Stiletto 15 - Preliminary Discussion Thread

Vinnie R.

Stiletto 15 - Preliminary Discussion Thread
« on: 23 Apr 2019, 04:46 pm »
All,

As you probably have already seen from the AXPONA show reports, I have been working on new loudspeaker design. I showed a prototype 3-way design based on a 15" open baffle woofer, and a 5.5" midrange + 1" tweeter in separate, sealed box.  This is something that I have been playing with on the side for a while, and I'm getting close to bringing it into production.  8)

I have been so busy getting the prototype ready for Axpona that I did not have time to post about it beforehand (and I wasn't 100% sure that I'd have it ready to show).  Here is the webpage of the STILETTO 15 with a few renderings, as well as details/specs (it should go without saying that since this is a prototype, details and specifications are subject to some changes):

https://www.vinnierossi.com/stiletto-15/

Here is a link to the ongoing Axpona 2019 show coverage of our demo room (with L2 Signature Preamp, Monoblocks, and Triode Wire Labs cabling throughout):

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163539.0

1) Regarding driver selection and integration, crossover design, and the resulting sound from this approach - it is a knock-out and very close to where I want it to be!  :singing:

Attendees who have been coming to my exhibit room for years kept telling me that the sound of the Stiletto 15 prototype was far ahead of my demos at previous years of the show.  I wouldn't have even considered bringing them if I also didn't feel the same way! :inlove:

2) I understand that the aesthetics of this design is "unique," "edgy," "modern," etc.  At the show, some found it very striking and loved it, with "I wouldn't change a thing" comments.  Others found it "interesting," "a bit weird," "resembling an abstract cello or guitar case look" etc.  So it is the opposite of a big, boring box speaker - but for some, it might have gone too far the other way - LOL. 

This is why I worked so hard to get the prototype ready for the show - you get a lot of feedback from attendees and press regarding the sound -and- the appearance.  Needless to say, I've been taking notes!

3) Over the next few weeks, I'll continue working with Evett Design (who worked with me on the L2 enclosure design) on some changes to the appearance - some versions will be subtle changes, and some will be more drastic.  As I mentioned to attendees at Axpona, I'm not ready yet to take pre-orders.  But hopefully sometime in June, we'll have the production design finished, and will have the color options, pricing, and lead-time all figured out. 

I'm also still figuring out the next shows that I'll be exhibiting, but this year I am highly considering showing at both Capital Audio Fest and the NY Audio Show.  Now more than ever, I really appreciate the shows that I can drive to (although driving to AXPONA was l-o-n-g!).  I hope many of you will have the opportunity to give a listen to this system!

[I'm also very hard at work on the next L2 product, which was briefly mentioned in the recent 6moons review of the L2 Signature Preamplifier.  I'll have a lot more to say about in a month or two, and am aiming to go into production of it around September and to have it at the Fall audio shows]

More updates are coming soon,

Vinnie

tonyptony

Re: Stiletto 15 - Preliminary Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2019, 02:30 pm »
Congrats Vinnie. I was there and to those who haven't had a chance to see it in person, can attest that the Stiletto 15 is a unique looking speaker. I rather liked it. :D And it was among the most surprising sounds at the show! Looking forward to see where this goes.

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2019, 04:06 pm »
I love the new design.  With speakers you can either try to get them to blend into a room or use them to make an aesthetic statement.  Too many speakers try to be the former and not enough are the latter.  The Stiletto 15's are definitely the latter and look great!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2019, 04:33 pm »
Hi Tony and Tyson,

Thank you! 

We're working on a new aesthetic that I think will look much better.

Quote from: Tyson
With speakers you can either try to get them to blend into a room or use them to make an aesthetic statement. 
Too many speakers try to be the former and not enough are the latter.

I agree - and with the new design, I hope to take the middle path (it should blend well into rooms, but also make a statement).

As soon as I have some updated renders, I'll share them here!

Vinnie

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2019, 04:55 pm »
Hi Tony and Tyson,

Thank you! 

I agree - and with the new design, I hope to take the middle path (it should blend well into rooms, but also make a statement).

As soon as I have some updated renders, I'll share them here!

Vinnie

I for one think they look killer. -Ron (NRD)

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2019, 05:22 pm »

I am looking forward to the new aesthetic version personally.  :popcorn:

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2019, 06:31 pm »
The looks have grown on me a little since initially seeing them...

Vinnie,
 You mentioned color options in your post... IMO a neutral brown for the strip would look dapper and be a safe ‘blending’ element with interior spaces. Almost everyone has some wood/wood colors, natural tones etc. in there space.

Edit: fixed. *element* not eliminate
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2019, 04:31 pm by jriggy »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2019, 04:15 pm »
I can't wait to show you all the updated version of the Stiletto 15! 

Hopefully next week I'll have new renderings to share - and it will not be painted.  :)

ricmon

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2019, 04:30 pm »
I'm also still figuring out the next shows that I'll be exhibiting, but this year I am highly considering showing at both Capital Audio Fest and the NY Audio Show.  Now more than ever, I really appreciate the shows that I can drive to (although driving to AXPONA was l-o-n-g!).  I hope many of you will have the opportunity to give a listen to this system!

More updates are coming soon,

Vinnie

Please do try and make it to the Capital Audio Fest, I would love to hear and see you products.  :thumb:

Ric

Vinnie R.

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2019, 04:46 pm »
Please do try and make it to the Capital Audio Fest, I would love to hear and see you products.  :thumb:

Ric

Hi Ric,

I'm driving down this year - see you there!

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• thecluelessaudiophile.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2019, 04:03 am »
Wish I could have heard them.  Are the open baffles more sensitive or forgiving on room placement?  What's the advante to closed baffle?  I don't know much about speaker design.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2019, 02:38 pm »
Wish I could have heard them.  Are the open baffles more sensitive or forgiving on room placement?  What's the advante to closed baffle?  I don't know much about speaker design.

Hi MP,

I designed the Stiletto to be open-baffle for the woofer only (which is 2nd order low-pass filtered at 280Hz).

Open baffle bass loads the room differently (dipole radiation pattern, which has nulls at the sides of the speaker),
and this usually results in less excitation of room modes.  So yes, OB can be less problematic with room placement
if you are looking for clean bass response.

There is a ton of information about OB design online, and a circle dedicated to it here on Audiocircle where you can learn more.
But just as with electronics, the implementation plays a significant role in the results. 

---

The updated Stiletto enclosure design is coming along very well, and I should finally have something to share this week
that will give the general idea.  :idea:

I am really looking forward to get these into production!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2019, 04:55 pm »

It's not quite finished yet, but the above render shows the new direction of the Stiletto enclosure design. :inlove:

I'm still deciding if the magnet grill should be two pieces (with a little bit of a "V" between them), or a one-piece grill.

The rear will also look much cleaner than the proto showed at Axpona.

Just wait until you see (and listen!) to the finished version. :drool: 

Vinnie

PS:  I am highly considering doing a road-trip this summer to offer some in-room (your room!) demos of Stiletto + L2 for those seriously interested.  Realistically, it would cover a range of approx New England, NY, NJ, and down to the DC area.  Let me first see when I'll have a production pair ready, and I will post about it. 

And Triode Pete is holding another NY Audio Rave at his home in Long Island, NY in August.  I already have my calendar marked for it!

Nick77

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2019, 05:15 pm »
Very clean look.  :thumb:

jriggy

« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2019, 05:17 pm »
Wow, I love em!
I’d say ‘yes’ on the split/two piece grill.
And how do you feel about maybe two spikes in the back? Sure, they’d be close together but would that help supply added stability?

tonyptony

« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2019, 11:40 am »
I like it, Vinnie. More refined looking than the prototype at AXPONA. Not sure, but I think the one piece grill has a nice, understated look to it. Personally I'd stick with the three spikes. I think it will make it easier to make a secure interface to the floor.

jriggy

« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2019, 02:47 pm »
I like it, Vinnie. More refined looking than the prototype at AXPONA. Not sure, but I think the one piece grill has a nice, understated look to it. Personally I'd stick with the three spikes. I think it will make it easier to make a secure interface to the floor.

Thanks for the though regarding 3 vs 4 spikes. I’ve always been leery of tripod based speakers, like the Vandy Quatro, which I didn’t feel was 100% stable when I tested it. But Vinnie’s design is much wider so looks much more stable.

Tyson

« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2019, 02:49 pm »
I hate tripod feet, they are much less stable than 4.  Doing 4 is a bit more fussy but worth it for the additional stability.

tonyptony

« Reply #18 on: 9 May 2019, 03:01 pm »
I think it depends on the footprint and the CG of the item. Since the Stiletto already has a sort of wide triangular base it may be okay with three, and it probably has a pretty low CG.

Tyson

« Reply #19 on: 9 May 2019, 03:11 pm »
True, if the weight is down low then it's a lot better.