R-DES and True Audio RTA

DTB300

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« on: 4 Feb 2005, 12:50 pm »
Mike...

Saw your post about using True Audio RTA.  I see the Behringer EMC8000 is a good mic to use for reasonable cost.  What PreAmp did/do you use?  Or can you recommend one for a good price? ooppsss...I see the True Audio RTA site has suggestions...read Dan read....  :)

I found the site I belive:  http://www.trueaudio.com/     Correct?

I am on the pre-order list with AV123 for R-DES and this little unit is a real sleeper (For those not on AV123 or ACI forums).  Cannot wait to get mine.

Any more info you can provide on the software, mic, etc would be greatly appreciated.  I want to order stuff now so when R-DES arrives I am all ready.

I was thinking of getting a Rad Shack meter but......

Thanks,
Dan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2005, 01:29 pm »
Dan,

Not Mike, but this is what I use.  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040628070915066245196102702682/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/701368/
It's not the cheapest but has very easy to connect and use.

DTB300

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2005, 01:40 pm »
You are right...not cheap.  But I was also wondering about the hookups from Mic PreAmp to Laptop.  This seems to take care of all of them as a package with mic, pre, etc:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=21996&Category=Mixers

Comments?  Looks a little overkill as cables can be had pretty cheap from Rad Shack

Dan

BradJudy

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2005, 02:10 pm »
Dan,

The ART MicroMix was recommended by someone on the AV123 forums who works with AV123 on measurement technologies for use with TrueRTA and/or ETF.  It's cheap ($50) and looks pretty simple: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicroMix/

He also said "If you want calibrated SPL measurements Kim Girardin at Wadenhome Sound can calibrate the mic for a very reasonable price."

woodsyi

• Volunteer
R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2005, 02:15 pm »
Looks ok.  It seems to be geared more for a voice input than a measuring set up.  If there is no difference between B1 and EMC800, I would say go for it.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2005, 02:18 pm »
M-audio pre is USB powered.  So, it's an easy connection to you laptop.

DTB300

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2005, 02:23 pm »
Quote from: BradJudy
He also said "If you want calibrated SPL measurements Kim Girardin at Wadenhome Sound can calibrate the mic for a very reasonable price."

FAQ for True Audio RTA stated that if you are only interested in relative measurements like "there is a peak of +6.25 dB at 500Hz compared to the rest of the response" then calibration is irrelevant.

So it appears that calibration is not really required.   Or am I reading it the FAQ wrong?

Dan

Mike Dzurko

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2005, 03:14 pm »
I can enthusiastically recommend Trueaudio RTA. Very easy to use, powerful, effective. I use several different mics, but usually my calibrated Josephson is what I use. I know there are a number of fairly inexpensive solutions out there that should work fine.

Its true, you don't really need a calbrated mic to do these measurements and corrections. It would help to have a general idea of what the mic response is. IF for example it is significantly down by 20Hz you'd want to know that so you don't try to over compensate.

BTW: Kim at Waldensound is a good guy. I think he may even offer a complete package, might want to check it out.

Thanks for all the other replies. Dan, could you please edit this one and make it a sticky? It could be an ongoing resource for LOTS of people.

DTB300

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2005, 03:26 pm »
Quote from: Mike Dzurko
Thanks for all the other replies. Dan, could you please edit this one and make it a sticky? It could be an ongoing resource for LOTS of people.

Ummm...sure....hmmm...make it a sticky....mmmm....no sign in EDIT on making it a sticky.  Help?

Dan

DTB300

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2005, 05:18 pm »
The ART MicroMix was recommended by someone on the AV123 forums who works with AV123 on measurement technologies for use with TrueRTA and/or ETF.  It's cheap ($50) and looks pretty simple: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicroMix/"

According to the info on the ART, it "appears" that the phantom power is only avilable on the XLR inputs and not the 1/4"

On-board phantom power allows you to use the MicroMix with condenser mics

then it goes on to say.....

+36 volt, Phantom Power for the XLR input with Power On/Off button

But when you look at the picture of the ART, it has a button for on/off for Phantom Power....So that way it appears you get Phantom for all inputs..

Is XLR the only phantom power or not...dang confusing information...

Dan

BradJudy

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2005, 05:52 pm »
Dan,

I don't know since I don't own one.  Since I figured on connecting the ECM8000 mic via XLR I guess I wasn't worried.

DTB300

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2005, 05:55 pm »
Dan,

I don't know since I don't own one.  Since I figured on connecting the ECM8000 mic via XLR I guess I wasn't worried.

Does the ECM8000 have an XLR connection or 1/4"?  Never had a mic before other than the cheesy one's that come with some sound cards or headphones.

Dan

bubba966

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2005, 05:57 pm »

Mike,

Only the Facilitators can edit threads so that they're stickies. So you'll have to do it here.

BradJudy

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2005, 06:21 pm »
Quote from: DTB300

Does the ECM8000 have an XLR connection or 1/4"?  Never had a mic before other than the cheesy one's that come with some sound cards or headphones.

It has an XLR connector.

Mike Dzurko

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2005, 08:17 pm »
Quote from: bubba966

Mike,

Only the Facilitators can edit threads so that they're stickies. So you'll have to do it here.[/quote

Thanks Bubba, it's a done deal :)]

Mike Dzurko

R-DES and True Audio RTA
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2005, 11:41 am »
Yes, it has been a long wait, but we should be able to ship all backorders by the 19th or 20th, and fill new orders soon after that.

Remember, if you own an ACI sub, or order with an ACI sub, there is a very special price for you.