0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 6434 times.
A little more work done over the last few days. I confess I hate working with the bondo. I'm using Zinsser BIN shellac-base primer. I've done two coats, but will sand, check for imperfections, re-fill with bondo where needed, sand some more, prime again then move on to the next step. This is my first attempt at doing a finish like this.
I did wind up doing another coat of primer and then sanding again. Yesterday I did the first coat of finish paint, Rustoleum's Appliance Epoxy black. I chose this based on some internet research on 1) ease of use (it's relatively forgiving); 2) durable, high gloss finish. This is the result. Sorry that the black garbage bags cut to use as drop cloths doesn't provide the best background contrast - but I had them on hand, they're pretty heavy duty, and I didn't have to run to the big box store yet again to buy drop cloths.Unfortunately, my tendency toward impatience got the better of me and rather than put another coat on it yesterday, I wound up wet sanding (1000 grit) just essentially one coat. Some of the primer wound up showing through. Live and learn. I'll do two coats before wet sanding again.Tales of a newbie cabinet finisher. The only other cabinet I've ever actually built from scratch was a subwoofer cab for an Adire Tempest almost 20 years ago. For that I just used a spray on hammer finish. One thing I've learned is that while this has been an interesting venture, it's not really something I want to do again. But looking forward to finally getting everything assembled and listening.
I did NOT take pictures installing the crossover boards and drivers. However here are a couple pics of the finished product. The first one, the flash highlights the blemishes in the finish - probably makes it look a little worse than it really is as that's not noticeable to the eye without light at an angle. The second shows it on the shelf under my TV. It's still a closeup. Sitting on my couch about 9 feet away, it looks fantastic. I've not listened MUCH as yet since I just got this finished last night and, in the process of setting it up in my system, I discovered one of my subs was not putting out any sound so I spent an hour troubleshooting all the typical things - cables, sub outs, etc., and not coming up with a solution. Appears to be some kind of amp fault.Obviously I've not rerun Audyssey so I've got it turned off and just roughly level matched the center with my LRs using an SPL meter. As I got the levels dialed in the blending with the LRs started to become seamless. The center I was using is the Emotiva C2 and always struck me, with multi-channel music, is a bit of an edge in the highs. The BMR-CC eliminates that "edge" altogether. All I've had a chance to really listen to is a track or two off of Nils Lofgren's "Acoustic Live". I'm looking forward to listening to a lot more, especially my multi-channel recordings and videos. I'll post more impressions over time as they occur to me. As of now, chalk me up as a very satisfied customer!!
Rick,Just want to say the more I listen to multi-channel music, either native or "up mixed", the more I'm loving the BMR-CC. It's like having a a great solid center image, but with even more clarity, dynamics, and transparency. Thanks again for designing and getting this "right". Can't see myself ever getting "upgradeitis" in regards to my speaker system unless I win the lottery, move into a HUGE house, and have more money than sense!
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 28 queries.