Can Power Cords Improve the Sound of Amps?

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: Can Power Cords Improve the Sound of Amps?
« Reply #100 on: 11 Jul 2019, 11:40 am »
Like ghosts.....just cause you aint seen one, doesnt mean they dont exist..... :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #101 on: 11 Jul 2019, 12:41 pm »
I wonder ...

... if you added up all the pages devoted to the argument that cables matter and divide that number by the amount of people whose opinion was changed by reading these arguments, I bet the result would be "infinity"

1,000,000 / 0 = infinity

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #102 on: 11 Jul 2019, 01:42 pm »
I wonder ...

... if you added up all the pages devoted to the argument that cables matter and divide that number by the amount of people whose opinion was changed by reading these arguments, I bet the result would be "infinity"

1,000,000 / 0 = infinity

I have to agree. In all the years and hundreds of threads, thousands of posts, across dozens of websites... the number of folks who wrote they changed their mind due to something written is ZERO.
The only comments I have ever read of 'changing mind' is about actually trying some cable and discovering they can hear the difference. And none of them was because they 'read' something.

S Clark

• Volunteer
  • measurement? We don't need no stinkin measurement
« Reply #103 on: 11 Jul 2019, 02:16 pm »
I have to agree. In all the years and hundreds of threads, thousands of posts, across dozens of websites... the number of folks who wrote they changed their mind due to something written is ZERO.
The only comments I have ever read of 'changing mind' is about actually trying some cable and discovering they can hear the difference. And none of them was because they 'read' something.
And since this thread started, the OP has tried his cables on Cherry amps and found improvement over stock.  So he has answered his own question in the only real way possible... with his own ears. 

Steve

« Reply #104 on: 11 Jul 2019, 06:40 pm »
I believe I have read two individual's/posts on this string who stated they did not believe sonic
changes occurred until they had tried changing cords (or ics), and then changed their minds.
Might double check me though. Still, a super small number.

There are two differences presented in this string that might help change perceptions.
The first is that real science/engineering was presented that proved signal current mixing does occur,
thus sonic changes could occur, and
secondly, that some false scientific claims/conclusions, from whatever source, were the result of not
presenting or understanding all the science on the subject.

With that said, there are conditions that would minimize the ability to perceive changes, so not everyone
will perceive sonic changes, component quality, and venue just to name a couple.

cheers
steve

witchdoctor

« Reply #105 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:02 pm »
In my case I went from a stock power cord to a $40 cord to a $250 cord to a $1000 cord. Every step I was a happy customer and found value. So far the $1000 cord has not been beat no matter how much I spent and every cable I audition has a free trial so I didn't get burned.

Tyson

« Reply #106 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:12 pm »
In some ways I envy the people that can't hear a difference.  In my experience, to hear many of these types of differences you have to train yourself re: what to listen for.  But that's a double edged sword, because once you're sensitized to it, it's really hard to "unhear" or ignore it.  :(

Freo-1

« Reply #107 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:26 pm »
In some ways I envy the people that can't hear a difference.  In my experience, to hear many of these types of differences you have to train yourself re: what to listen for.  But that's a double edged sword, because once you're sensitized to it, it's really hard to "unhear" or ignore it.  :(

It could also be argued that if a power cord is perceived to make a difference, then the gear in question may have a sub-optimal power distribution design.  Manufactures such as Papa Pass has stated that his gear is designed such that a standard power cord is sufficient to use with his gear.  I seriously doubt he or other  top quality manufactures would skimp on this. 

Several amps I've owned over the years had already came with high dollar aftermarket power cords.  I tried hospital grade generic power cords with the amps, and could not detect any discernable difference. 

What does make a discernable difference is better design electronics.  There is a strong reason equipment from manufactures such as Devialet get universally rave reviews.  They earn these reviews with generic power cords as well. 
I don't care how much one spends on a power cord, it is not going to improve the SNR and distortion measurements to anywhere near what a Devialet 400/440 Pro with it's generic power cords provide.  Those differences can readily and easily be heard, as opposed to spending big $$ on a so called magic power cord. 

sumoking

« Reply #108 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:31 pm »
In my case I went from a stock power cord to a $40 cord to a $250 cord to a $1000 cord. Every step I was a happy customer and found value. So far the $1000 cord has not been beat no matter how much I spent and every cable I audition has a free trial so I didn't get burned.

You might be surprised by a $169 power cord from Audio Envy.
You might be thinking some voodoo is going on, but this cord is really special
Regardless of price.
Cheers!

Freo-1

« Reply #109 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:36 pm »
Regardless of price.
Cheers!

Well,, it's certainly not thousands of dollars like some of them.   :D   Glad to hear you are happy with it.

Any hospital grade IEC power cord should work just fine if one really wants to upgrade the cord and not spend big $$$$.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #110 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:40 pm »
Regardless of price.
Cheers!

Are you referring to this particular one?

http://audioenvy.com/product/power-cord/5732/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #111 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:52 pm »
Regardless of price.
Cheers!

Very surprised.

charles

sumoking

« Reply #112 on: 11 Jul 2019, 08:02 pm »
Correct. I have also tried the recommended approach the Captain lays out in the below model
and was impressed.

Also have his interconnects and speakers cables.
If there is something better at these price points let me know.
I had some anti-cables in my system and these cables quickly replaced them.
Pretty sure he has a fair return policy.

dflee

• What's this we shit kemosahbee?
« Reply #113 on: 11 Jul 2019, 08:07 pm »
"There is a strong reason equipment from manufactures such as Devialet get universally rave reviews.  They earn these reviews with generic power cords as well."

Generic or Devialet Stock cord. I can't imagine a five figure piece of equipment having the same stock cord as a two hundred dollar piece of equipment. But then again I haven't compared.
I just purchased an amplifier and was ready to send it back cause while having a lot more watts, it wasn't sounding as detailed as I was hoping. While it was under two grand, I was disappointed. I installed an aftermarket and was astounded.
Now you might say it was in my head and quess what, it was. Right between the ears. Ya see I have a deficiency in my hearing and while you have to train to hear differences, with me it is a matter of actually understanding what I'm hearing or not. Things sound muddy or muffled tells me it ain't right and somethings got to change. The cord made all the difference in this case as attested to with my wife making an unsolicited comment concerning improvement (she rarely does). I also put the stock back in to confirm my feeling and preferred the aftermarket.
And you can also call me an anomaly in the fact that due to reading in AC about cables has led me to further investigate and try aftermarket cords.

Don

witchdoctor

« Reply #114 on: 11 Jul 2019, 08:29 pm »
Regardless of price.
Cheers!

I know technology continues to march on and generally better, faster and cheaper is the way of things.
I will check them out, thanks.

It's interesting with power, I find less is more. In other words you become sensitized to a given level of noise in your system as being "normal". With a good power component I find the noise floor lowers and suddenly I am hearing things I wasn't aware of before. Nothing changed in terms of volume or tone, you just hear edges of notes you couldn't hear before because of the noise you weren't even aware of. I love it when that happens.

sumoking

« Reply #115 on: 11 Jul 2019, 10:07 pm »
I know technology continues to march on and generally better, faster and cheaper is the way of things.
I will check them out, thanks.

It's interesting with power, I find less is more. In other words you become sensitized to a given level of noise in your system as being "normal". With a good power component I find the noise floor lowers and suddenly I am hearing things I wasn't aware of before. Nothing changed in terms of volume or tone, you just hear edges of notes you couldn't hear before because of the noise you weren't even aware of. I love it when that happens.

Agreed that the noise floor drops.  In addition, the timbre of the instruments (tone) noticeably improved. Give the Captain (that's his name) a call and ask about the ungrounded version. Yikes!

Freo-1

« Reply #116 on: 11 Jul 2019, 10:15 pm »
"There is a strong reason equipment from manufactures such as Devialet get universally rave reviews.  They earn these reviews with generic power cords as well."

Generic or Devialet Stock cord. I can't imagine a five figure piece of equipment having the same stock cord as a two hundred dollar piece of equipment. But then again I haven't compared.
I just purchased an amplifier and was ready to send it back cause while having a lot more watts, it wasn't sounding as detailed as I was hoping. While it was under two grand, I was disappointed. I installed an aftermarket and was astounded.
Now you might say it was in my head and quess what, it was. Right between the ears. Ya see I have a deficiency in my hearing and while you have to train to hear differences, with me it is a matter of actually understanding what I'm hearing or not. Things sound muddy or muffled tells me it ain't right and somethings got to change. The cord made all the difference in this case as attested to with my wife making an unsolicited comment concerning improvement (she rarely does). I also put the stock back in to confirm my feeling and preferred the aftermarket.
And you can also call me an anomaly in the fact that due to reading in AC about cables has led me to further investigate and try aftermarket cords.

Don

Let me try to better clarify this.  When I was restoring Threshold amps, I would replace the old generic cord with a decent hospital grade cord, mostly to get a better ground/shield.  And yeas, replacing those cords with a decent hospital grade cord seems to help some.  It certainly wasn't night and day, but it does help.  These power cords were just off the shelf hospital grade, very reasonably priced, and well made. 

The issue I'm discussing is spending high dollars on power cords, thinking those will help.  They don't.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #117 on: 11 Jul 2019, 10:28 pm »
Like ghosts.....just cause you aint seen one, doesnt mean they dont exist..... :thumb:
In many ways I envy you if you can't hear them. I see and hear them all the time, not by circular reasoning - I've trained myself to use Spotify and Qobuz.

Early B.

« Reply #118 on: 11 Jul 2019, 10:30 pm »

The issue I'm discussing is spending high dollars on power cords, thinking those will help.  They don't.

High dollar power cords don't help YOU. However, you must acknowledge that high end power cords benefit a lot of other audiophiles. The countless speculations for why and how power cords improve the sound are entirely irrelevant. You (and everyone else) simply don't know the answer. And that's OK. 

Freo-1

« Reply #119 on: 11 Jul 2019, 10:43 pm »
High dollar power cords don't help YOU. However, you must acknowledge that high end power cords benefit a lot of other audiophiles. The countless speculations for why and how power cords improve the sound are entirely irrelevant. You (and everyone else) simply don't know the answer. And that's OK.

The measurements simply do not support this.  Equipment manufactures say that the cords they provide are sufficient.       

Any benefit is most likely psychoacoustic in nature.  I will say that older equipment could possibly benefit slightly from a decent hospital grade cord. 

If it makes folks feel better, OK.