Hi...I'm Wayne from a small town east of Nashville, TN

wfbarto

I have been an audiophile since my college days (a long time ago!) and now that I am retired, I am really starting to get back into my equipment and music collection.

My equipment includes the following vintage components purchased in 1972:

Harman Kardon 930 Receiver
Dual 1229 Turntable
Marantz Imperial 7 Speakers

In addition, I have a pair of Bose 901 speakers from 1978 that need to have the foam surrounds replaced.

I also have a pair of Dayton mini-towers with the AMT tweeters that I was able to pick up on an open-box sale.

I am basically here for the knowledge base and to read about other peoples recommendations. I also would like to gain info about servicing and/or improving the performance of my vintage equipment.

Future purchases for upgrading or supplementing my system may also be on the horizon!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hi...I'm Wayne from a small town east of Nashville, TN
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2020, 10:48 pm »
Welcome Wayne :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2020, 11:42 pm »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2020, 03:54 am »
Hi Wayne,

Welcome to Audio Circle!  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2020, 04:17 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Wayne   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2020, 12:11 pm »
Welcome!

I love audiophiles that come in out of the cold.  Lots has changed in 38 years (I've been around all that time and stepped out in the 90's). 

Since '72 digital audio has come about, first as CD's via CDP (CD players), then separate DAC's (digital analog converters), then the onslaught of various high-resolution formats, and now streaming over the internet at CD (also known as Redbook) quality.  Now-a-days CDP's are getting quite rare as are Redbook only DAC's, yet nearly all music is still recorded at Redbook resolution, so there's a sound quality gap between gear and available recordings.  OTOH (on the other hand) Redbook has never sounded better thanks to technical improvements.  Nearly all streaming is via subscription services such as Tidal, Qobuz, or Amazon HD that each have tens of millions of albums available.  Almost everyone uses a computer to stream but alternatives exist.

Vinyl isn't dead, but albums have gotten expensive, and new material on vinyl is rare.  Cleaning of records has become a high priority with folks using for instance ultrasonic cleaners.  Playback gear can run over $500,000 but most is very much more reasonable.  Few preamps exist that include a phono stage, so dedicated phono preamps are the norm.  Other media (Tape - open reel or cassette, minidisks, ) are all but extinct.  Now-a-days convenience is king, so digital rules. 

The price of admission to modern really good sounding gear has never been cheaper/easier thanks to the digital revolution.  Check out the Cheap and Cheerful Circle here at AC (Audio Circle). 

Various wires (interconnects, speaker cables, and various digital cables) have gained lots of attention, but that sector in particular is full of expensive snake oil and little hard science. 

Much interest has developed in how speakers interact with the room, so there's much more interest in room treatments and even DSP (digital signal processing) to make "room corrections".  Speakers have changed mostly in terms of voicing: leaner/tighter bass and more prominent treble.  Cone materials/design improvements have inched along, new technologies have come out for tweeters (ribbons, electrostatics).  The general types of speakers (monitors - still the most popular, dipoles - open baffle being popular around here, vertical arrays, and omni-directional) haven't changed.  But popularity in self-powered subwoofers has increased. 

Headphones haven't changed a whole lot, but dedicated headphone amplifiers now exist.  Ear buds (IEM - in ear monitors) have gotten surprisingly good. 

Take care and be sure to keep posting.