The Daedalus DA-1 are HERE

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 2 Feb 2005, 12:16 am »
After just getting of the phone with Lou of Daedalus speakers. It looks like we should have our DA-1s with the next 2-3 weeks.

For all of you in the North East who have been awaiting an audition of these speakers, please feel free to contact me to arrange an audition. I will need about a week of solid break-in and will then start scheduling these auditions.

Please feel free to bring along your amplification of choice. I will obviously have several types of [tube] amplification and will have decided on the following main components to start things off:

**Modified Ming-Da 805 SET 40 watt integrated amplifier converted in a power amp. (Primary amplifier)
 ** Jolida JD300B 8 watt SET integrated
 **ModWright SWL 9.0 and Reference Ming-Da MC-3 tube preamps. (The ModWright SWL 9.0 will be the primary piece)
 ** Our Custom JD100 CD player using VH Audio OIMP output stage capacitors.

http://www.responseaudio.com/daedalusAudio.htm

Richard Schafer

« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2005, 09:09 pm »
I can see you now, biting at the bit to get that second speaker from Fedex.  When the Fedex guy delivered my SR-823's, he forgot to leave the second one because his truck was so full during the holidays.  He stopped by about an hour later saying, "Woops", delivering the second one.  Whew, that was stressfull.  Anyway, happy listening!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2005, 12:10 am »
Hi Richard,
  Welcome to the Circle. I read your post on the pro series Daedalus and actually considering picking up a pair of these also for different reasons. One being that I want to teach myself the guitar. I have a nice acoustic piece now and looking into an electric. I am not interested in starting a band or even playing in one but I would like to think the guitar is a relaxing way to end a day. I'm a big Jazz and Blues fan and have quite a bit of sheet music on hand.
 I started teaching myself some time ago but only picked up a quitar for a week and got as far as Jingle Bells (It was Christmas time). I haven't had it out of the case since then due to time.
 Not that I have a lot of time now but I am determined to teach myself and develop my own technique. We'll see how it goes.
  Thanks for taking the time to post your finding on the Daedalus. All Lou's work is truly a work of art.
 Happy Listening!!!!

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2005, 12:13 am »
How do you like that Ming Da 805 compared to some of your other tube amps?  That is a very interesting amp IMHO, because it offers real world power with a SET topology.  Does the 805 run on lower voltages than say a 300B, 845 or other SET type tubes?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2005, 01:42 am »
How do you like that Ming Da 805 compared to some of your other tube amps? That is a very interesting amp IMHO, because it offers real world power with a SET topology. Does the 805 run on lower voltages than say a 300B, 845 or other SET type tubes?

As I have mentioned in the past, I am a big fan of the big triodes. Very effortless triode power. As far as voltages, the plate current on the 805 is greater than 1000V (yes, 1k V). In the picture below, you will see the 805 Ming-Da as well as my custom modified Statement Jolida JD3000A using the 211 tube, also over 1000 volts at the plates.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2005, 01:47 am »
How would you describe the difference in sound vs. say the Extreme Monsoons?  1kV ouch!  deadly in fact.  Somehow I tought the plate voltage was lower for 805s than normal SETs.  Shows you how little I know.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2005, 01:53 am »
I would not not put these two products in the same catagory. You are looking at KT88s in push pull vs. 805 triodes. The 805 has a warm seductive, melt in your chair experience. The KT88 is..........well, we all know what these are about.
 Apples and oranges. Personal preferences.

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2005, 02:13 am »
So what is the difference between the apple and the orange then?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2005, 02:56 am »
Oranges give me heartburn. But seriously......
 The 805, 845 and 211 type tubes are unique in characteristics. I don't even know how to put it into words but here is a go at it.

The big triodes provide a full bodied, smooth yet dynamic sound. They are not bloated nor are they dry and analytical. I guess you could say they offer unique sense of texture. The midrange quality of these tubes will make you melt in your chair. Seduction. They offer much more "drive" per watt than most any other tube type. On average, the 845 will provide about 20 watts, the 805 about 40 watts and the 211s in push-pull such as in the Jolida 3000s produce 150-200 watts. My personal favorite is the 805 with the 845 a close second.

For high power tube amps, I personally prefer the ASL Hurricanes. I have heard a lot of high powered tube amplifiers and none have compared to the canes in this price range. Are there better, absolutely but at a cost. The Monsoons are similar in presentation to the Canes but different. I will be custom building myself a pair here shortly to have around but with my new 300B mono blocs due to be released soon, I don't know for sure how soon the Monsoons will come into the picture.

In regard to the big triodes vs 300B SETs,  I am a fan of both but obviosly have there own applications. I hope to have my new Musica Bella 25 watt push-pull 300B mono blocs driving the Daedalus by the end of March. :mrgreen:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2005, 03:01 am »
By the way, here is the front end of the system. Modwright SWL 9.0 linetage, Upgraded Jolida JD402 tube tuner and our Jolida "Custom" JD100 player using both the Oil and Teflon V-Cap capacitors in the output stage.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2005, 03:12 am »
Bill,
    Is that an Usher wood rack ? Thanks ! :) [/list:u]

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2005, 04:37 am »
Yes,
  That is the Usher Solid Birch rack. I think I have a few shelves out of it at the moment (the 805 amp on the floor is sitting on one of the shelves).

rosconey

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2005, 10:29 am »
did fedex bring the missing speaker yet :?:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2005, 01:28 pm »
Nope. According to Fed. Ex. tracking as of 8:30 this morning, it is on the truck for delivery today :?
 I'll report back in a few hours. Now I just hope it survived the trip. Their site mentions the bar code label was destroyed beyond the point of reading :?:  Does this mean the box has gone through hell?? Also, if they couldn't read the label, how could they know its destination is to put a new label on. I don't understand the excuses these carriers come up with.
 I also had several Usher 520 speakers ordered, half the shipment showed up Wednesday and the other half yesterday. I don't get it.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2005, 09:23 pm »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2005, 12:59 pm »
Very nice Bill !! Glad to see the 2nd. speaker arrived....in fine shape (looks that way). Any closeup shots of the finish ? Thanks !!  :D

rosconey

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2005, 01:28 pm »
DO THE SPEAKERS SHOW ANY SEPERATION ANXIETY-
oops forgot caps lock :lol:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2005, 01:28 pm »
YES, I just posted new pictures on my site.

Check out the Daedalus page and the "New York Showroom-Details" pages for more pics.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2005, 01:34 pm »
DO THE SPEAKERS SHOW ANY SEPERATION ANXIETY

Yes, actually they did. The right speaker was lonely for a while but felt safe in the nice warm room while the left speaker was MIA. When the left speaker showed up, it had a bit of an attitude. After being in a 24 degree Fed. Ex. truck for 8 hours, she was a bit withdrawn for the first few hours. After a few hours of warming up and knowing she was back with her mate, she started to open up and become more friendly. She was slightly abused in here travels with a small amount of splintering on her top but nothing critical.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 26 Feb 2005, 01:47 pm »
Quote from: Response Audio
DO THE SPEAKERS SHOW ANY SEPERATION ANXIETY

Yes, actually they did. The right speaker was lonely for a while but felt safe in the nice warm room while the left speaker was MIA. When the left speaker showed up, it had a bit of an attitude. After being in a 24 degree Fed. Ex. truck for 8 hours, she was a bit withdrawn for the first few hours. After a few hours of warming up and knowing she was back with her mate, she started to open up and become more friendly. She was slightly abused in here travels with a small amount of splintering on her top but nothing critical.
Well their happy and safe together now.... :lol:
    Time to change the title of this thread.... "The Daedalus DA-1 Are Here ! "[/list:u]