DAC/Streamers

CanadianMaestro

• Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: DAC/Streamers
« Reply #60 on: 30 Aug 2019, 01:18 pm »
Methinks that people who own the Bryston separates (player + DAC) and use an updated version of Moose will not need to update, as they will already have streaming capabilities.

Still, this new product looks like a very nice "entry" for newbies who want a taste of the Bryston house sound without breaking the bank on separates. Also may be suited for a more compact second system in the home or office.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 30 Aug 2019, 03:07 pm »
Hello James, is it possible to update BDA3 to this? how much will it be the cost in case?

Hi Grant

No sorry the BDA3.14 has a totally different chassis and connection points - also I do not think you would want to if you already have the BDA3 and BDP-3.

james

Grant Hill

« Reply #62 on: 30 Aug 2019, 04:05 pm »
ok thanks James - I have not the BP3 (still)  :D

soundmax

« Reply #63 on: 30 Aug 2019, 04:24 pm »
Hi James,

Does bda 3.14 have the new Raspberry PI 4 inside?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 30 Aug 2019, 06:38 pm »
Hi James,

Does bda 3.14 have the new Raspberry PI 4 inside?

HI

No it uses the 3 for now. The PI is a separate board so it would be easy to replace it going forward if the performance warranted it.

james

vakavanha

« Reply #65 on: 31 Aug 2019, 08:32 am »
What are the max resolutions thru ethernet like using Roon?

schmidtmike76

« Reply #66 on: 31 Aug 2019, 01:31 pm »
HI

No it uses the 3 for now. The PI is a separate board so it would be easy to replace it going forward if the performance warranted it.

james
this is where I respect the Bryston approach only if it warranted it.  James, thank you for the honest approach while still expanding you’re catalog. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 31 Aug 2019, 02:43 pm »
What are the max resolutions thru ethernet like using Roon?

Hi

192/24

james

gdbalp

« Reply #68 on: 31 Aug 2019, 07:24 pm »
Hi James,

Very excited about this new product offering... :thumb:

A have a few questions:
1) Same DAC chips as in the BDA-3?
2) With an internal CPU, can a hard drive be installed?
3) Can the display be seen on an external attached monitor?  Great if it was interactive too...
4) I2S, same as PS Audio format?  Can outsource the I2S to external DAC?
5) "Bryston’s ultra-precise re-clocking circuit reduces jitter to nearly unmeasurable levels" - What does this mean vs. BDA-3?
6) With this CPU, there would be three separate power supplies inside this unit?
7) Why call it BDA-3.14, should it be something new like BDPA-1  (PLAYER/DAC combined)

And the tough question; Does it sound better than the BDA-3 and BDP-3 combination?

Regards,
Luigi

Stu Pitt

« Reply #69 on: 31 Aug 2019, 10:11 pm »
My reservation in single chassis digital sources such as these is obsolescence. Digital formats/codecs/whatever they’re called come and go seemingly quickly. DVD-A, HDCD, SACD, DSD, MQA... what’s next? Having everything in one box typically means getting rid of the whole box, including the stuff that’s not obsolete.

If the boards are changeable/upgradable as James said, then that changes my view on it. I always think of my father’s old receiver with built-in 8-track. The amplification was fine for quite some time after 8-track was a distant and funny memory. I was contemplating the original Naim Uniti when it came out. It had CD, streamer, DAC, etc. built into it. Having stuff in one box that will go obsolete sooner or later is a big part of why I went with the B60 instead. Not the only reason, but definitely a major one.

I like to keep digital sources as separate as possible. If it’s upgradable, and for a price that’s makes it worth it not to throw the whole thing out, then that changes my view.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #70 on: 9 Sep 2019, 02:05 am »
Hi Grant

No sorry the BDA3.14 has a totally different chassis and connection points - also I do not think you would want to if you already have the BDA3 and BDP-3.

james

Hi James

Have you, or anyone at bryston tried an A/B test with the new BDA3.14  vs.   BDP3>BDA3 setup?

cheers, TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 9 Sep 2019, 11:18 am »
Hi James

Have you, or anyone at bryston tried an A/B test with the new BDA3.14  vs.   BDP3>BDA3 setup?

cheers, TJ

Hi TJ

I have not yet done the comparison as there is only one 3.14 in existence and Gary has that one at the show.

That being said there were 2 major reasons we developed the BDA3.14.

1. I wanted a lower price point for those customers wanting to purchase a Bryston ...  Preamp and Streamer and DAC.

2. There seems to be a going market now for integrated components over separates.

Technically and feature wise the separate BP17/BDA3/BDP3 have superior measured performance.  Whether that translates to the listening experience will be interesting to see.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bauer, Stan Rybb, John Stoneborough
« Reply #72 on: 9 Sep 2019, 07:24 pm »

...exciting times, James :thumb:.
makes me really curious what's next in the Bryston lineup talking about integrated components :drool: :drool:

i always knew you guys can do it!

al.

mav52

« Reply #73 on: 11 Sep 2019, 02:28 pm »
Hi

Yes the higher bit rate DAC's allow for much better signal to noise if using a digital control. 

The Volume control can be turned on and off if using a preamp.

james

How will the volume be controlled, remote or front panel  or do you have to use a pre-amp

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 11 Sep 2019, 07:27 pm »
How will the volume be controlled, remote or front panel  or do you have to use a pre-amp

Hi mav

You have the choice - the remote GUI for volume so you are using the Pi as a preamp as well or you can connect the 3.14 to your preamp.

james

mav52

« Reply #75 on: 12 Sep 2019, 10:23 pm »
Thanks James