Surround Sound for Music - Speakers to the Sides of Your Head?

Ex JL Rep

So I like to set up a surround sound system for music. Historically, I put the surround speakers in the rear, closer together, to mirror the front stereo speakers. Kind of like a quad setup. I've been doing this since the 80's, with Hafler/matrix surround hook up. Then later, with Dolby prologic.

But I see the typical speaker placement recommendations for surround sound showing speakers to the sides of the room / to the sides of the listener's heads.

So my question is, if you have 2 to 3 people on a couch, for anyone off-center, with side speakers, won't they tend to hear one surround channel louder than the other? I'm not sure that's the best solution for music?

I have heard of some people setting up dual systems in the same room for both music and movies. I'm not sure I want to bother with that.

Perhaps a good 7.1 music system would include rear surrounds and front wide speakers? What do you guys think?

WGH

It's all an experiment. Generally the surround speakers are to the sides and slightly behind, the latest thinking is they can be raised so heads next to you don't block the sound. A dipole or bipole surround speaker will not beam as much, which one is better for your space is a guess.

I use DTS:X for programs that stream in 2 channel and the sound fills the room, I haven't tried it with stereo music since it would require changing connections and the stereo sounds so darn good.
https://dts.com/dtsx

In a week or two I'll be experimenting with a pair of Triad OnWall Surrounds I found on eBay as I slowly transition to an 7.1.4 Atmos from a 5.1. I have never heard the speakers so don't know if they will timberally match, an important aspect if you are listening to music, probably less so for movies (depending on how much a purist you are). Triad has an extensive selection of InWall, OnWall, and separate speakers and they have a user group at AVS Forum:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/921427-triad-owner-s-thread.html

These are the surrounds I bought:

https://www.triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/onwall/ow-bronze-surround/

mcgsxr

I own Paradigm ADP-190 V6's (bipolar) as surrounds in my basement on wall HT.

I placed them just behind my main seating position, and up at around 6 feet off the floor.

When I sit on one of the couches that are under one of those speakers I do notice a little more from them than when in the sweet spot, but for movies I don't find it all a problem. 

I do prefer bipolar surrounds - but I also don't use this HT setup at all for music.  Some who do use their HT for music and movies prefer direct radiating speakers for music. 

I have not gone beyond 5.1 for the HT.  I could add rears for 7.1, but did not run wiring for any Atmos type speakers.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
My set up is currently as shown below. The side surrounds are relatively new, and I felt a very worth while addition for movies, and music in surround as well.
With that said, I generally still prefer most music in 2-channel mode. Full room description can be found here...

Media_Room_201908 by Barry, on Flickr

youngho

Yes, no but much of the content will come from the front three channels, yes or you could position the side surrounds somewhat to the front of the sides of the listening position, or you could go to 9.

Maybe take a look here, specifically part 2: https://routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/9781138921368/home-theatre.php

"Elevating the side loudspeakers and arranging for the tweeters to fire over the heads of the nearest listeners is a way to achieve some of this effect in a relatively harmless way."

If you find these to be helpful, I highly recommend the book Sound Reproduction.

Ex JL Rep

It's all an experiment.

- WGH, I think you nailed it with the first reply and the very first line of your post!

witchdoctor

I primarily listen in an immersive setup. I recommend starting with 5.1 and the surround speakers aligned to the sides of the listening position and can be a little behind or in front.

If you are doing 7.1 add wide channels before rear channels. Wide channels are the most impactful as they replicate that first reflection point you would get in a concert hall.

Finally you could add rear surround channels.

As far as upmixing codecs my preferences are Auro 3-D, DTS Neo-X (now only available on older receivers), Dolby Atmos, and then the DTS NEO:6 music or Dolby PLII. Here is an article about the speaker setup if you are using wide channels:

https://www.stormaudio.com/media/dtsneoxwhite_paper__019028000_1625_04032013.pdf

wspohn

I mounted sides on the ceiling at the room edges and the rears also on the ceiling, but spaced as the OP stated, with about the same separation as the main speakers, which are also the speakers for my audio system.  Seems to work very well.

I have found that listeners sitting other than in the sweet spot are not that sensitive to surround speaker placement.