Might be a dumb question, but here goes......

TKonrad.NOLA

Might be a dumb question, but here goes......
« on: 23 Nov 2019, 09:06 pm »
Do you use shelving with these types of stands?  What kind?  Or, do the components rest on those 4 black points?

Lifer

Re: Might be a dumb question, but here goes......
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2019, 09:13 pm »
My Adona Classic stand uses a similar system and they sell it with composite shelves granite on top glued to mdf.  I am happy with this.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2019, 09:48 pm »
I have never seen shelves with this rack model.
Its suited to hot Tube or SS Class A amps.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2019, 12:35 am by FullRangeMan »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2019, 11:39 am »
The best racks are very low, to locate between main speakers to keep speaker cables short while maintaining the fullest possible soundstage.  Anything solid interferes with the image.  I've heard this and am surprised how many others ignore it.  Even a 15" x 20" x 22" rack I had for years along the front wall caused interference.  This is totally opposed to the typical trophy display and physical convenience priorities.  But with streaming and ripped digital music the physical convenience is not an issue.  This idea was somewhat popular decades ago when fanatics were younger and more able bodied used to use amp stands for multiple components spread across the floor. 

Have always been a cheap purist and fan of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).  Recent systems have consisted of:

- a MacBook, DAC with volume control & small class D mono-blocks on a spiked shelf, speakers
- a MacBook, DAC with volume control on heavy maple shelf, active studio monitors on heavy sand filled stands
- a NAD M10 ("streaming ampilifier") on heavy maple shelf, speakers

Metal (and glass) supports resonate - bad.  Light weight racks resonate more easily - bad.  Soft (wooden) floors resonate - bad, expecially for turntables relating to footfalls.  Exposed, light weight components (especially tubes) can resonate from air borne vibrations (sound) - bad.  Adding this factors together is especially bad. 

So this is acoustically a very poor design.  The black "isolators" shown are apparently meant to support the components directly as the component feet probably won't line up with the "isolators".  The question regarding the "isolators" is are they tuned to the weight of your components, so they provide functional compliance (cushion) like the suspension on a car?  Normally this type of material is far too stiff to provide functional isolation.  So another strike against this rack.  Hopefully the manfacturer of your components have put thought into the design of their feet.  Of course if you just "turn that damn sound down" the isolation concerns go away and you'd be left with soundstage blocking and aesthetics issues. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2019, 01:10 pm »
I think he just wanted to know if shelves go on that rack.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2019, 11:56 am »
I think he just wanted to know if shelves go on that rack.

:lol:

JLM

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2019, 12:49 pm »
After 40+ years at this there's more I could write about racks.  Like most of audio marketers know that people buy with their eyes and hearts, not with their ears/brains.  Don't be fooled by the snake oil.

If shelves were intended, IMO it should have come with them. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:20 am »
And you always have great advice, your audio knowledge base is extensive.  I split my audio rack in two and was thinking about three because of your results using a low shelf as a rack.  I have one of those Lovan racks with spikes on every shelf section which lends itself to splitting into five individual shelves if one had the room.  Didn't look like that rack was configured that way, so I think it was just about shelves.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2019, 05:56 am »
I don't think it's a dumb question.  :thumb:

I checked the website; I watched the video, and clicked on the other similar racks. There is no mention of shelves anywhere. Flip a coin? Personally, I think shelves should be added, BWTFDIK?  :scratch:

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2019, 11:57 am »
Those black "footers" are obviously intended for shelves IMO.  But again, they're undoubtedly too stiff to offer any useful isolation function, just there to provide a "landing spot" for shelves.  Not the best design in terms of stability as the components + shelf center of gravity may not be between the four "footers" unless the rack is oversized. 

Frankly it looks like a creation made up of leftover parts from something completely different and wouldn't fit aesthetically in a domestically sophisticated home.  You'd be better off building a "flexi-rack" (search DIY audio rack designs) or simply use inexpensive "LACK" IKEA coffee/end tables.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2019, 05:12 pm »
The feet are adjustable in distance.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2019, 05:48 pm »

Frankly it looks like a creation made up of leftover parts from something completely different and wouldn't fit aesthetically in a domestically sophisticated home.

Please elaborate on the "domestically sophisticated home", JLM. Like indoor plumbing or electricity?

The rack appears to be a knock-off of something I've seen before, but don't recall name. I doubt any engineering was lavished on it, as that flies in the face of knock-off mentality. Only problem I can see with adding shelves might be if "perches" are too compliant to support uneven weight distribution of component. Might also be the case sans shelf.

genjamon

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2019, 07:46 pm »

The rack appears to be a knock-off of something I've seen before, but don't recall name.

Seems a cheap-o knockoff of Starsound products to me, especially the Sistrum approach: http://starsoundtechnologies.com/

lacro

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2019, 02:54 pm »
This rack is also available at Amazon.
Price: $379.16 & FREE Shipping.

Here's a review by a purchaser: I underlined a couple interesting things the reviewer mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very stable hi-fi rack.
July 13, 2019
Verified Purchase
This 4 shelf rack was specially requested to seller when I saw they have a 3 shelf version for sale. Within a day or 2, seller notified me right away a 4 shelf version is available. It arrived from China within 2 weeks by Fedex. Excellent service !

About the rack, the all aluminum rack is very stable, kind of heavy too. And it serves the purpose well. Putting together is fairly simple, except the weight is not light during assembly process. The horizontal aluminum bars are solid ! not hollow. No concern about resonance.

Equipment sit on the little rubber stand on each metal leg. 4 screw spikes are included for each vertical post. But for carpet flooring, I think without the spikes are just as good. the horizontal posts jointed with the vertical posts are precise enough to form a flat surface for the floor.

Highly recommended.

JLM

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2019, 12:24 pm »
Well, it's cheaper than the Sistrum stuff, but still not inexpensive.  Thanks for the info lacro.  Never sure how to take a single user review from a site like Amazon.

And thanks FRM for the confirmation that the black "feet" are meant to support components directly.

Peter J:  Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder, so I commented using broad brushstrokes.  Not sure what aesthetic it would fit into, maybe 50's sci-fi. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2019, 04:05 pm »
Do you use shelving with these types of stands?  What kind?  Or, do the components rest on those 4 black points?

FYI, when these guys were selling just the single rack support as an independent piece for amps, I bought one almost 10 years ago to see for myself. It was crap. Long been in recycling heaven.