Illuminismo Project Kickoff

Bittermidget

Illuminismo Project Kickoff
« on: 12 Apr 2019, 12:12 am »
Just beginning the project, but I have been working with Rick on a L/C/R setup to go behind an acoustically transparent screen wall.  I am currently using Jim Holtz/Curt Campbell statements V1 mains and a Statements V1 center channel.  If you're familiar with these speakers, they are a very large WMTMW design for the L/R and a large 3-way center channel that all use variations of the Dayton reference aluminum drivers, Tang Band full range 4.5" midrange, and the Fountek NeoCD3.0 ribbon tweeters.  I have been very happy with these speakers for both music and movies for the last 7 years.  I cannot recommend them enough for a relatively affordable high performance DIY speaker with great dynamics, clarity, and top-to-bottom coherence.

My situation will be changing and I will be moving to a new home where I have an opportunity to dedicate a space to a music/home theater with an acoustically transparent front stage.  Hoping this will be the last and best setup, I decided to go all-in with a Selah design as I've always wanted to take advantage of Rick's crossover and design expertise with high-end drivers.  The requirements that I communicated to Rick were: Dynamics for reference level music and home theater, ability to use the L/R without a subwoofer for  music, bass extension that could cover any music, and midrange/treble that equaled or exceeded the Fountek ribbons.  I also wanted to use identical speakers for L/C/R with the center being located behind the screen.

After a number of productive conversations via email with Rick, he suggested the new Illuminismo kit speakers to achieve the goals I requested.  Rick has been great to work with and has been extremely prompt and thorough when communicating.  So yesterday, I received part of the Illuminismo L/C/R kit and the balance is on the way this week.  All SB Acoustics Satori drivers in a large MTMWW arrangement.  Check out the kit page for details.

I will try to document some of the build on here, but I cannot promise a timeframe with work and family obligations (and a torn rotator cuff!).  I will however post pics as I can and will certainly provide some impressions once they are completed since this is a newer design based off the discontinued RC5.  As a teaser, here is the "waiting to be launched" section of my office.

mresseguie

• Volunteer
  • D Sachs amp/pre + Daedalus Audio Speakers = HEAVEN
Re: Illuminismo Project Kickoff
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2019, 03:42 am »
Excellent first post!

I’m looking forward to your updates.

Michael

Bittermidget

Re: Illuminismo Project Kickoff
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2019, 06:04 pm »
Slow progress, but at least wanted to keep the topic alive.  Ordered some nice MDF in 1" and 3/4" for the Illuminismos.  Rick designed a rectangular version of the cabinets, so this is what I am building. 

Decided to round over the front and rear panels with a 3/4" bit since I will not be veneering and just like the rounded look better.  I also decided to use a 1/4" dado on the front and rear panels with a matching rabbet on the inside of the side panels.  I did this because I am tired of panels slipping when gluing and did not want to use brads or screws during clamping.  We'll see how it goes.

Next step will be routing the driver recesses and holes.  Jasper circle jig and lots of test cuts!