Best way to save money on audio is to find a new interest... I did.

Mike-48

Think about it... To exist, the audio industry needs you to become dissatisfied with your system... regularly. (Or grow its audience, which it isn't doing).

While $40K sounds like a lot (and is, IMHO), at the last show I tallied the list prices for, the average system cost (excluding the now-obligatory boutique cabling) was >$58K. I don't know what that is, but I'm not sure it's a 'hobby'.
Yes, absolutely. One could argue that much of audio has the same kind of planned obsolescence that the auto industry promoted in the 1950s, say. Constant new models with must-have features. But some of those features (DSD 256?) turn out to be tail fins.

I'm not sure of the automotive parallel to boutique cabling . . . maybe extra chrome trim or those vinyl roof coverings that were popular in the 1970 and 1980s.

There are real improvements in both areas (autos and audio), of course, though advertising does not often distinguish those from the fluff.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2020, 06:47 am by Mike-48 »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Back in the day, when large numbers of people were building kits (Dynaco and Heath), there was less woo and more sense in high end audio. 

IMO we really should get back to building kits again if we want a return of sanity.  That's the only real way that consumers won't be vulnerable to the "Magic Black Box" syndrome, where the box does something wonderful and mysterious that's somehow worth $10k. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
JLM seems right:
1.)  Study audio fundamentals (knowledge will steer one away from constant flipping and chasing unproven claims).

Study how SS and tubes amps works will show you its cost value when one see a innard photo.

On speakers dont even need study the subject just see Eminence price list to see how much cost a hi quality, 100dB tube friendly superb Neo woofer $220 each:
https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Kappalite_3015
There is no reason to a hi-end big enclosure speaker cost more than $5K pair.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Confucius say:

"To achieve balance in life, one must cycle obsessions"

Audio today, CNC tomorrow and so on...

:icon_twisted:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Confucius was smart cookie.

I haven't done much with new audio gear in quite a few years.
It's not that I wouldn't like to, it's just that any upgrades would cost quite a bit and other interests have taken precedence.
Right now it's men's dress hats (of all things) and then it'll warm up and be back to motorcycles.

If I move into a new place a pair of 20.7s will find their way in front of me but they simply won't work for this house.
I've been eyeing the Maggies For Condos write ups but they're talking even more expensive than the 20.7s so they won't work for my budget. 

In the meantime, I shall be content with what I have until the bug bites and I spring for a pair of subs for the 3.7s...

smargo

Confucius say:

"To achieve balance in life, one must cycle obsessions"

Audio today, CNC tomorrow and so on...

:icon_twisted:

f--- confucious - if it was up to him - we wouldnt do anything in this life - audio obsession is a positive

twitch54

The best way to stop spending money on audio is to take a sabbatical from AC. Stay away, Liz.

How true !! not just AC but audio forums in general have driven so many folks(myself included) to, IMO, put a far greater focus on their 'jewelry' than the actual music.

The addiction isn't in the audio purchases, it's in the false belief that someone else's gear sounds better than what you already have. The AC is much like facebook where people post about how super exciting their lives are, but it's actually just as mediocre as everyone else's.

again, true !

SET Man

The whole audio thing is a psychosis-- one example being a $40k system posted in the Cheap & Cheerful circle! (lol)

Hey!

Yeah, that's a ton of Cheap & Cheerful audio stuffs! :lol:

Buddy

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Ways to save money on audio:

1.)  Study audio fundamentals etc.... you can read it all above

Excellent advise, well thought out.  I would amend 3) with "expensive".  Free or nearly free tweeks are fun, some actually work.  And there are a multitude of cable manufacturers selling direct for very reasonable prices.  If you don't hear a difference you have some well made cables for not a lot of cash.  I agree with you once you get to expensive.  I suppose if one is a multi-millionaire and has an TOTL system expensive cables might make sense, we have a few of those folks here on AC.  For the rest of us not so much.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
My ony comment is to mention I could not find a place to put my post at all. I settled on Cheap and cheerful as the 'least problematic'
Anyone who can think of a better location? move it. (Galactic waste bin is good too  :thumb:)
The idea was it is cheap(er) to do something else instead of endlesll ponder what to do on the stereo...

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
The Wall Street Journal today reports that the entry level to a comfortable retirement lifestyle starts at $3M investible assets to generate a 6 figure sustainable investment income.

I suppose if one is a multi-millionaire and has an TOTL system expensive cables might make sense, we have a few of those folks here on AC.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
I think we're fine with the topic here, it's about NOT spending a zillion bucks on audio, which is close enough to the point of this circle.

Tone Depth, exactly what I was saying.  If you have millions of dollars in investments and draw six figures in yearly income from that, you're a tiny, tiny percentage of America.  That demographic is often attracted to expensive hobbies. 

dB Cooper

The addiction isn't in the audio purchases, it's in the false belief that someone else's gear sounds better than what you already have

A corollary is the disparaging term 'mid-fi', which often seems to apply to equipment less expensive than one's own. One of the reasons I am still interested in audio in middle age is that, when I was a teenager, there were good but affordable systems available. I had a Dynaco system, bought with money I earned, when I was 15. When I was college age, all my friends had systems. I know a lot of people in that age bracket, and none of them have systems. The young person who's not buying the affordable equipment of today (it's not easy to find, but it's out there) is the person who won't be buying the higher-end stuff when they are further along in life. I'm straying from the original theme here, but my point re the original post is that the way to spend less on audio is to let go of the fantasy that some tube, or amp, or cable, or speaker etc can make the heavens part and provide audio reality, only problem being that that moment is forever one 'upgrade' away.

Wind Chaser

f--- confucious - if it was up to him - we wouldnt do anything in this life - audio obsession is a positive

Well said!  :D

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
IMO, the main issue is the thrill of new purchases, waiting on the box to show up, the act of unboxing the new product, etc... If you don't believe me look up how popular "unboxing videos" are and google shopping addiction.

I think the goal should be very simple... moderation, a middle road where you're not spending to satisfy a thrill yet not abstaining from exploring your passions because of a feeling of not having enough or being stingy. People are stingy with themselves very often and being guilty about allowing yourself good food, clothing, etc if you can afford them is the opposite end of spending impulsively for no good reason, to satisfy a thrill, or to the extent you can't afford to pay the bills. 

So this is a behavioral issue and will simply be transferred to whatever new thing or hobby that catches your attention. All hobbies and interests can be expensive, audio is super-cheap compared to racing anything with a motor, or anything that floats! Even if you wanna run, those shoes, sunglasses, heart-rate monitors, etc. are going to add up!

If I never allowed myself to spend money on audio over the years I certainly wouldn't have an audio business... Think of a young child that is expected to follow their passions so they can decide what they want to do with their life... parents will always spend time and money on their children's passions and it's considered not only reasonable, but letting the child down if you don't. At what point does that change? At what point is this unacceptable and you should just work and save for retirement? IMO you need to give yourself the opportunity to do what you want, and this WILL involve spending money. If you're passionate about audio why not explore it as you see fit, like anything it can be approached in either healthy or unhealthy ways. There's lots of opportunity to engage with high quality audio at ANY budget these days. This isn't the case with some things like racing cars or boats... if you want to do that you need to figure out how to make A LOT of money first. Don't let the existence of more expensive things detract from your enjoyment of what you have, there's ALWAYS more expensive stuff and at a certain point it becomes too much... your enjoyment of audio is not necessarily directly related to how much you spend on it!

genjamon

So you want to solve your audio dilemma? Find something else to do with your spare 'thinking'.

Yes!  To an extent.  I had a kid and went to law school at the same time.  That pretty much took care of it, except... I STILL check AC multiple times a day!!!

Early B.

The young person who's not buying the affordable equipment of today (it's not easy to find, but it's out there) is the person who won't be buying the higher-end stuff when they are further along in life.

Audiophiles are typically older. I'll bet if we took a poll on age and income, most AC members would be 40-plus and earn slightly more than median wages. It would also be interesting to see how many of us have other expensive hobbies and the amount we spend on them. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Audiophiles are typically older.
+1 To be audiophile requires equipment knowledge and a vast musical repertoire to justify the price.

dB Cooper

Yes, they/we are. But it doesn't have to be so. There are young people interested in audio. I know them, and I have gotten them to come to shows... usually once, because they see the prices and never come back- to the shows, and, in many cases, to audio itself. The shows aren't interested in attracting them and there is no retail infrastructure to be exposed to audio anymore (I don't consider speakers sitting on a shelf at Best Buy as a serious attempt to attract younger consumers. Like I said, almost everyone I knew in my teens and twenties had a system... not 'high end', but respectable. When the entry level fell out of the market, the younger demographic dropped out with it. The idea of spending $40K on audio equipment is mystifying to them. So even when they reach a point in life where they have that kind of scratch, they spend it elsewhere.

genjamon

I live next to a park with a major overlook, and on weekends there is an endless stream of cars booming their way up the mountain to the overlook parking area. This is not a wealthy town. And these booming vehicles are not owned by 40+ geezers. These “audio” investments by youth on their cars are not validated by the AC crowd, but they are most certainly “systems”, and they are prolific.  Conspicuous consumption, even on audio, knows no age threshold.  It’s all about culture and what is celebrated and what people find they take pride in.