Morning Coffee - Discussion

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Re: Morning Coffee - Discussion
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jun 2019, 01:56 pm »
Hi.  Name here is Bob Ahlberg.  I'm retired (just this year at 72) and start every morning with 2,
12oz. cups of coffee.  I don't have just one favorite, but enjoy dark roasts.  I just finished a bag
of Starbucks Sumatra and have some Intelligensia Espresso roast waiting in the wings.

As far as headphones...I've been through more different brands/models than I care to detail.
Right now I rotate between three cans primarily:  The Senn HD800, the ZMF Atticus and
Hifiman HE5 reissue.  Amplification is an Amps and Sound Leloo (which also drives the Usher 520's
on my desk) as well as a Ifi stack for solid state.

Great thread!
Hibuck....

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #21 on: 3 Jun 2019, 07:50 pm »
Hello!

Thanks for stopping in the Morning Coffee Discussion!!

I am glad its working out and you like it!!

I am hoping after going thru my dilemma here to start drinking coffee again!!

Starbucks Sumatra, a bit bold for me, so I mix it with Peets Major Dickerson blend and its wonderful....the flavor just sweetens up a bit!

Just order parts for a 2 transistor amp, Class A by Mark Johnson ovr at DIY, I posted this elsewhere on the thread...

Nice set of headphones!!

Senn 800s may be in my future if things go right !!

:D

Alex

Stu Pitt

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jun 2019, 12:45 pm »
Funny thing about coffee:I love the smell of grinding the bean. Love the smell of brewing the bean.
Can't stand the taste of it. Never have and probably never will. My wife makes fun of me and says it just
means more for her. I don't believe in adding a bunch of stuff to "try" and make it taste better cause then what's
the point of drinking it?
Lexington NC has a little store called the Candy Factory. They have stuff I hadn't seen in many years and some
of the best malted balls I've ever had. Any way asked the owner one time "know why I love dark chocolate"? He
says ok why and I told him "cause my wife doesn't".
Have a great day everyone.

Don
I thought I was the only one who liked the smell of it but hated the taste. Now I don’t feel like such a freak :) I’ll be 43 in a few weeks and I’ve had no more than 4 cups of coffee my entire life. My “coffee” is Pepsi :)

As for headphones...

I’ve got Etymotic ER6i that I use when hitting the punching bag. They were my travel IEMs for a while until I bought the ER4s. I somewhat recently bought Focal Listens to change things up from IEMs. Great cans for the $150 or so I got them for new. I need to listen to music more. Having a 6 and 8 year old doesn’t leave too much sitting around time. My only real “me time” is karate two nights a week. That’s my therapy :)

dflee

• Music is the core of understanding
« Reply #23 on: 4 Jun 2019, 01:21 pm »
"I thought I was the only one who liked the smell of it but hated the taste. Now I don’t feel like such a freak"
Rest assured Stu, There's a few more of us freaks around here somewhere.
Asked my wife if I was the only one in her life. She replied "yes, all the others were nines and tens".
Didn't realize that was a loaded question.

Don

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 4 Jun 2019, 02:17 pm »
Ha!

My wife loves the smell of fresh grounds but hates the taste too!

Oh!  "Good Morning!"...

Listening with a Burson Fun amp with V6 Vivids op maps and my T1's.....Roy Orbison!

:D

Alex

Tyson

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jun 2019, 02:27 pm »
Every spring/summer I switch to cold brew coffee, it's stronger (and cheaper) than hot coffee via the Aeropress (my normal method).  Anyway, last night's attempt at cold brew was a bit too weak, even steeping it for an extra few hours didn't help.  So, to night, starting over with more grounds. 

For music, I am starting the day with some fabulous remasters from the Warner Classics catalogue.  Specifically some Richard Strauss performed by Andre Previn and the Vienna Philharmonic.  After that is some Ravel performed by Andre Cluytens.  These are all recordings from the 50/60/70's that had been remastered on CD once before (in the 90s) and they sounded "OK" but not great.  These brand new remasters (2019!!) are all done from the original master tapes and in hirez.  Wow, big improvement in sound.  And because I have Qobuz I get to stream them all! 

Not using headphones today though, I got my "Work/Party/Upstairs" system tuned in very nicely with Klipsch Forte IIIs, an Elekit 2a3/300b tube amp and a Chromecast Audio wireless streamer feeding an iFi iOne DAC.  Sounds fabulous. 

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 6 Jun 2019, 08:07 pm »
One week since my episode, and today I had a small cup of coffee!!!

Been on antiacids for reduction of stomach acid....but been getting really moderate to severe back pain...doc says its not from the drugs!

Been a real pain sleeping and relaxing..but things seem to be getting better here!

I got my back of parts from Mouser to build the DIY T2 amp, a 2 watt, 2 stage transistor Class A amp.

I soldered in 99% of the parts and am waiting on some 28 ga. wire to find a coil or inductor for the power supply circuit.

The case came today but I wasnt home so Fedex will be back tomorrow, but the 10K pot arrived!!

So we are really close to wiring it up and mounting in the chassis tomorrow hopefully and testing and tweaking a few pots to set the drive into the first stage.

DIY'ing really keeps me focused and alert and its a good thing here!  :D

...and you get to see how some of these low cost home brew amps compare to those high dollar ones we all lust for!

...and today is D-DAY!  49 yrs ago I got married, so its a special day here!! Anniversary Day!

Thanks to all the vets and folks around the world that did what was necessary so long ago....no politics just a heartfelt thank you!

All the best
Alex

richidoo

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2019, 10:03 pm »
Happy Anniversary Alex!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #28 on: 6 Jun 2019, 11:30 pm »
Happy Anniversary Alex! And wow, today marks 75 years since D-Day.

Best,
Anand.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #29 on: 7 Jun 2019, 12:17 am »
Happy Anniverary!
Hibuck...

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 7 Jun 2019, 12:58 am »
Thanks Gents!

Alex

dflee

« Reply #31 on: 7 Jun 2019, 01:37 am »
Hope you had a good anniversary today.
May the next 49 be just as cool.
Congrats. Need to see some pics of your work.

Don
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2019, 01:49 pm by dflee »

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 7 Jun 2019, 02:27 am »

dflee

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jun 2019, 01:48 pm »
Nice work. Good to see someone's progress.
You must have patience which I lack for such work.
Now does this kind of work have to be done before or after coffee?
I'd be way to jittery if I were to have caffeine and then try something like that.

Don

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 8 Jun 2019, 12:22 am »
Don,

I finished the T2 amp today and its really a solid great performer.

I will post pix in the T2 thread I started with my impressions soon.

I will say that this is one of the very best amps I have ever heard hands down, its that good.

Class A , 150ms high current bias'ing etc...simple design....whats not to like!

The key to DIY is patience and I have little but I have learned to just slow down and take it easy!!

Mistakes are costly and I hate troubleshooting stuff after spending many long hours building...

The parts and soldering are easy for me, the mechanical and painting , or mounting  in a case has been my weakspot..

I actually had my first cup of coffee this morning, made it on the weak side and seeing how my stomach etc will
behave after my episode last week, so far all is good

Alex

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 12 Jun 2019, 12:58 pm »
Good Morning!

Back in the mountains of North Caroina for a few days trying to make uo for my short trip two weeks back!

46 degrees here this am, great day ahead...just had the best bowl of coarse ground "grits" in the world !!

Hope you all are well and take some time to listen to some great music!!

Alex

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 17 Jun 2019, 03:16 pm »
Hello !!

Where is everyone?

Listening to an assorted set of songs this morning....Beach Boys, Poppa Do Run stuff, Spyrogyra, Joni Mitchell, Enya, Norah Jones etc...

Finally heading to the doctor this pm for more analysis on the chest pains!!

All the best!
Alex

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2019, 12:24 pm »
Hello!

On vacation will be back soon!

Alex

brooklyn

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jul 2019, 03:59 pm »
Hi Alex, we miss you.... I was just sitting here having a piece of my wife's corn bread and my morning coffee..

Hope you get to feeling better soon..

Jerry
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2019, 04:28 am by brooklyn »

adydula

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2019, 11:21 pm »
Hi Jerry!,

I am in Vermont visiting relatives, heading back to North Carolina on this Sunday....my wife if from Burilington Vermont, I worked for IBM up heremany years ago, got married and left for North Carolina in the early 80's.

Hope to post more stuff soon as I get back!

Alex