Merry Christmas it is !

sockpit

Re: Merry Christmas it is !
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2020, 04:28 pm »

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:31 pm »
My M5s arrived as scheduled today.  Too early to report on sound. Will do that in a due time.

I can say that that they are really beautiful and well built—and heavy.

One question for Clayton that may interest others: given the speaker’s 92 dbl sensitivity, I had assumed I would need to turn the volume on my (100 watt) amp way down in comparison to how I played my old 88 dbl Scansonics.  With the latter, I typically listened at 75-80/100.  With the M5s, I’m averaging 70-75/100 for the same perceived volume level.

Why such a small difference?  This surprised me given what I’ve read about the LTA amp’s ability to play the M series loud without breaking a 12-watt sweat. Don’t tell me the LTA is just that great an amp! (Although I have been coveting it ;). My current amp, an Exogal Ion, is no slouch, which is why I’m surprised 75 on the dial isn’t deafening loud.  I obviously don’t understand electronics.

I do not know the answer regarding LTA Z10 but if you do some reading (6moons review I think) you will find that it has strong gain.  More wattage does not necessarily mean more gain.  Also in general tube amps deliver power equivalent to solid states with signficanly higher power ratings.

Regarding volume levels I have found over time with my M3S I have been backing off the volume.  Not because of fatigue but because of the lack of fatigue or perhaps other reasons (breakin maybe) I do not always realize how loud I have it.  Especially on dynamic passages of classical music.  Kind of like some cars feel like you are going 60 mph when you are actually going 90.  Also with breakin you will get considerably more fullness out of the bass and midrange which will increase perceived volume.  I would just put the volume where you think the song sounds its best and enjoy.  As you get familar with your M5S you will hone in on their sweet spots.

jazzman463

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:33 pm »
 :thumb:Hey Stockpit. Congrats. Go easy, I did not listen to music ( ok may I snuck in a few songs) until after 25 hours.  I am at 90 hours now and loving them. From 35 to 80 hours I was not super impressed. All kinds of beautiful sounds coming from them now. I am just starting to play with locations. I did just put on my spikes( small ones) with some Herbie's Audio Lab Cone /spike pucks last night . That did make a difference. Changed the angle and height of the speakers and firmed everything up. I am doing near field listening now and loving it. The high end blurring is ALL gone. I hear a true difference between UL and T listening. I can not get past 11:00 on my amp. I did order two bass traps as a final tweak. More to come ,as I am just starting to take notes on listen sessions. Enjoy them.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #23 on: 3 Jan 2020, 07:17 pm »
I do not know the answer regarding LTA Z10 but if you do some reading (6moons review I think) you will find that it has strong gain.  More wattage does not necessarily mean more gain.  Also in general tube amps deliver power equivalent to solid states with signficanly higher power ratings.

Regarding volume levels I have found over time with my M3S I have been backing off the volume.  Not because of fatigue but because of the lack of fatigue or perhaps other reasons (breakin maybe) I do not always realize how loud I have it.  Especially on dynamic passages of classical music.  Kind of like some cars feel like you are going 60 mph when you are actually going 90.  Also with breakin you will get considerably more fullness out of the bass and midrange which will increase perceived volume.  I would just put the volume where you think the song sounds its best and enjoy.  As you get familar with your M5S you will hone in on their sweet spots.

I agree with this. Sometimes when we have such low distortion it allows us to increase the volume without realizing how loud it really is. I've experienced this with a new SET tube amp I'm using. I don't realize how loud it is until my wife or kids let me know. The sound is just so clean I could keep turning it up without strain. The "perceived" loudness is the same as my old amp, but I'm actually at a higher volume and getting more dynamics without any harshness. It's a blessing (for me) and a curse (for the rest of the fam). If you had an accurate SPL meter I'm curious if you're actually at the same volume.

sockpit

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2020, 09:05 pm »
Thanks for the various replies to my question about volume level differences between my old 88 db Scansonics and the new 92 db Spatials.  I have to admit I remain a bit puzzled the difference on the dial is so modest, but it is what it is.

sockpit

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jan 2020, 09:16 pm »
:thumb:Hey Stockpit. Congrats. Go easy, I did not listen to music ( ok may I snuck in a few songs) until after 25 hours.  I am at 90 hours now and loving them. From 35 to 80 hours I was not super impressed. All kinds of beautiful sounds coming from them now. I am just starting to play with locations. I did just put on my spikes( small ones) with some Herbie's Audio Lab Cone /spike pucks last night . That did make a difference. Changed the angle and height of the speakers and firmed everything up. I am doing near field listening now and loving it. The high end blurring is ALL gone. I hear a true difference between UL and T listening. I can not get past 11:00 on my amp. I did order two bass traps as a final tweak. More to come ,as I am just starting to take notes on listen sessions. Enjoy them.

Go easy?  Ha, I was up until 2:30 am.  I have to say the out of box sound was disorienting, uneven across recordings (some sounding very good, others not so good), and even a bit worrying, esp. on the high end.  But I'm a patient man and they've been running a CD non-stop since I finally went to bed last night.

Skeptic that I am, I do wonder how much of speaker break-in is actually ear/brain break-in.  I suspect the initial disorientation of the OB design was in part due not only to the stiffness of the speakers out of the box, but also to my being so used to the tone, sound, dynamics of my old box/slim tower speaker.  Already today the M5s are sounding better to me.  How much of that is my brain at work and how much of it is actually the speakers burning-in is an endless and probably fruitless question. 

I've never heard, e.g., an audiophile complain that his cables or speakers or amp got worse with burn-in. That strikes me as curious since there is no law of physics or metaphysics that requires what we call "burn-in" to always result in the sound quality being more pleasing to the human ear. Them is probably fighting words on such a forum, but no provocation or offense to anyone intended  :wink:
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2020, 02:25 am by sockpit »

jazzman463

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jan 2020, 06:49 am »
I think some of that is the type of music I was listening to. At first simple..jazz,female vocals... later rock,symphonic,Jazz-big band..more complex sounds= more high end distortion. However Morrow audio , cables interconnects..., warn you that things get worse,before better. Also with me three things happened... I hit the proper location/toe in, hit about 90 to 100 hours and put the feet tips and pucks on. Now I cannot see how they can get any better in this room,with all associated equipment. I could not get through any Radiohead,War on Drugs,Depeche Mode or any rock. Now I am hearing all I was intended to. Clear,clean,dynamic, precisely staged,holographic sound. I am not at the concert hall, the musicians are in my room. I am snapping my fingers and tapping my toes and that as good as it gets.

JackD

« Reply #27 on: 4 Jan 2020, 07:15 am »
If your trying to judge a Spatial speaker before a couple of hundred hours then you are making a mistake.  That's why I put every new speaker into the Office system on the other side of the house and let it play for 10 days 24/7 before serious listening. And those big Eminence drivers do take time to loosen up.

sockpit

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jan 2020, 04:03 pm »
Thanks for the assurance. I plan to run mine continuously until the magic begins.  Then will play with toe in, distance from walls, etc.

Whitestix

« Reply #29 on: 5 Jan 2020, 12:47 am »
To the OP,
Did the speakers come in the large palleted crate shown in your first photo?  Please clarify.  I can't see the need for such a huge crate for them and the return process if you don't fancy them would be a nightmare.  Thanks for the clarification. 

Jprod

« Reply #30 on: 5 Jan 2020, 06:11 pm »
To the OP,
Did the speakers come in the large palleted crate shown in your first photo?  Please clarify.  I can't see the need for such a huge crate for them and the return process if you don't fancy them would be a nightmare.  Thanks for the clarification.
I’m not the OP but I can confirm that they come on a pallet as shown. Mine came the exact same way. 
Only Clayton would be able to address the return process.  On the surface it would seem like a nightmare but I have never dealt with a freight company to return an item

cordobaman

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jan 2020, 07:49 pm »
I’m not the OP but I can confirm that they come on a pallet as shown. Mine came the exact same way. 
Only Clayton would be able to address the return process.  On the surface it would seem like a nightmare but I have never dealt with a freight company to return an item

If you do not have a loading dock, then you must use what the trucking industry calls “tailgate service”. They  will send a trailer that has a lift on the back so that pallet can loaded into the trailer.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #32 on: 5 Jan 2020, 08:27 pm »
Thank you guys, and yes I am so happy Clayton worked with me on the gray stain., however the best part is after five minutes, not even enough time for the Manley to warm up, the sound is  mesmerizing . These are special speakers. We are all truly blessed to be playing around with such beautiful toys. Thank you Clayton. Marry Christmas to all.
PS ...they even smell good.
Jazzman, first congrats on the beautiful new speakers and here’s wishing you many hours of ecstatic listening enjoyment. What is the red listening chair in the photos? And thanks for taking the time to post all the photos.
Cheers,
Lester

jazzman463

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jan 2020, 01:52 pm »
LesterSleepsIn, It is the Human Touch Perfect Chair- Manual Recliner. Not the greatest chair for listening to speakers as it promotes relaxation...Sleep. Also must be tilted back a bit for maximum comfort and it has a high back on it.  For headphones , and a bad back, it is the best. I think it is a fitting chair for your name !

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Leather-Hand-Crafted-Zero-Gravity-Recliner/dp/B01HQLLL1M/ref=asc_df_B01HQLLL1M/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795260366955&psc=1