BDA 3.14 DAC, preamp and streamer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA 3.14 DAC, preamp and streamer
« Reply #60 on: 4 Jan 2021, 03:46 pm »
I finally got around to connecting my 3.14 directly to my amplifier and using the pre amp feature.  The results were very good compared to running the signal through my Anthem AVM 60.
Question: If I use the RCA outputs to connect the 3.14 directly to my amplifier, can I simultaneously use one of the XLR outputs to send a signal to my JL Audio F112 subwoofer?

Thanks

Hi

You can but you would be only getting 1/2 of the bass signal - you need both to have a full bass performance.

james

Nitsuave

« Reply #61 on: 4 Jan 2021, 05:13 pm »
Hi

You can but you would be only getting 1/2 of the bass signal - you need both to have a full bass performance.

james

Great!
Thanks for the quick response James.

Alfalfa

« Reply #62 on: 17 May 2024, 06:12 am »
I recently bought a used BDA3.14 (SN#70) and are having some troubles getting it working.

When I want to reboot the unit through the MM software interface, it asks for a username and password that I don’t know of.

What to do next?

WillyP

« Reply #63 on: 17 May 2024, 07:21 am »
No worries! Username bryston and password bryston. Enjoy!

Alfalfa

« Reply #64 on: 17 May 2024, 07:45 am »
Thanks WillyP!  👍👍👍

redskinsfan

« Reply #65 on: 4 Jun 2024, 08:17 am »
James, I intend to purchase a BDA3 in the near future, and I'm curious: Why do you think that the BDA3 is the only DAC to offer HDMI inputs? Most all of the other DACs that I know of offer I2S instead. I will be running the HDMI audio only output of my OPPO 205 universal player into one of the HDMI inputs of the BDA3. Just can't figure out why Bryston is the only manufacturer to offer HDMI inputs. Thoughts?  :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #66 on: 4 Jun 2024, 11:01 am »
Hi

The 3.14 was designed a few years back and at the time we felt it would offer more features with HDMI.
1. You could use it in an audio video system as a universal DAC for both Audio and Video.
2. A lot of customers then used SACD players for Audio and they needed DSD decoding capability that HDMI provided.

Currently the 3.14 is offered with or without HDMI model.
Also the interface internally on the 3.14 is I2S.

best
james

Blueshound

« Reply #67 on: 4 Jun 2024, 12:54 pm »
Recently I started exploring the use of a 2 channel only preamp in my hybrid theatre / listening room, and replacing the SP3. Good as the SP3 sounds in 2CH Bypass mode, I use the room 90% of the time for stereo music listening, and wanted to optimize for music. We can get along without surround channels in that trade-off.

I'm now waiting for my turn in the BR-20 backorder queue. In the meantime, I can still use the BDA3's HDMI inputs and pass-through to the projector to show 2k and 4K video, accompanied by sound. The BR-20 will allow the same capability, although I could also get along quite nicely with the BDA3.

So for me, the HDMI inputs come with significant advantages.

Brian

gbaby

« Reply #68 on: 4 Jun 2024, 01:53 pm »
I finally got around to connecting my 3.14 directly to my amplifier and using the pre amp feature.  The results were very good compared to running the signal through my Anthem AVM 60.
Question: If I use the RCA outputs to connect the 3.14 directly to my amplifier, can I simultaneously use one of the XLR outputs to send a signal to my JL Audio F112 subwoofer?

Thanks

When I purchased my Bryston SP3 years ago, Atmos came out a couple of years later. I went to hear Atmos an the Anthem AVM-60.It sounded so steely and inaccurate, I knew then I'd never want Atmos, and I still don't want it; too gimmicky for me.