Crystal 10s now what.....suggestions appreciated

guf

Crystal 10s now what.....suggestions appreciated
« on: 13 Nov 2019, 09:51 pm »
So I got caught in the hype. Purchased these, forgot and now they are here.  I know I can read, and I have read a lot of the Decware thread.  But whats the quickest way to get these up and running. I have tools and some skills as a carpenter.   Thanks in advanced!

guf

Re: Crystal 10s now what.....suggestions appreciated
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:01 pm »
ok i see there has been a lot of pages added to the big betsy page..... getting caught up. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:06 pm »
It rated at 93dB spl, so best option to my taste could be the Barrel OB panel and a passive wooffer or a active sub under 100/200Hz to be tested in the room.

A Bass Reflex box is not my favorite for this FR.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:33 pm »
It rated at 93dB spl

:scratch:
Website has 99

guf

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:34 pm »
It rated at 93dB spl, so best option to my taste could be the Barrel OB panel and a passive wooffer or a active sub under 100/200Hz to be tested in the room.

A Bass Reflex box is not my favorite for this FR.
hmmm isn't it 99?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:39 pm »
99dB is the Fast10S model:

guf

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:42 pm »

its ok guys  up and running

guf

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:43 pm »

i ordered this one. Isn't item 17 the number we are looking for?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:52 pm »
Better buy new eye glasses fullrange dude.  8)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2019, 11:05 pm »
Correct this is 99.1dB sorry.
With this hi sensitivity a big Bass Reflex box also turns interesting to fit a small tube amp. Just see they have a 15'' woofer to match the 10'' full range.
https://www.lii-audio.com/index.php/product/15-inch-woofer-1-pair-2pcs-for-bass-compensation-of-open-baffle-or-cabinet-w-15/

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2019, 11:45 pm »
Guf,

Two points:

That’s really cool how you did that with the drivers and Isoacoustics stands. Can you snap close up photos to show details?

Second: How the hell did you manage to sneak into my kitchen; remove one of my coffee cups to snap that photo, and sneak it back into my kitchen without my noticing??

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2019, 11:54 pm »
Just see they have a 15'' woofer to match the 10'' full range.

They also have a 12"

guf

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2019, 01:00 am »
Guf,

Two points:

That’s really cool how you did that with the drivers and Isoacoustics stands. Can you snap close up photos to show details?

Second: How the hell did you manage to sneak into my kitchen; remove one of my coffee cups to snap that photo, and sneak it back into my kitchen without my noticing??

thats definitly mine, it has a chip in it. if I did have yours, not saying I do but I'd for sure not get busted and post it.    :roll:

Second pic is the simpler version. They are aim directly at my now. I have a Rythmik F8 under my desk. So it suprisely sounds ok. Powering with a 45 amp and Slagle passive pre.

guf

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2019, 04:58 pm »

so we got kinda lost with suggestions.... but now I have to ask why do i need a baffle? what does it do? makes bass?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2019, 05:13 pm »
so we got kinda lost with suggestions.... but now I have to ask why do i need a baffle? what does it do? makes bass?
OB speakers need baffles to hold the drivers and enhance bass, unless they are very big, even the Fostex 32'' was suggested to a BR box by the manufacturer.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/images/products/secondary/fw800hs-1.png

Brad

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2019, 05:19 pm »
In the nearfield like that, I'd think a minimal baffle would work, just to enhance/fill out the sound a bit.  Maybe something 2-3" outside the driver.  There's not room for much there.  I like the simplicity of the setup.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2019, 05:22 pm »
Speakers need baffles to hold the drivers and enhance bass, unless they are very big, even the Fostex 32'' was suggested to a BR box by the manufacturer.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/images/products/secondary/fw800hs-1.png

Some of the numbers related to that Fostex 32" are surprising—the magnet weight, the sensitivity and the xmax, for example.

guf

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2019, 05:35 pm »
In the nearfield like that, I'd think a minimal baffle would work, just to enhance/fill out the sound a bit.  Maybe something 2-3" outside the driver.  There's not room for much there.  I like the simplicity of the setup.

Yeah. Nearfield make this all possible I guess. But even standing up and stepping a few feet away I was thinking the glass and the corners were "helping". I have my F8 under the desk playing up to 125.  I was just breaking in and expirmenting with the desktop.  My plan was to put then in a betsy stlyle baffle and maybe even keep them on the desk. But a littler baffle sounds more attractive.

I've tried so many different options on here. Blumenstein, omegas, all varieties, I had a rediculous Hersey III on here last week and loved it. These are fun.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2019, 05:42 pm »
If you are planning to use them on the desk I would suggest a small baffle with shallow sides.

Edit: shallow open back box is a better description of what I was thinking.