BDP-1 or BDA-1? The weakest link?

hawkeye99

BDP-1 or BDA-1? The weakest link?
« on: 5 Nov 2019, 09:54 pm »
Which one would you upgrade? I would probably look at the next generation BDP-2 and BDA-2. Connectivity doesn't seem to be an issue so I'm looking for an improvement in sonics.

zoom25

Re: BDP-1 or BDA-1? The weakest link?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2019, 10:30 pm »
I'd upgrade the DAC first. The USB performance in particular is also improved on BDA-2/3 in comparison to BDA-1.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2019, 11:36 pm »
What exactly about your SQ are you looking to improve?

BDA-3 gets you more mileage and versatility, since it accepts multiple inputs from various sources upstream. Go for it. (I did). That's assuming you're unhappy with your BDA-1. I loved it -- used it for 7 years before jumping to a -3. Still have the -1. Afraid to sell it.

A.P.A

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2019, 11:56 pm »
Hello ...I'm new to the Audio Circle and just seen this topic about the BDA-1 and BDP-1. So i just purchased a used BDA-1 ,hopefully to receive it by the end of the work week looking forward to adding it to my new building audiophile system. This would be my first Bryston equipment and looking to follow up with the BDP-1 before Xmas of this year. I've had the privileged to hear the BDA-1 and was very impressed with the sound quality on my system.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2019, 12:06 am »
^ Wilkommen to AC.
Enjoy your BDA-1. It's a terrific DAC. End-game for many, imho.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2019, 12:09 am »
Hello ...I'm new to the Audio Circle and just seen this topic about the BDA-1 and BDP-1. So i just purchased a used BDA-1 ,hopefully to receive it by the end of the work week looking forward to adding it to my new building audiophile system. This would be my first Bryston equipment and looking to follow up with the BDP-1 before Xmas of this year. I've had the privileged to hear the BDA-1 and was very impressed with the sound quality on my system.

Free advice: Try to get a used BDP-2. The extra horsepower is worth it. Get it with an IAD installed, if possible.

Here's one (no IAD):

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649557395-bryston-bdp-2/

A.P.A

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2019, 12:53 am »
Free advice: Try to get a used BDP-2. The extra horsepower is worth it. Get it with an IAD installed, if possible.

Here's one (no IAD):

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649557395-bryston-bdp-2/

Thanks for the welcome and for the free advice. I'll keep that in mind with the IAD  upgrade. :thumb:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2019, 08:42 am »
hi, A.P.A

...and welcome to AC!

if you like the sound of the BDA-1 then stay with it and go for a BDP-2/3. like CM already said the extra horsepower does a lot especially if your digital music library is going to grow and grow. but keep in mind that the usb input of the BDA-1 is limited to 48khz/16bit !!

happy listening :thumb:

al.

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2019, 10:31 am »
I think you're on the wrong track. You won't much improvement with the BDA-2 over BDA-1 and you certainly won't find any improvement with BDP-2 over BDP-1. My choice would be a higher end DAC but unless you're looking at some DIY / small manufacture DACs, you'll have to spend a lot to achieve a significant improvement over the BDA-1. Look at Lampizator DACs as it is easier to achieve higher sound quality with tubes. From my understanding, Lampizator is no longer a DIY project and from a few hundered €, they now sell their DACs for a lot more. I have one of their earlier versions and it is the best DAC I have heard. But be prepared to forget flexibility or longevity of the Products from commercial brands like Bryston and others.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2019, 02:11 pm »
I'd upgrade the DAC first. The USB performance in particular is also improved on BDA-2/3 in comparison to BDA-1.

The DAC chips are also much newer, but zoom25 is also correct to point out the USB as it would allow you to bypass the on board audio in your BDP-1 which to would be an improvement.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2019, 07:06 pm »
The DAC chips are also much newer, but zoom25 is also correct to point out the USB as it would allow you to bypass the on board audio in your BDP-1 which to would be an improvement.

hey Chris, can you expand on the comment 'bypass on board audio" in the BDP1?  lost ya there... thanks!
TJ

schmidtmike76

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2019, 04:23 pm »
The performance jump from the Bda1 to the BDA3 was significant.  I would upgrade there first only for the improved sound quality.  Then I would look for the 2-3 player. 

shawngt2

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:54 pm »
Depends on budget, would definitely upgrade DAC first as others are saying. Reason being that has more horsepower IMO. Also, BDA-2 if you don't need the HDMI inputs. For example, I went BDA-3 because I watch concert blu-rays and found the TOSLINK has a lower volume than digital input. Since going HDMI in for the Blu-ray, it better matches the USB input of a computer or BDP. I think that contributes to better SQ.

shawngt2

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:56 pm »
hi, A.P.A

...and welcome to AC!

if you like the sound of the BDA-1 then stay with it and go for a BDP-2/3. like CM already said the extra horsepower does a lot especially if your digital music library is going to grow and grow. but keep in mind that the usb input of the BDA-1 is limited to 48khz/16bit !!

happy listening :thumb:

al.

IMO, anything above CD quality is undistinguishable. the HD audio thing is overblown. CD or LP provides all the SQ we could hear.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2019, 12:12 am »
IMO, anything above CD quality is undistinguishable. the HD audio thing is overblown. CD or LP provides all the SQ we could hear.

Hey, do whatever turns your keys.

For me, well-recorded masters up to 96/24, on my system, provide extra audible info, such as ambience cues and better stage depth in the case of symphonic/choral pieces. Hard to generalize to all cases, so I won't do that.

cheers

shawngt2

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2019, 09:02 pm »
We can probably argue until we're blue in the face and my intention is not to argue, that much :D If your ears pickup more than 20kHz than you obviously have golden ears I would pay 6 figures for. My hearing drops after 16kHz, tested at 41yo. So, I can't even hear the complete dynamic range of 16/44. It's scientific fact which supports why I can't tell a difference during a/b on my system (all new Bryston gear front to back and Harbeth 40.2, so I should hear it if it's there). And, even if I do hear 16kHz test sounds, it completely disappears into the background to the other low/mid frequencies that are playing back in normal music. Yes, this is comparing true digital from the source HiRes files vs downsampled ones from the same source. You don't listen to 16kHz test tones while playing music and if you did, it's disappeared into the background. I can also bring up the fact that volume reference between test tones comes to play.

Try this... play a 1khz sine wave. Turn the volume down until you can pretty much hear it slightly above the noise in the room.
Now dial in 10khz....can u hear it?....good, you're doing just fine.
Try 14khz...can you hear it??. You turned up the volume, cheater  :lol:
Try 16Khz...where'd it go?!?!??!

The only reason we have recorded 24/192 music, that I'm aware of, is simply due to the Nyquist Theorum (therefore, at 48k samples, your highest recorded frequency would be 24khz). Which is still inaudible to the human ear.

Of course, believe your ears and not what others tells you. I have a BDA-3 and honestly want to believe that HD files are better, but I just don't hear it. I cannot even tell the difference between 320kbps MP3 vs CD after extensive a/b and found that I am not alone. I had an argument which I had to stop even battling because some guy was telling me his silver cables changed the sound signature of his stereo image. Being of an Eng. background, there is a lot of hocus pocus in cables. The only difference I am aware of between copper/silver is that silver has less resistance, so you can get away with a slightly thinner cable vs copper to accomplish the same thing.

Here's a good YouTube watch. Doesn't prove HD audio, but proves 320 vs CD cannot be fully identified by most people, all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEjI5PZa78

Again, not arguing or trying to say anyone is wrong, just my ears and logics are in place to believe HD audio or rediculous cables (keeping in mind cables in your wall and amplifiers are not made of silver!) makes no audible difference. I really want to be proven wrong and would love the opportunity to do an A/B that can prove my current opinion wrong so that I can change that opinion! That's my 2c

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2019, 10:31 pm »
^ I'm not arguing with anyone.
I just hate it when some people make sweeping generalizations.

keep cool, and carry on.

shawngt2

« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2019, 10:50 pm »
^ I'm not arguing with anyone.
I just hate it when some people make sweeping generalizations.

keep cool, and carry on.

Aren't you doing the same?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2019, 10:54 pm »
Aren't you doing the same?

I'm definitely cool. No rant here.

There's at least one or two separate threads elsewhere for arguments re. hi-res vs CDQ, hearing biases, etc.

hawkeye99

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2020, 10:20 pm »
I'm thinking my best option would be the BDP-2 with the IAD. From what I'm reading, it's s noticeable improvement over the BDP-1. And it's within my budget. Anything more and I'll have to save a little more moola. Whatever I decide on, it will be in the used market.