Manic Moose Update

gbaby

Re: Manic Moose Update
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2019, 11:32 pm »
No, I was not aware of this.  I will have to experiment with your suggestion to experience what the results are.  One question; when accessing the USB can you also access the NAS at the same time?

I don't know as I have never used NAS. I will try and find an article on the sound of USB and NAS so you will know and can make an informed decision.

gbaby

« Reply #21 on: 10 Dec 2019, 11:37 pm »
No, I was not aware of this.  I will have to experiment with your suggestion to experience what the results are.  One question; when accessing the USB can you also access the NAS at the same time?

Read the review below. Its the best I've read on the BDP-3.

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/bryston-bdp-3-digital-media-player/

Jozsef

« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2019, 04:25 am »
I asked Chis Rice if using a NAS as a source, with ZFS for the redundancy and self-healing feature, would have any deleterious affect on sound and he suggested that it very well might introduce some artifacts. This being the case, using it for a secure backup with a USB drive as the main source seems like the way to go. ZFS, notwithstanding its benefits, does not remove the need for a backup anyway, so it all works out.

PS. This site's spell check feature suggested I change "self-healing" to "slaveholder." I'd rather not!

zoom25

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2019, 09:01 am »
I asked Chis Rice if using a NAS as a source, with ZFS for the redundancy and self-healing feature, would have any deleterious affect on sound and he suggested that it very well might introduce some artifacts. This being the case, using it for a secure backup with a USB drive as the main source seems like the way to go. ZFS, notwithstanding its benefits, does not remove the need for a backup anyway, so it all works out.

PS. This site's spell check feature suggested I change "self-healing" to "slaveholder." I'd rather not!

Can James or Chris explain that?  :scratch: