M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction

Shakeydeal

Re: M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction
« Reply #260 on: 7 Dec 2019, 02:25 am »
Looks good. I love that finish. Congrats!

Shakey

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #261 on: 7 Dec 2019, 03:04 am »

Hello to all. Had the M3 turbo s and upgraded to the M5s. Speakers are about 9 feet apart and sitting 9 feet away. Toe in for now is roughly 30°.  Just hooked them up Wednesday so they need quite a bit of break in. If the initial performance is any indication —- WOW!  The top end is significantly better than the m3’s without being fatiguing or sibilant.  The bottom end is sufficient from where I sit.  Honestly i had  some remorse initially that I didn’t get the larger M3’s but they would have probably overwhelmed my room. To my ears they are a significant upgrade to the prior M3 turbos which were no slouch.  Congrats Clayton on a truly phenomenal product that needs to be heard to be believed.  I have no desire to upgrade again ( until Clayton comes up with something better ). Also a more customer friendly person you will not find anywhere.  If anyone is on the fence  don’t hesitate to purchase or upgrade. You won’t be disappointed!

Looks really nice.  Thanks for sharing pics.  I will say that if you play them a lot in a few days you notice a significant break-in with that woofer.  You will get fuller bass.

Jprod

« Reply #262 on: 7 Dec 2019, 03:35 am »
Thanks.  Yes The walnut finish looks great in my room. Inc toe in some more and bass is fuller.  House is empty tonight so I have been cranking Metallica! That should break in those woofers !

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #263 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:14 am »
Thanks.  Yes The walnut finish looks great in my room. Inc toe in some more and bass is fuller.  House is empty tonight so I have been cranking Metallica! That should break in those woofers !

Your bass may be fuller by reducing phase cancellation from rear reflections from your toe in.  My acoustic panels behind the speakers are making the bass fuller as well.  Thinking of getting another couple of panels (bass traps in this case) from ATS that actually absorb below 100hz but remain reflective in the higher frequencies.  Then I would put the current 2" panels on the wall that is about 2' behind my head and see if there is any benefit there.  If not I will move them to the home theater room as that room is currently too reflective.

Jprod

« Reply #264 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:21 am »
Thanks.  I have been contemplating adding bass traps as well.  I’m going to break these in for a bit and let them settle.  Then bass traps.  I have 2 in my home theater room that I could always move temporarily

mreeter

« Reply #265 on: 7 Dec 2019, 03:09 pm »
Jprod, You have very nice place to enjoy your Music, has a warm, comfortable feel to it. Do I see a VPI Prime in the rack coupled to a PSA Phono Pre? What is the associated gear if you don't mind me asking?

jazzman463

« Reply #266 on: 7 Dec 2019, 06:35 pm »
I am drooling. They look beautiful. Hopping mine ship next week. I did the walnut with a gray stain. Thanks for the pictures.

Jprod

« Reply #267 on: 7 Dec 2019, 07:02 pm »
Thanks!   It’s my decompression room. It’s quiet comfortable and nicely decorated by my wife.  That’s part of the reason I didn’t push for the large M3’s.  Room is actually quite long. Behind the couch is a foosball table and a full bar area behind that. I only sit and listen critically down there on the couch. 
Gear is as follows
VPI prime with Ortofon 2 m black, vpi sds speed controller, ps Audio stellar phono pre , bel canto eone stream , wyred4sound stpse preamp , parasound a21 amp. Interconnect  cabling is by audio sensibility and speaker wire is clear day Audio double shotgun silver cable ( RIP Paul Laudati.  Another true gem in the audio industry) .  All plugged into an audioquest niagra 1200. 

The stellar pre is unbelievable.  Had a Manley chinook prior to this and it is a significant upgrade.  More detail and 3d. Best audio purchase next to spatial audio gear.

mreeter

« Reply #268 on: 7 Dec 2019, 07:27 pm »
Thanks!   It’s my decompression room. It’s quiet comfortable and nicely decorated by my wife.  That’s part of the reason I didn’t push for the large M3’s.  Room is actually quite long. Behind the couch is a foosball table and a full bar area behind that. I only sit and listen critically down there on the couch. 
Gear is as follows
VPI prime with Ortofon 2 m black, vpi sds speed controller, ps Audio stellar phono pre , bel canto eone stream , wyred4sound stpse preamp , parasound a21 amp. Interconnect  cabling is by audio sensibility and speaker wire is clear day Audio double shotgun silver cable ( RIP Paul Laudati.  Another true gem in the audio industry) .  All plugged into an audioquest niagra 1200. 

The stellar pre is unbelievable.  Had a Manley chinook prior to this and it is a significant upgrade.  More detail and 3d. Best audio purchase next to spatial audio gear.

Nice line-up of the Cast of Characters :wink: I would imagine the A-21 is driving the Spatials with ease :thumb:

Jprod

« Reply #269 on: 7 Dec 2019, 07:30 pm »
Doesn’t break a sweat

timing3435

M3 Sapphires are on the way
« Reply #270 on: 11 Dec 2019, 07:24 pm »
My M3 Sapphire's are on the way...In Kansas City now headed to Florida.  I cannot wait to get them going. Clayton has been great, as everyone has said, to work with.  A man dedicated to his passion.
 I have a pair of old DCM TimeFrame 1000's to replace. Will keep everyone posted. I am not capable of the in-depth reviews I have seen on these threads but I will give you my best attempts. Regardless, the  DCM TimeFrame 1000's and the Buchardt S400's Special Editions have given me great pleasure. Currently running the S400's. Very good bookshelf speakers and highly regarded at its price point.
 I bought M3 Sapphires based on hearing Youtube videos of the old M3's and said why not. Take a listen to this and look at Clayton's grin after the music. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZnJC6Zwe0&t=842s ) I put my monies down based on this video, talking to Clayton, not wanting to wait in case the CAF caused a big backorder. How can you lose with a 60-day trial?  I then heard them at CAF and meet Clayton. No going back.  I was very impressed and thought the sound in that room was better than 99% at the show. Nothing came close at the $4200 point. This was later confirmed by written reviews.  So it is now my turn, much to be grateful for. 

Shakeydeal

« Reply #271 on: 11 Dec 2019, 07:32 pm »
DCM, ahh that brings back memories.

I had a pair of TF400s back in the late 80s. Bought 'em at Circuit City. They were pretty good for the size and what they cost. I enjoyed them for several years.

Shakey

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #272 on: 11 Dec 2019, 08:25 pm »
Noting the similarities in speaker tastes here.  I had DCM QEDs and Time Windows. Some friends in Florida still have the Time Windows.  Now I have M3TMs and X5s on order.

jazzman463

« Reply #273 on: 12 Dec 2019, 01:06 pm »
Hey Timing 3435 and Glynnw, were in Florida are you located ? I am in South West... Naples. By the way my M5's will replace a pair of beautiful of Spica TC 50's. I recently liquidated my vintage stuff ( getting old) which included two pair of DCM Time windows. My living room system has a pair of Usher 6371's, seems we all have an attraction to some form of time manipulation/delay.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #274 on: 12 Dec 2019, 05:05 pm »
I lived in the Tampa area when I was there.  And to further the old speaker owning data, I have owned Spica TC-50s, TC-60s and a pair od the subs.

jazzman463

« Reply #275 on: 13 Dec 2019, 01:35 pm »
YA HOOO, I just received my bill of landing. Nuff said.

Jprod

« Reply #276 on: 13 Dec 2019, 04:22 pm »
Can someone explain to me why the m5 and m3 on the specs both say 32 hz? Shouldn’t the m3 be lower with the 2 woofers Or is the m3 just more impactful on the low end down to the same frequency?

Spatial Audio

« Reply #277 on: 13 Dec 2019, 04:44 pm »
Can someone explain to me why the m5 and m3 on the specs both say 32 hz? Shouldn’t the m3 be lower with the 2 woofers Or is the m3 just more impactful on the low end down to the same frequency?

The M3 and M5 Sapphire both being rated to 32Hz is correct. Since the 2 woofers are identical, there is an amplitude lift on the M3 (in parallel below 90Hz) over the single woofer of the M5, but the bass cutoff point is the same.

Clayton

cordobaman

« Reply #278 on: 13 Dec 2019, 05:02 pm »
The M3 and M5 Sapphire both being rated to 32Hz is correct. Since the 2 woofers are identical, there is an amplitude lift on the M3 (in parallel below 90Hz) over the single woofer of the M5, but the bass cutoff point is the same.

Clayton

The "in parallel below 90Hz" statement has me curious. 
With the tweeters being full range down < 500 Hz, at what frequency are the woofers crossed at? 

And I find it amazing that so much information is designed to come out of one tweeter/driver!

Spatial Audio

« Reply #279 on: 13 Dec 2019, 05:17 pm »
The "in parallel below 90Hz" statement has me curious. 
With the tweeters being full range down < 500 Hz, at what frequency are the woofers crossed at? 

And I find it amazing that so much information is designed to come out of one tweeter/driver!

The upper woofer rolls out at 576Hz, while the lower woofer rolls out at 90Hz. So, it is a 2 1/2 way system design.

Clayton