The New R-DES system

John Casler

The New R-DES system
« on: 8 Feb 2005, 03:02 am »
Hi Mark, I saw you were trying to post this and hope this is helpful.

If not please delete it.

First a URL that shows the R-DES intro

http://www.av123.com/pop_news.php?id=96

Mark, I have a larger "GUI screenshot" you sent me some time ago, but not sure if it is the current look.

Here is the one from the AV123 page which is a little small:

BradJudy

The New R-DES system
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2005, 03:16 am »
Lets see if I can get this bigger one to work as a direct link...

angelo

The New R-DES system
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2005, 03:36 am »
and ofcourse the hardware :)

angelo

jermmd

The New R-DES system
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2005, 03:38 am »
What is the frequency range that can be affected by RDES?

Joe M.

BradJudy

The New R-DES system
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2005, 04:18 am »
Quote from: jermmd
What is the frequency range that can be affected by RDES?

Joe M.

I'm not sure what they settled on, but last I heard I think it was something like 10-120Hz.  Perhaps Mark or Dave can chime in with the final decision on the limits.

DTB300

The New R-DES system
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2005, 01:17 pm »
I wish I could remember what those ranges were (at one point I "thought" it was going to be up to 200, but as BradJudy states - it is what they decided on for the final product), but whatever they will be, this will be a great addition to anyone's system looking to improve their low end bass response.  We will now be able to crank up those subs without getting the boom and rumble masking out the other frequencies.  

I am in the process of purchasing my mic and testing software in anticipation of the arrival of my new toy...  :)

Dan

ctviggen

The New R-DES system
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2005, 01:24 pm »
I tried to use ETF last night, but I think I need some additional cables.  How are we to input the values for the frequency response?

DTB300

The New R-DES system
« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2005, 03:02 pm »
From the current pictures of the software above, the crossover point is set to 80 yet the dial marking looks to be around 10:30 - 11:00.  So with that in mind, my guess would be around the 200 mark, but it will be good to see if AV123 folks chime in and confirm that...

Dan

John Kotches

The New R-DES system
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2005, 09:23 pm »
R-DES crossover can be engaged from 40 to 200Hz, and is defeatable.

Cheers,

BradJudy

The New R-DES system
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2005, 09:59 pm »
Quote from: John Kotches

That sounds like the response of a man who has one of the first run units in his hands.  :)

John Casler

The New R-DES system
« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2005, 10:16 pm »
Quote from: BradJudy
Quote from: John Kotches

That sounds like the response of a man who has one of the first run units in his hands.  :)

No Doubt, and I can't wait :o

ctviggen

The New R-DES system
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2005, 01:28 am »
Well, I've reached the conclusion that I can't use the R-DES in my situation.   I want to use both subs and the main speakers to produce bass.   I currently have an NHT X2 active crossover that runs the subs at about 50Hz and lower, but I'm also running the main speakers (RM40s) full range.  If I use the R-DES on the subs only, I could get rid of one (massive!) peak below 50Hz.  However, all my other peaks are above 50 Hz.  What this means is that I'd have to apply the R-DES to less than 200 Hz (for instance), yet have <50 go to my subs and 0-200 go to the woofers of my RM40s.  There is no way for me to do this unless I bought two R-DESs.  When you combine the cost of two R-DESs and the 4 or sets of interconnects I'd need, I think that gets a bit too complex of a system.

angelo

The New R-DES system
« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2005, 06:06 am »
Quote from: ctviggen
Well, I've reached the conclusion that I can't use the R-DES in my situation.   I want to use both subs and the main speakers to produce bass.   I currently have an NHT X2 active crossover that runs the subs at about 50Hz and lower, but I'm also running the main speakers (RM40s) full range.  If I use the R-DES on the subs only, I could get rid of one (massive!) peak below 50Hz.  However, all my other peaks are above 50 Hz.  What this means is that I'd have to apply the R-DES to less than 200 Hz (for instanc ...

i think you can use 2 subs in one R-DES, if it has 1 pair of  stereo outs then use one channel per sub

angelo

jermmd

The New R-DES system
« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2005, 01:26 pm »
Are these shipping yet?
Any reviews?

Joe M.

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
The New R-DES system
« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2005, 10:30 pm »
Sorry I missed this Joe.  R-DES is in late beta and I can not say exactly when it will be released but man we are close.  I can tell you another feature was added recently and we are finishing uo debugging.  I will rip this from our news page...

2.25.05 Update:

A great new feature has just been added to R-DES!

Called Onix Graph Paper, this new feature allows you to do away with pencil and (actual)graph paper and use the intuative R-DES interface to plot your frequency measurment.

The installation disc that comes with R-DES has 1/6 and 1/12 octave test tones. The application will give you a choice of quick sweep (1/6) or accurate sweep (1/12). Play pink noise and set your volume to a reasonable level. When you enter this pink level SPL into the graph, it will recenter around that SPL value! Go through the test tones and enter the SPL values into the proper fields. All the graphing happens in real time (as long as you have two points). This will allow you to easily see where your problem areas are and correct them with R-DES.

Onix Graph Paper is aware that many will be using the Radio Shack SPL meter. Simply set the filter to 'RS meter' and the graph will compensate for that meter's C-weighted response and display a correct U-weighted response! For those that want to see exactly what the C-weighted response is, a faint dashed line will appear along with the U-weighted curve for comparison.

If that was not enough, you can just grab the graph and drag it to the desktop to create a png screen shot of the frequency response graph. This means that you can just drag from the graph into an email to attach an image of your frequency response!

This cool new feature along with all the test tones will be included with R-DES at no additional charge.

Sean

Sean Parque

The New R-DES system
« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2005, 10:30 pm »

Sean Parque

The New R-DES system
« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2005, 10:31 pm »
I actually have one more image from the Graph Paper for everyone but it's from an older build and shows 1/3 octave for the quick sweep but it's going to be 1/6...

Mr Whippy

The New R-DES system
« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2005, 12:48 am »
Got pictures of the back end?  :lol:
I'm looking at this unit, however I would like

single RCA input (subwoofer) on the RDES, with single RCA out. Preset 1 with PEQ the subwoofer out, sub sonic filter bypassed, no crossover.
and
stereo RCA input (from Hi-Fi pre-amp) on the RDES, stereo RCA out. Preset 2 with sub sonic filtering @ 40hz or 50hz, crossover bypassed. Help to remove low bass (standmount speakers) then divert low bass to the single RCA output.

Can or will the RDES allow me to that?

ta

Mr Whippy

The New R-DES system
« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2005, 12:49 am »
oop double post.

Sean Parque

The New R-DES system
« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2005, 07:23 pm »
See photo below... :)

You can not do multiple subs with the unit...you would need two :D

Sean

Quote from: Mr Whippy
Got pictures of the back end?  :lol:
I'm looking at this unit, however I would like

single RCA input (subwoofer) on the RDES, with single RCA out. Preset 1 with PEQ the subwoofer out, sub sonic filter bypassed, no crossover.
and
stereo RCA input (from Hi-Fi pre-amp) on the RDES, stereo RCA out. Preset 2 with sub sonic filtering @ 40hz or 50hz, crossover bypassed. Help to remove low bass (standmount speakers) then divert low bass to the single RCA output.

Can or will the RDES allow me to that?

ta