Taking the components apart and back together... which wire???

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Took everything apart. moved most of the stuff in the main rack around. And then had to stick all the wires back together. SUCCESS!
Did miss one thing. Stuck pair WBT RCA on, but not pushed in. I am lifting the component slightly to stick the footers back on... and sound cutting out??? Well yeah if the connectors are barely touching..
The main reason for taking it all apart was to stick butcher blocks in. I got some 22" wide 16" deep, same exact size as the glass shelf was, (yes glass. One reason to go for some wood..)
I am too cheap to buy a new rack! And to fit some stuff PLUS the 1 3/4" tall blocks... I needed to move it. Most of my gear is stacked at least two high. except the CJ ACT2. runs hot hot hot. It gets to hog the whole shelf. but now it is up on a nice Walnut butcher block.(I have to add a Mylar shield to the underside of the shelf above. hot.. Summer I just can't use it..)
I have to use a strong flashlight to see what is what. Tiny markings L and R.. etc. behind, half in the dark... LOL

Saturn94

I can relate.

I recently had to take everything apart to clear out the room for painters.  I meticulously labeled all the cables so I could put it back properly.  Yep, a flashlight and good reading glasses was a necessity.  :lol:  I swear there must be 5 miles of cables in my system!!

I got everything back together, powered up, and tried to play something from the streamer......no sound!  The pre/pro didn’t even indicate it was getting a signal.  It took me a bit to realize I had connecting everything but the streamer cable at the pre/pro!  :duh:

I now see the appeal of a minimalist, simple 2 channel system.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2019, 06:22 pm by Saturn94 »

PSB Guy

My wife and I just painted half the house, including the living room where my stereo is located. I'll be where you are in a few days. Ugh.

Cornelis

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
   Can be a nightmare but worth it. Every 3 months we remove ALL cabling and clean contacts. It takes three days for the sound to come back after cabling is moved.  :duh:
  After cleaning use of a demag disc does the trick. Happy cleaning, moving and listening to all. :thumb:

charles

twitch54

Can be a nightmare but worth it. Every 3 months we remove ALL cabling and clean contacts. It takes three days for the sound to come back after cabling is moved.  :duh:
  After cleaning use of a demag disc does the trick. Happy cleaning, moving and listening to all. :thumb:

charles

Wow Charles is your environment that humid / dusty that a 90 day cycle is required ? I've only done my ritual every 6-9 months.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Don't get carried away. A connector is only good for a limited number of insertions.  In a standards lab, the keep a log for each cable and replace the cable when it reaches the connection limit.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Speedskater makes a really good point!!

Googling connector insertion cycles etc just not finding the sort of charts with how many cycles..
XLR is the one I did find and across the board they seem to say 5000 cycles is the lifetime of an XLR.
Some typical computer external connectors are a few hundreds. And circuit board connectors are in the TEN range.
HDMI has to be down on the few dozen.. from my experience with those connectors. (whomever designed them" rot in hell for designing a flimsy POS easily broken...)

Anyway, anyone with a link to, or a chart of the insertions for typical Audio Jack (headphone) RCA and Edison plug (AC) just curious.

Added One plus for using Caig Gold etc is the lowering of insertion wear on the contact surfaces...
And one of the dirty little secrets of tube rolling is the damage caused by going crazy with the practice and damage to the sockets! Tube sockets are  like 100 insertions!

toocool4

I feel you Elizabeth, I hate moving things around such a chore but usually worth it when all done. Luckily for me I don’t have too many things to plug in and nothing stacked.
I just moved house 5 weeks ago, so everything had to be moved. 5 weeks later and I still trying to get the Hi-Fi setup properly it always takes me weeks to get everything sound the way I like it, when I first got in I plunked the Hi-Fi down so I can have some music while I unpacked and it sounded terrible. I am getting there slowly, still waiting for some more kit from GIK Acoustics to turn up for the room treatment.

See starting point pic and where I am at the moment.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
Wow Charles is your environment that humid / dusty that a 90 day cycle is required ? I've only done my ritual every 6-9 months.

Not at all just call me Felix Unger . I like clean. Gives me something to do as well.

charles

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
I just set up a little bedroom system in my new digs, TV and Blu-ray were already on a cheap press board stand, adding DAC, preamp, amp, and associated cabling.  A couple of hours and lots of swearing, cursing, and cutting of holes in the thin backing I was done.  Only to realize I didn't need the preamp.  I hadn't planned anything, just grabbed some equipment and cables from the closet then hooked stuff up, then saw nothing was analog.  Optical from the TV, SPDIF from the Blu-ray, USB from the laptop, and a volume control on the DAC.  So pull everything apart, preamp back in the closet.  The take away?  Cleanest, most pure and sweet sounds from a stereo I've heard in years.  Less is indeed more, and setting up our systems, even tiny ones, are a bitch.