Tube guy wanting to try SS amp?!?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Tube guy wanting to try SS amp?!?
« Reply #100 on: 10 Nov 2019, 03:39 pm »
Interesting review. And mirrors what I’ve heard with stout transmitter tube SET amps as well. I would only note that his final comparison of 211/845 should be taken with a grain of salt. The 211 tubes he used were of significantly higher quality than the 845 tubes. Those base-level 845 tubes could easily have been the reason for the performance differential there, in my experience.

These kinds of SETs are magical, but exact a heavy toll in operating costs (highest quality 845 tubes go for upward of $1k, and even decent performers are >$500 a pair, plus all the other tubes in these amps).
211/845 have silly prices and short life, forget this commercial chinese tubes, go for the real Mc Coy Russian Military Tubes as GM70 (great sound quality at 1100V) and dirty cheap $17/each, or better yet GK71 Pentode great sound quality already at 800V and only $27/each !!
http://www.gstube.com/catalog/?key=gm70&submit=Find

http://www.gstube.com/catalog/?key=gk71&submit=Find

Wind Chaser

« Reply #101 on: 10 Nov 2019, 07:32 pm »
It doesn’t have to be that way althou, particularily in 300B amps, i have heard it more often than not. I call the syrupy ones to be a classically, tubey sound, a good SET will not have this kind of behaviour until pushed far harder than it should be.

The 300b is my least preferred SET. To my ears I would describe its overall signature as being too laid back and lethargic or lacking vitality and vigor. Having said that, I do not care for excessively spirited in your face bravado either.

IMO an amplifier shouldn’t manifest any identifiable signature/character. Every tube amp I have heard stamps its own unique signature on the music one way or the other. Music is better without that.  :wink:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #102 on: 10 Nov 2019, 07:37 pm »
Syrupy was a bad description?!? What you said!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no idea as to what your point is or what you are trying to say here.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #103 on: 10 Nov 2019, 07:56 pm »
It seems that the SET amp magic doesn't happen with all speakers. In other words...you can't just plunk any SET amp in front of any high efficiency speaker and be certain you will get the "low level transparency" you referred to.

Some SET amps are not capable of SET magic.  :lol:

And you are quite correct, SET amps are especially finicky when it comes to speakers.

As everyone knows, or at least as everyone should know, building a system around the best possible speakers you can afford that are appropriate for your room makes more sense than building a system around a finicky amplifier with modest power output that’s going to determine what few options you have for loudspeakers.

Oh,and when it comes to low level transparency, The best Class D amps have it in spades. After all the tube amps I have owned over the years - it’s been two years and I’m not missing any of them, :D :D   or the type of speakers that came with the territory of owning a SET.  :lol: