OMG. Just heard my first pair of Magnepan speakers.

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: OMG. Just heard my first pair of Magnepan speakers.
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2020, 07:38 pm »
What were you using before you acquired these?

Several pairs of speakers see duty in this set up. Best of the lot is a pair of Verity Audio Tamino speakers which I fell in love with. Although they're standmounts, Revel M22s also get a lot of listening time here.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #21 on: 2 Feb 2020, 10:37 am »
I'm interested to hear you impressions of the VAC monoblocks with the 3.6s.

JakeJ

« Reply #22 on: 2 Feb 2020, 02:40 pm »
I'll probably have to burn some vacation but I want to do a comaprison of these amps but in a time frame that my aural memory has validity and post about it.  I have not tried the VAC's with the PMC EB1i's either so that's on the plate as well.

I'll post a new thread in the Planar circle when I get that chance, not sure when that will be.  Steve, you have my permission to give me a nudge in, say, late March?  If I am going to burn a week of vaca I want the weather to be a bit nicer.

I just swapped them to orient the tweeter on the inside, with them on the outside I was not getting good center fill.  I'm sure this is or was an issue for others.  I'd like to suggest a sticky thread on Magneplanar speaker placement and the experiments our members have tried.  It could have input from all our OB brethren because let's face it, Maggies are just another open baffle design using a unique driver technology. 8) :thumb:

Before I can listen today I need to test the tubes in my Audio Experience A2 Gold preamp and use a pair of measuring tapes to tweak the Maggies into position.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #23 on: 2 Feb 2020, 02:52 pm »
Surely you have some sick time available?
Can't be too careful with that coronoavirus making the rounds, you know.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #24 on: 2 Feb 2020, 06:15 pm »
Just to mention IMO the AC power supply side of the equation matters..Some of the amplifier $$$ need is related to the cleaning up of the AC. The more the AC is cleaned up the better the sound will be from your Maggies... Whatever amp you use.
 :popcorn:

JakeJ

« Reply #25 on: 3 Feb 2020, 02:14 pm »
IMO that's just common sense but I've been at this a while and have learnt a thing or two.

The only real compaint I have about my local power distribution company (Bonneville Power Administration) is they let the voltage run too high.  Yeah, that is a legit complaint in some areas although they are few and far apart.  My mains voltage typically runs 120-124 VAC when it should be 115-117 VAC.  It is hard on transformers and stresses power supplies possibly causing issues and premature failure.  I should get a power conditioner that regulates voltage as what I have now just filters EMI and RF which I really don't have a problem with in my rural area.

minnesotafats

« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2020, 11:48 pm »
Just to mention IMO the AC power supply side of the equation matters..Some of the amplifier $$$ need is related to the cleaning up of the AC. The more the AC is cleaned up the better the sound will be from your Maggies... Whatever amp you use.
 :popcorn:
Agreed.   I have a PS Audio P15 PowerPlant regenerator that feeds my BHK 300 Monos to the Maggie 20.7s.   Clean regenerated power does wonders for the resolution of the Maggies.