• Restricted
Morning Coffee - Discussion
« on: 30 May 2019, 11:52 am »
e
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 08:21 pm by adydula »

richidoo

Re: Morning Coffee - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2019, 02:30 pm »
Good morning... I live in NC also, been out watering the dry spots in the lawn this morning, getting ready for another scorcher.

I recently helped my son fix his iPhone, which had stopped charging. He carries the phone in his pocket, which is cotton, so the lint got into the lightning port and each time he charged it compacted the lint into the bottom of the port until it go so thick that the plug could not make contact with the jack conductors. My other son said he fixed his same problem with a toothpick which I thought was barbaric but in the end that's what worked best and was pretty safe. A dab of caig gold and it works fine now. This is relevant to iPhoners who use lightning jack to feed their outboard DAC, like me. Watch out for the dreaded pocket lint impaction!

My main headphones are AKG K701 that I bought used here on AC a few years ago. They are 30ohms so fairly hungry to play loud enough for classical symphony music that I like, so I had trouble finding a source/amp that was loud enough. I recently bought a used Dragonfly Red from AC and it is loud enough so I am fully enjoying the cans and feeding my car stereo with nice DAC via aux. I really like these cans. A natural tone not too much extreme detail like some audiophile cans, but very pure tone and pretty dense for open back. I especially like how light they are and comfortable.

I'm definitely not a headphone guy, I'm a music guy first, mostly listen on home stereo and car, but I use headphones and earbuds for travel and exercise. I have Shure 530 buds, and Bose buds for exercise.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2019, 02:37 pm »
e

Tyson

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 02:40 pm »
I find I'm as obsessive about coffee as I am about headphones.  Took me a long time to "dial in" my morning cup but it's finally perfect (and stable).  For me it's an Aeropress and a mix of Brazil and Costa Rica beans.  Yum!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2019, 02:43 pm »
Early morning here and listening to Beethoven piano sonatas on my Sennheiser HD800s (from Rudistor RPX-33 mk2 headamp.
Today was to have been the third day of (the dreaded) jury duty. But they called all the cases for the whole week needing a jury finished selecting by end of yesterday.. and I was in the courtroom with 35 others, but was (lucky me or I would be there a few more days!) not selected.  The seventh time I had been called to jury duty...

My pet birds are also happier, since for two full days they were (unusually) locked in the cages all day. I am retired, and up to this point had never been gone (and them locked up) for more than a few hours.
The main reason the have to be locked up when I am not here is CHEWING STUFF. Parrot family birds, Cockatiel, and parakeets, will chew anything they can get a-hold of. Including $$$ bits of audio wire.... Speaker grill cloth, wood trim. remote control rubber buttons... and live 120V AC zip cords....
But I AM home, and they are happy this morning.
So am I, now I can relax knowing no jury duty for four years at least...

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2019, 03:36 pm »
e

S Clark

• Volunteer
  • a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2019, 03:47 pm »
Morning coffee and music is usually something my wife plays by saying "Alexa, play ...."  This morning it was Phil Collins. I changed it to Allen Parsons as I fixed breakfast. 

dflee

• What's this we shit kemosahbee?
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2019, 04:20 pm »
Late morning to everyone from NC.
I purchased a pair of HE400S and am really liking them. Now that I work from home they are a necessity. Bad head phones wrecked my ears. I would turn them up to hear what I got through the stereo thus causing the tinnitus to get worse. These phones are the first that I hear detail without turning way up and I am ecstatic. I hope to have the ringing go back down over time.
Till tomorrow
Don

DavidS

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2019, 05:48 pm »
thought I would stop lurking and jump in.  I am in Victoria BC Canada. 

Drinking a short cappuccino(less milk and foam) made from 49th Parallel Ethiopia Gedeb - a single origin espresso.  Have a big mostly automatic Breville espresso machine that makes amazing espresso.

I'm pretty new to headphones.  My main setup has my Exogal dac feeding roon/tidal to a Liquid Platinum amp to ZMF Atticus headphones.  Have new cabling that I am still not sure about - xlrs dac to amp and new xlr (Hivemind) cable to headphones. 

Music this morning is the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival compilation - amazing range of music and pretty well recorded for live festival format.  Everything from zydeco to blues to contemporary jazz.  Can imagine being there with my coffee in hand.  Although have been to early morning pilates this morning so feels like I have been standing at the main stage for maybe too long...

guf

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2019, 08:21 pm »
I’m reading this and wishing I could  participate.. I love coffee. But I don’t use headphones to listen to music. Then I was like wait!!! I’m on a plane using my Bose noise canceling and listening to Trey Anastasio band from St. Petersburg, FL. From the other night. AND I’m drinking Starbucks black coffee. Weird how I don’t, would never do either, unless I had to. You know what. I’m so grateful  for both.  And the internet on a plane!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2019, 12:49 pm »
e

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2019, 10:09 pm »
e

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2019, 10:23 pm »
Well Alex that kind of shoots your thread to heck doesn't it. Just change the title to "Morning Tea - ..."

Good to hear it wasn't more serious, even if it was painful as hell. Get to the Doc, find out what's up.  :thumb:

JD

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2019, 11:14 pm »
e
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 08:22 pm by adydula »

mresseguie

• Volunteer
  • D Sachs amp/pre + Daedalus Audio Speakers = HEAVEN
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2019, 04:48 pm »
I've never been to NC. I came close to visiting Raleigh a couple years ago while we were staying outside Atlanta, but my mother had a serious medical emergency. Mom is way more important than a trip somewhere. Our son is in the Emory PT School. He'll graduate next May, so we'll fly down for the ceremony. Knowing my wife's interest in traveling to new places, we may well stay in the region long enough to get to NC.

I've got a pair of HD650s here in my home office which get moderate use. My Gustard X20u DAC and Folsom's Little Chip amp power my WildBurro FR OB speakers when I want the room filled with music. I really like how these OB speakers sound in this room. I've tried two pairs of box speakers here, and they sounded like crap (in this particular room).

It's going to be sunny and 78F today. I guess it's not quite scorching, but this is typical of June in the Willamette Valley. I love it here. The Pacific Ocean is an hour's drive west; the Cascades are about an hour's drive east. When the pollen count isn't outrageously high, this area is Heaven on Earth (HOE?).  :lol:

I bought a Profitec Pro 500 Espresso maker last year. It replaced my Rancilio Sylvia II, which is sitting in my flat in Taiwan awaiting our eventual return. The Profitec makes fantastic espresso drinks. You're welcome to stop in for coffee and music.

I turned 59 yesterday. My arms and legs haven't fallen off (though my hair does); there haven't been any major medical issues this year (unlike last year), so life is good.

Michael

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2019, 05:57 pm »
e

dflee

• What's this we shit kemosahbee?
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2019, 06:23 pm »
Funny thing about coffee:I love the smell of grinding the bean. Love the smell of brewing the bean.
Can't stand the taste of it. Never have and probably never will. My wife makes fun of me and says it just
means more for her. I don't believe in adding a bunch of stuff to "try" and make it taste better cause then what's
the point of drinking it?
Lexington NC has a little store called the Candy Factory. They have stuff I hadn't seen in many years and some
of the best malted balls I've ever had. Any way asked the owner one time "know why I love dark chocolate"? He
says ok why and I told him "cause my wife doesn't".
Have a great day everyone.

Don

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2019, 08:29 pm »
e

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2019, 09:19 pm »
Most people who have problems with coffee do so because of the acid content. If you use this

https://www.amazon.com/Toddy-THM-Cold-Brew-System/dp/B0006H0JVW

you can reduce the acid content by 2/3s. While it produces a "different" flavor profile from a regularly brewed cup, it still contains all the caffeine and is extremely smooth and satisfying.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 3 Jun 2019, 12:47 am »
e