Wow. Vinyl revenue may soon surpass CD's!

Mike-48

Re: Wow. Vinyl revenue may soon surpass CD's!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2019, 07:16 am »
I guess that if you are old-fashioned enough to want a physical copy, you are as likely to want it on LP as CD.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2019, 09:36 am »
I guess that if you are old-fashioned enough to want a physical copy, you are as likely to want it on LP as CD.

Yes. In fact... I usually want it more on LP, with the logic that better (than CD) digital copies are often available online. Although, I buy CDs too now and then (usually impulse purchases).

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2019, 01:31 pm »

When the internet crashes we'll all be laughing and listening. 😊 Seriously though, for those with large collections it's rather daunting to digitize the whole thing, my brother's been doing his for years.  I do so much streaming that I haven't played the two albums I bought last week yet, but I do have a fairly large collection that I won't part with until my passing.  I think LPs passing CDs is more a function of the decline of CDs.

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2019, 02:53 pm »
Which is why it's a good time to buy up used CDs. They are dirt cheap. The pendulum will swing around soon enough, and improvements in DAC playback is making good old 16/44 sound better and better.

Very happy vinyl is going strong though. Hoping all the new tables are finally forcing vintage pricing to be more reasonable.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2019, 05:06 pm »
“Vinyl revenue may soon surpass CD's!”

I’m surprised it has happened yet. CD’s are dying medium and sales have in decline for a long, long time. That vinyl sales are still trailing CD sales suggests that vinyl isn’t nearly as popular as some would like to think. If it wasn’t for streaming and downloading, CD revenue would be exponentially higher than vinyl.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2019, 06:16 pm »
“Vinyl revenue may soon surpass CD's!”

I’m surprised it has happened yet. ...
I'm sure I read this same headline last year.  Vinyl is hot now.