Crystal 10s now what.....suggestions appreciated

Russell Dawkins

Re: Crystal 10s now what.....suggestions appreciated
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2019, 05:49 pm »
I was thinking a piece of thick plexiglass with the sides bent back for support and the front angled upwards would be nice, since the driver is so photogenic.

I also think 125 Hz low pass on the sub might be a little low, as roll-off would start higher than 125 Hz with such a small open baffle.

mkane

« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2019, 12:55 am »
 And boy do I have some FR drivers for you to try. AN, Voxativ, Pm6a, 1808's. I'll bring em' over next time.

guf

« Reply #22 on: 22 Mar 2020, 08:35 pm »

Well I suddenly found my self with some extra time to play around with finding a way to use these.

guf

« Reply #23 on: 22 Mar 2020, 08:58 pm »
Its a fun listen. the center image and clarity is amazing. i have a couple rythmik subs to help with the bass. Placement is difficult with my other large speakers in the same room. i have been trying to try different placement. room is 13 x19. Right now the are 8 feet from front wall, they are 6 feet in that picture. Also trying to figure out the  adjustable wing variables.   Only using a 45 amp so not a lot of power. But plenty for my listening style.

bfstrysik

« Reply #24 on: 24 Mar 2020, 11:52 am »
Very nice. I have been contemplating some Lii fr drivers. Currently using Audio Nirvana 10" drivers in a bass reflex enclosure.

guf

« Reply #25 on: 24 Mar 2020, 08:45 pm »
Very nice. I have been contemplating some Lii fr drivers. Currently using Audio Nirvana 10" drivers in a bass reflex enclosure.
funny i was thinking of building some kind of bass reflex enclosure :)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #26 on: 24 Mar 2020, 08:59 pm »
funny i was thinking of building some kind of bass reflex enclosure :)

Like these?
https://www.lii-audio.com/dt_gallery/plans-for-cabinets-crystal-10-fast-10/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 25 Mar 2020, 11:27 am »
Like these?
https://www.lii-audio.com/dt_gallery/plans-for-cabinets-crystal-10-fast-10/

Interesting designs.  The first is a pipe (a reverse but less efficient transmission line), like the slanted interior baffle to redirect back waves.  The next one is a compromised open baffle of sorts (have seen a more graceful cabinet curve with larger opening and not sure the purpose of the top and bottom compartments).  The last two are transmission lines (TL).  Those unfamiliar with TL would mistake the last one as a simple ported design, but with the driver at one end and the port at the opposite end it will behave primarily as a TL (probably behave poorly). 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #29 on: 26 Mar 2020, 11:13 pm »
yeah i like the Leon one.
Me too—nice and simple.

oskar

« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2020, 03:49 pm »
Am I correct that there is no bottom panel On the Leon?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2020, 04:47 pm »

That is correct.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #32 on: 27 Mar 2020, 07:06 pm »

You might be interested in this discussion of enclosures for the Fast 10 and Crystal:
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7679

oskar

« Reply #33 on: 28 Mar 2020, 04:52 pm »
Thanks for pointing me to that. Very helpful.

What about that Fast 8? Rather inexpensive place to start and I've heard good things.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 28 Mar 2020, 06:59 pm »
Thanks for pointing me to that. Very helpful.

What about that Fast 8? Rather inexpensive place to start and I've heard good things.

I am using a pair of the Fast 8’s in a narrow open baffle with good results. They sound very good to my ears especially for the price. And I got mine brand new for 50% off which really makes me smile as I listen.

I’ve owned AER, Tangband, Decware modified Fostex, Audio Nirvana and a few others. Next to the AER the Fast 8’s are my favorite.

They don’t go very low though, at least in my narrow baffles. Not a problem for me as I have active bass reinforcement.

oskar

« Reply #35 on: 29 Mar 2020, 06:27 pm »
Have you a photo to share?

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 29 Mar 2020, 10:19 pm »
Have you a photo to share?

Hi Oskar,

Since this question followed my post I'm going to assume it was for me. If not please disregard.....

It's kind of a long story that I will try to keep short. I built these speakers for a customer back in 2012 and ended up getting them back on trade late last year. Having retired back in 2017 and downsized I no longer have a real listening room so they ended up in my little exercise / hangout space in the garage at our new place. Sorry in advance for the feeble pics....

In the picture above they have a 10" coaxial driver in the middle position. When I heard about the Lii Audio drivers and how good they were I wanted to try the Crystal 10's in place of the existing coaxial. Having retired early I have to curb my audio spending a bit so I then set my sights on the Fast 10 when Lii was liquidating their remaining stock. Unfortunately the Lii 10" drivers have a rather larger OD of about 10.75" and wouldn't fit into the existing cutout on the rear of the baffles. While I was hemming and hawing about having to enlarge the openings at the rear of the baffles I got a really good deal on the Fast 8's. Turns out their OD was pretty much the same as the existing cutout in the front of the baffle. So I just pushed the whole driver from the rear out more or less flush with where the driver cut out bevel started. So now they looked like this.

I didn't much care for the color of the new driver or seeing the entire frame so I decided to add grill cloth to make them blend with the edifice a bit better. And while as I was at it I added grill cloth to the four woofers too. Ended up looking a lot cleaner with all the drivers hidden.

Mike

oskar

« Reply #37 on: 30 Mar 2020, 04:06 pm »
Thanks for posting pix. Bass reinforcement indeed. Pics are not feeble.
Nice build. Not what I was expecting to see but they look great.
So the entire baffle is open baffle? How thick is baffle?

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 30 Mar 2020, 04:40 pm »
Thanks for posting pix. Bass reinforcement indeed. Pics are not feeble.
Nice build. Not what I was expecting to see but they look great.
So the entire baffle is open baffle? How thick is baffle?

:lol: Well what were you expecting to see Oskar?!

Your comment reminds me of a quote from Wild at Heart:

My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have.

Yes, it is full open baffle. Here's a pic of the back, the 3" support tube is filled with lead shot and just that support tube is a two man carry.

The baffle is 1.25" (31.75 mm) thick solid wenge. I bought 2" thick material and re-sawed it down to about 1.5" thick. With the remaining 3/8" thick material my good buddy built three of the best sounding guitars he has ever built. And he had enough left over to build a Weissenborn too.

It's a pain in the ass to work with, very brittle but maybe that's why its sounds so good.

Mike

oskar

« Reply #39 on: 2 Apr 2020, 03:29 pm »
awesome thanks for sharing.