0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 1950 times.
...Your statement is the summary of the modern audio dealer trickery and planed obsolescence to sell poor made amps with cheap parts that lasts 5 years for a high price due to their supposed sound quality, while with high quality parts and a simple SE design the equipment would last 20 years or more or as in this topic case 40 years....
Hi, there was a guy before the internet came around called Walt Bender. He ran Audiomart which was the primo classified monthly where the search for vintage became a little easier. He said something radical that might help here. It was in Listener Sept./Oct. 2001 in a Peter Breuninger article on the Dyna Stereo 70. Transformers take 3 to 6 months to come to 80 percent performance but take over 40 years to gain the remaining 20 percent. This explains the stratospheric pricing of old Western Electric gear. It's not because it's collectible, it's for the sound. True or not, It always makes me wonder. I hope this helps....Mark Korda
The older I get, the better I used to be!!!
A few months ago I bought a Fisher KX 90 (1965) integrated amp. After recapping the power supply, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I think about swapping in newer coupling caps, but don't want to change the sound of the amp; too sweet as is.
About 15 years ago, Gary Dodd sat in my living room to hook up his prototype battery preamp. At the time I had an old Knight Kit KB85, and he was duly impressed that it didn't have the weak bass he was expecting. 8-10 years later, he used the transformers of that amp to build a custom amp for me that he though was one of the sweetest sounding amps he' ever put together. Old trannies can sound excellent.
I would not be hesitant to update the coupling caps, as well as power supply parts. I had a Fisher KX-200 some years back, and the refurbishment of coupling caps and power supply diodes made a marked improvement in the sound of the unit. Still had that lush midrange, but it was like a veil had been lifted, and the music came across clearer. Sold it to a good friend who uses it daily. Found more or less the same results back when I first got into tube gear with refurbishment kits from Vacuum Tube Valley for a pair of Dyna MK IV's and PAS-3.
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 28 queries.