Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifiers - Discussion

hagtech

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.hagtech.com
Re: Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifiers - Discussion
« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2019, 05:09 am »
Lately I've been using HD600, DT990PRO, SR125e, and Sundara... 

The OTL amps were of my own design; prototypes being tested in the lab.  I don't recall a lot of specifics, as this was 2007, when I ended up selecting an OPT circuit instead, using a 6H30.  Great tube for the job! 

The problem I mention is specific to cathode follower type circuits.  Don't get me wrong, I use them all the time.  Every one of my tube phonostage designs employs one!  I loved the SRPP in my linestage too.  But you have to be careful, as they do tend to go unstable if not operated properly.  Hence, my lengthy diatribe.  Some designs will be better implemented than others.

If you want to see / hear what I am talking about, put a capacitor (say 0.001uF) on the output of your OTL amplifier.  It will be an exaggerated condition, but useful to demonstrate what happens with difficult loads or a marginally stable circuit design.

jh

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #21 on: 18 Sep 2019, 11:39 am »
jh,

Interesting....and thanks....I will try the cap experiment when I get the time.

Alex

wushuliu

• “Forget it, Jake. It’s Internet-town.”
« Reply #22 on: 19 Sep 2019, 08:15 pm »
Surprised you haven't tried the Project Sunrise III/Harmony amps. My Sunrise has been up and running for about a month or so and am very impressed. I have a bunch of 12bh7s laying around so I figured it would be a good fit without having to spend money tube rolling. Stock it sounds very good but I did my own little tweaks and parts selection. Depending on the tube the presentation is similar to the T2, APPJ PA1502A, or Asgard 3, even in between. I consider it better than all 3. Currently using EH 12bh7 which seems to have lower noise and better linearity than my NOS versions and the stock 12AU7 it comes with. Some great guitar crunch and drive. ZZ Top never sounded better!

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 19 Sep 2019, 08:26 pm »
Ha!

I have looked at this but it never went anywhere!! Well after I heal up spending $999 on Focal's I will have to revisit this one!!

Always room for another amp or two!

Thanks for the info, better than all three!! Thats a strong testimony for sure....

I think you like it!

Alex

:lol:

Unison845

« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2019, 03:29 am »
My DHT 845 tube amplifier, for driving the STAX Electrostatic Headphones.

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2019, 12:46 pm »
Gosh thats a beautiful site!!

All those tubes!!!

Big Smile here!!

Alex

jawks

« Reply #26 on: 27 Sep 2019, 03:02 pm »
I've owned a Decware CSP2 for about 5 years now.  I bought it used for the original owner and use it mainly with my vinyl setup, which is also tube amp driven.  I unfortunately haven't done as much listening to vinyl on headphones lately, but I hope to change this in the weeks to come.  I really like the CSP2 and it functions nicely as a preamp, too. 

Albert