Netflix computer app + Dolby Atmos + 1080p TV = YES!

WGH

Unless you have the right components, getting Dolby Atmos to stream on Netflix is almost like a mythical animal, much talked about but rarely seen. I recently got a Netflix Premium subscription, the picture quality and 5.1 sound improved but Atmos had been elusive.

The most common answer is you need a 2160p TV but I have one of the last 60" Panasonic plasma 1080p TV's made and the picture quality is excellent and film like.
Next answer is you need a streaming device like the Apple TV 4K, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Nvidia Shield, Chromecast Ultra, or Xbox One. But I use a PC and don't need another box in my life.

My office PC also doubles as a home theater PC, it's fast, silent because it's in another room, and rock solid. I use the Netflix app that is available along with the Windows dual screen function to slide the screen to the TV. The Netflix app does not function the same as VLC Media Player or other video players. VLC and other players have home theater pass through, the raw audio goes directly to the surround processor via HDMI, bypassing the Windows sound mixer. The Netflix app uses the Windows 10 sound mixer.

Things you may or may not need:
  • Fast computer, Intel i7 preferred
  • Windows 10 v1909
  • Graphics card or Sound card with HDMI output
  • Surround sound processor, I use an Anthem AVM 60
  • Dolby Atmos speakers
  • TV
  • Netflix account, the Premium subscription allows for 4 simultaneous users so sharing is allowed

Step 1: Turn on surround sound processor and TV, if configured correctly you should see a windows desktop (ideally without icons) and the sound default is now HDMI
Step 2: Right click on the Windows speaker icon (bottom lower right) and choose Speaker Setup --> Dolby Atmos for home theater
Step 3: Start Netflix app
Step 4: Enjoy

The HDMI cable from the HTPC has to go directly to the Dolby Atmos enabled surround processor first, a second HDMI cable is from the processor to the TV. I don't think Dolby Atmos can be transmitted through either the TV ARC output or audio fiber optic cable, not enough bandwidth.

Since my surround sound processor is not always on, the audio output resets to the Realtek driver and basic Windows sound. I have to manually change to Dolby Atmos output every time. Windows Dolby Atmos drivers may need to be installed the first time this function is used, they are free. You do not need the $14.99 Dolby Atmos for headphones app.

If the Dolby Atmos setting doesn't stick then Windows is not yet communication with the surround processor. (1) Turn everything off, (2) turn on processor and TV, (3) reboot computer so Windows has a fresh start and try again. I don't know if earlier Windows versions work, version 1909 is the latest and so far very stable and fast, boot times and speed is not effected. 1909 is a manual update, Windows no longer does automatic version updates, go to Settings --> Update and Security. 1909 is big and does a lot of housekeeping during the install, allow 12 hours or overnight. During the install Windows may look like is frozen, stalls at 37%, hangs at a restart screen or other such nonsense, don't freak out, let it do it's thing which is why overnight is best, that way you are not hovering, worrying and checking the progress.

« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2020, 04:54 pm by WGH »

witchdoctor

Re: Netflix computer app + Dolby Atmos + 1080p TV = YES!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2020, 01:13 am »
Great post WGH, thanks for the screen shots. I have NP getting nice Dolby Vision/Atmos content with my 4K display but my 1080P projector in the media room won't fly. Glad you found a work around.

What do you like best about Atmos so far?

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2020, 07:31 pm »

What do you like best about Atmos so far?

I like everything Atmos does, the soundtrack can fill the room, plane and helicopter flyovers are amazing, dialog in the rear speakers surprise me, sometimes I think someone is behind me. Scary movies must be especially creepy these days.

But setting up a home theater is expensive, even before adding in Atmos. I just looked at the $300 - $2000 5.1 speaker systems Crutchfield selling and I wouldn't recommend any of them to my friends. My brother's soundbar is actually OK but a friend has cheaper one and I can miss 1/4 of the dialog, in that case I go with the flow and eventually figure out what is going on.

I would recommend that new home theater enthusiasts put all their money into an excellent 3.1 system instead of a do-it-all 7.1.4 setup. Most of the money should be spent on the center speaker and sub, that is where everything happens. The stereo speakers are rolled off at 80 Hz so they don't even have to be full range, the sub handles all the bass below 80 Hz. With a real good 3.1 setup cranked up to home theater levels the side, rear and Atmos speakers will not even be missed and the overall sound will be clearer and more dynamic.

Over the years, I have heard 4 different center speakers and the Salk Sound Speakers are hands down the best. I have the HT2C and the Seas - RAAL combination is hard to beat with unmatched clarity. The Salk's don't have the male chestyness of some ported designs and the sound remains clear no matter how loud, I have yet to reach their limit. A Salk center and a good sub would be the foundation of an excellent home theater, the rest of the parts can be replaced over the years but starting out you need a good foundation or it all falls apart.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2020, 08:26 pm »
I don't disagree about expense but I found a bargain with Onkyo receivers. A 9 channel immersice RZ630 was less than $400 and has all the feature I needed, and then some. 4K TV's have some way down and if you check the Harman Audio online store they often have specials for speakers at insane discounts FWIW.

Right now JBL Studio 2 line at 50% off!

https://www.harmanaudio.com/sale/#prefn1=isLuxuryProduct&prefn2=isRefurbished&prefv3=false&prefv4=Home%20Audio&prefv1=no&prefv2=false&prefn3=isSupport&prefn4=name

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2020, 09:08 am »
I went through this last year...the current model of AppleTV will stream Netflix Atmos (and iTunes movie rentals in Atmos) to a 1080p display, also.