New Stuff Coming!! Experiences and Reviews!!

adydula

• Facilitator
New Stuff Coming!! Experiences and Reviews!!
« on: 7 Jan 2020, 09:15 pm »
I have some stuff coming in on loan in the near future that I will have for approx 2 weeks that will allow me to review some
new headphones and do some comparisons!!

Stay tuned!

Alex

Wind Chaser

Re: New Stuff Coming!! Experiences and Reviews!!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2020, 11:40 pm »
What headphones? :D

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2020, 12:46 am »
I don't want to say right now until I actually get them, it will be one at a time for several months I am hoping....looking at some mid to high end planars for the first round.

Alex

mresseguie

• Volunteer
  • D Sachs amp/pre + Daedalus Audio Speakers = HEAVEN
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2020, 01:02 am »
Awesome! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2020, 01:31 am »
If I understand what you are saying, you’ll be reviewing many different headphones on over the next few months? If so, that’s very cool!  :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2020, 02:11 am »
 :thumb:

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2020, 10:46 pm »
Ok update:

I have a new set of headphones hopefully arriving for a two week review and will let you folks know what they are!!

They are planars for sure....was told they should be here this Friday!

Stay tuned!

Alex

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2020, 09:35 pm »
Should be here tomorrow!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2020, 12:39 am »
Hifiman Arya?  :D

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2020, 02:27 am »
Nope the Ananda's...

I have not heard any of HIFi mans stuff...so this will be a treat for me.

I am hoping to be able to get some of the even more high end stuff as time goes on.

But for now this will be the start of some reviews for several different brands of headphones..

Stay tuned!

Alex

brooklyn

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2020, 06:23 pm »
Hey Alex,

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions with the Ananda's.
I've owned mine since last August and use them nearly every day as my main headphone..
My one beef with Hifiman is their pricing which is all over the place. There HE-400i's which
I no longer own went for $500 at one time and now their practically giving them away..
Their business model leaves a lot to be desired.. I've emailed them recently and told them
as much..

Jerry

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2020, 12:31 am »
Yup, its funny they sell these for $799 and on the A they are $699....

I just got them and am listening with them now....

Finding the fit a little odd for me, on the smallest or most re-tracted setting they still seem abit loose on my big head or might I say they
hang down a little too far around my ears?

That said they are very comfortable....listening results for me in a few days...

Alex

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2020, 11:23 pm »
New stuff coming our way!! Hopefully by the end of the week I will have a $2000 Parafeed Tube Amp with some really one of a kind Lundahl output transformers!!

This is the fairly new T4 by ECP amp built by Tom Beezar.....it looks absolutely great!!

I will review and post my findings !

Alex

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2020, 12:11 am »
Golly Gee,

I have more folks wanting to send me stuff to experience!! Things getting hectic here!! LOL.

I hope to have the T4 experience wrapped up later this week....then

in the near future the new HP1-A should show up.

Also a Schitt Jotenheim! To compare the balanced setup with the Bifrost 2 against the THX AAA' amps...

Stay tuned!
Alex

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2020, 08:36 pm »
Hello!

I have had a loaner Jotenheim amp from Schitt Audio in house for a week now and will post some results up in the next few days....its matched perfectly with my Schitt Bifrost 2
I bought a few weeks back...wonderful pairing in total balanced connections...

I also have the Schiit Magni 3 + and Schiit Hersey new $99 amps coming in for a loan in the next two weeks I hope.

Also a set of Beyerdynamics DT 1990 Pro's...

I had a set of T1R2's and T90s for years and always wanted to hear the 1990's to see how they fit in Beyers scheme of things...

Later
Alex

Freo-1

« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2020, 10:23 pm »
Alex,  that should keep you busy for awhile.  Always fun to evaluate new gear. 

One thing that I've come to realize is that headphones need to be evaluated with an amplifier that can drive the phones to their full potential.
Many Stax phones don't sound as good with Stax amps as they do with aftermarket units such as a KGSSHV.   Makes  me wonder if some headphones can actually sound better than a higher priced model of the same line if the lower priced phone is mated to a higher end amp that has better performance.

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2020, 01:19 am »
The amplifier is important for sure.

Its only when the amplifier can not provide the energy to excite the transducers to their designed potential or limits...and this is directly related to the impedance across the musical spectrum and the headphones sensitivity.

Most decent amps can drive most headphones fairly well....but there are a few noteable cans that really do need a lot of power it the HIFIMAN HE6's.

Most good amps, and there are a lot of them...will do just fine and if you really do an unbaised blind AB test its really hard to tell at the amp level...and I have been doing this for years...

The real differences come with the headphone and source material...then the dac....IMO.

But we all have opinions, and I have 12 amps!! LOL.....with this logic I have wasted tons of dollars over time to come to this conclusion!!....

But its been fun and still is....

I m thinking of new headphones and possibly a new amp.....yup here I go again!!

Alex

Freo-1

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2020, 02:21 am »
12 Amps?   That's dedication!   Would be interested in your assessment of your amps. 

Whilst I largely concur with your comments,   I have found that a better quality amp can make a headphone sound clearer, more detailed, etc.  I've had a few different headphone amps,  and while most of them sounded similar, a small amount of amps (such as the Dynalo), do sound noticeably better.   Noise floor,  tonal balance, clarity are all noticeably improved  over the majority of amps I've come across.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2020, 03:22 am »
I m thinking of new headphones and possibly a new amp.....yup here I go again!!

Alex,

Which new headphones are you thinking of?

And any chance you are going to sell your Focal Clear?

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2020, 01:30 pm »
Hey Guys!

Nope not a chance in getting rid of the Focal Clears....they are the best I have ever heard for "me".....

That said, part of this hobby is comparing stuff over and under the performance and cost of these "reference" cans for me....keeps things interesting.

One of the reasons I sold my AudezeLCD2R2's was the cost to me at that time was $1K new, and these were fairly new back then in their origins...none of the 3's or 4'4 were
out there...and after buying several others "I" foound that there were as good as if not better presentation with headphones at a lower cost....but again this is for me and my likings....

So I went thru AKG's, Grados, Audio Technicas, HIFIMan,Beyerdynamics, and others.....the Clears to me are the one set of dynamic speakers that just has the overall tonality almost perfect with
NO eq'ing necessary...unless your trying to fix a recording that was poorly mastered and recorded and even then there are limits...

What I am looking at is back to those HD800s.....yes they have been around for a few years and they are not the "shiny" toy anymore....and the new stuff takes attention center stage...but for the price
and they are not cheap at $1599 retail ...I have a second love in headphones and its a pair of HD600's that to me are one of the finest examples of the Senn "house" sound....they feel cheap, plastic, a bit tight on my head, but the sound with a lesser soundstage is also just soooo nice IMO....so before I buy I will audition these. So stay tuned.

Freo-1

I actually had 15 amps here a few months back...the reason is I like amps and the circuits and how electcial engineers design them to do their task. Being an EE myself I have built several of my own amps years back and its fun for me to get out the soldering iron and the first turn on is always "exciting" will it work or will it flame out!! LOL.

Understand the "noticeably" better comment....and depending on the amps design, cirect coupled, AC coupled, Values here, Components and Johnson noise, power supply regulation, channel isolation, haamonic distortion etc there will be some differences, but in my findings its less subtle than one things....

One thing with DIY for me was to prove to me that I could build an amp for way less cost and have it perform as well as one costing much, much more and  have done this several times, this is on the objective side. The DIY amps work as well as their 2,3 4 x cost counterparts but dont ususally look "nice" and retail, no 1/4 billet aluminum cases and big hunky knobs, slick engraving etc....just more simple boxes without all the lights, bells and whistles that often add to cost etc....

I have an $400 amp that compares against a similar design that costs $3,000. One is small and ugly looking to me, with lesser mechanical switches, lights etc, the other is a work of Art, built like a tank and will last forever, but they sound the "same".....go figure.

Even with all these amps kind of sounding the same or really close, I do have my favorites, mostly from the design level...and yes even I think some of these amps "work" = "sounds" better with some headphones and make better pairings...

I do have amps that are inverting, ion-nverting, bipolar, non-bi-polar, discrete, not discrete, hybrid, integrated, op amp heavy etc...and oh 3 tube amps with LOTS of distortion!!

I cant wait to test the $99 Schiitt Magni 3+ and the Heresey.....amps that have specs that close in on those $3000 amps!! We shall see....

Great Day here in Raleigh!!

All the best
Alex
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2020, 02:57 pm by adydula »