Morning Coffee - Discussion

adydula

• Facilitator
Re: Morning Coffee - Discussion
« Reply #60 on: 25 Sep 2019, 07:21 pm »
Its not about is it her best work, thats an opinion and we all have them for sure  :D

Its that this particular CD was recorded and mastered as about as good as it gets.

I have several of her cd's and I dont like some of the material at all, but this CD is very well recorded and mastered and she had a profound influence on its contents and the quality of recording.

Its just a great CD to challenge your system and check the tonality and musicality of your system...

When I heard it for the first time at a local audio dealer,,,it blew me away ...

Thats all...

8)

Alex

mresseguie

• Volunteer
  • D Sachs amp/pre + Daedalus Audio Speakers = HEAVEN
« Reply #61 on: 26 Sep 2019, 06:28 am »
I listened to most of it this afternoon via TIDAL - on my MacBook Pro.  :duh: I'm not home right now, and my MB Pro is what I've got until I'm back in my listening room. Anyway, some of the music sounded okay. I'm intrigued enough by some of the tracks to give the CD a serious listen when I'm home.

Thanks, Alex.

Michael

MttBsh

« Reply #62 on: 26 Sep 2019, 03:40 pm »
I bought "Verse" years ago and was so turned off by the pseudo-sophisticated, pretentious lyrics that I didn't even bother to notice the CD's sound quality. I tossed it.
That was my experience with Patricia Barber until I heard A Fortnight in France at a friend's house - I was blown away. That is now my reference disc for sound quality. Norwegian Wood and White World have long instrumental breaks featuring virtuosic guitar, bass, drum and piano solos that sound like live instruments in my room. Modern Cool and A Distortion of Love are also reference quality CDs by her that I really love.

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #63 on: 26 Sep 2019, 03:45 pm »
MttBsh..

I felt that way at first as well and feel this way on some other articts etc...

Even when the salesperson asked me what I wanted to listen and I said "some good Jazz he came out with
this CD VERSE....I shrugged and said to myself, "great"....

But at the first note, it was holy crap! This is a very well done CD.

I ordered it when I got home. I also have Fornight and its great as well....

Its the uncanny songs, and the absloutely wonderful recording that blows me away...

Its not modern pop, but theres a lot to learn by listening to this CD as far as how good redbook 44.1 recording can be....

Glad u enjoy!

Alex

MttBsh

« Reply #64 on: 26 Sep 2019, 04:40 pm »
MttBsh..

I felt that way at first as well and feel this way on some other articts etc...

Even when the salesperson asked me what I wanted to listen and I said "some good Jazz he came out with
this CD VERSE....I shrugged and said to myself, "great"....

But at the first note, it was holy crap! This is a very well done CD.

I ordered it when I got home. I also have Fornight and its great as well....

Its the uncanny songs, and the absloutely wonderful recording that blows me away...

Its not modern pop, but theres a lot to learn by listening to this CD as far as how good redbook 44.1 recording can be....

Glad u enjoy!

Alex

Now that I'm a Patricia Barber fan I'll give Verse another listen - thanks Alex.

Tyson

« Reply #65 on: 26 Sep 2019, 04:45 pm »
This morning I switched back from cold brew to the Aeropress coffee method.  Ah, I missed the rich, robustness that the Aeropress brings to the table.  Don't get me wrong, I love cold brew for it's incredible smoothness and the fact that it's never, ever bitter. 

Listening to some new hirez released on Qobuz to celebrate. 

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 26 Sep 2019, 07:30 pm »
Good Morning late!

Schitt has a B stock sale on Magni3's for $79.

Had to order one!

Alex

Tyson

« Reply #67 on: 27 Sep 2019, 02:57 pm »
Having a bit of Costa Rican medium roast from Sprouts, listening to a lovely bit of Haydn on Qobuz. 

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 27 Sep 2019, 09:31 pm »
Hey Tyson!

That sounds really nice!!

..as well as the music!

Drinking a cup of Peets Major Dickerson's...

Mellow and bold...

Alex

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 28 Sep 2019, 02:45 pm »
Schitt Magni 3 is on its way, be here next Thursday!!

Alex

Tyson

« Reply #70 on: 28 Sep 2019, 04:49 pm »
I found that for coffee, having a burr grinder and grinding the beans immediately before using them really bumps up the flavor and smoothness of my coffee.  I like the Kitchenaid because it's a glass and metal work of art that sits on my counter top. 

And I'm still enjoying the Costa Rican arabica blend from Sprouts (medium roast).  My music selection is some early flute chamber music on the Audax label.  Sounds fabulous. 

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 28 Sep 2019, 06:23 pm »
Burr grinder!!

Tyson your serious!!

:lol:

Alex

Tyson

« Reply #72 on: 28 Sep 2019, 07:09 pm »
Burr grinder!!

Tyson your serious!!

:lol:

Alex

Plus, it looks beautiful (I'm a sucker for great industrial design):

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #73 on: 29 Sep 2019, 01:34 pm »
I've had the KitchenAid for well over a decade, still works flawlessly.  If memory serves, which it doesn't do so much these days, they're guaranteed for life or some long period.  The grinding faces need to be sharpened or replaced periodically if using espresso grinds a lot.

Specialty roasters are quite common and vastly superior to commercial brands.  Coffeereview.com is a great resource for identifying the best of them.

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 1 Oct 2019, 01:27 pm »
Good Morning!

Listening to Larry Coryell, Visions In Blue...."Summertime"...good light Jazz....

Coffee: Peet;s Major Dickerson...

another day in paradise!

Alex

:D

brooklyn

« Reply #75 on: 9 Oct 2019, 04:38 pm »
Good morning,

I was listening to Abbey Road for the first time in a while with my Ananda headphones, what a pleasant surprise..
The album sounds more dynamic than I remember it with excellent bass and neutral highs that didn't sound over
done like they did to me in the past. I’m pretty sure this is the best I’ve ever heard it. I’ve also been listening to
a wide variety of music and I find the Ananda’s to have a nice neutral sound quality that sounds good with
everything I’ve listened to so far.. I’m not even sure if there broken in yet..

Jerry

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 9 Oct 2019, 07:53 pm »
Great album, lots of good memories when I was a youngster...

Revolver is pretty good as well...

Alex

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #77 on: 13 Oct 2019, 07:26 pm »
hibuckhobby...

How is the BH Crack working out?

Alex

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 17 Oct 2019, 01:24 pm »
Listening to Wynton Marsalis, The Magic Hour, "Big Fat Hen"...

EXCELLENT album....

Focal Clears with Schitt Magni 3.....Wyntons trumpet is very, very good...tonality, reverberations of the horn in the room are wonderful...percussion is spot on.....

...and the coffee is great!!
(and pumpkin spice donuts!!)

Alex

twitch54

« Reply #79 on: 17 Oct 2019, 08:45 pm »
speaking of coffee, anyone else here use Coffee bean direct for their source of coffee.

https://www.coffeebeandirect.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhLrwr5Sk5QIVCYizCh3kmg87EAAYASAAEgIeFfD_BwE

I've been using them for a couple years now, completely satisfied