
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2020, 06:20 pm by Jazzman53 »

ntjetsmoke

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2020, 03:15 pm »
Welcome :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2020, 06:06 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Kingbleu   :thumb:

Wind Chaser