Paradigm PW Amp

witchdoctor

Paradigm PW Amp
« on: 11 Feb 2019, 03:26 pm »
I found the Paradigm PW Amp on Amazon for $179 ($499 MSRP). It is 50 watts into 8 ohms per channel, has an RCA line in and a sub out. I bought it for my office system because it is part of the DTS Play-Fi ecosystem and I am converting to whole house audio. The amp will stream in hi rez, is DLNA capable and connects to pretty much all the streaming services. The streaming function sounds fine, very detail oriented. Where this amp rocks in that it offers ARC room correction. In a 2.1 system sub/speaker integration is key. The integration of my desktop speakers and sub is seemless and it sounds like a "system" not "speakers". My previous desktop amp was the Parasound Zamp, nice sounding amp but if you need to go 2.1 no contest, ARC makes a BIG difference. Here is an online review:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3153229/speakers/paradigm-pw-amp-review-a-dts-play-fi-amplifier-that-will-bring-out-the-best-from-your-speakers.html

apstoltz

Re: Paradigm PW Amp
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2019, 09:51 pm »
very interesting, I may need to try one out. I like the ARC has a iphone app and should be easy to calibrate. I read a review of the kef ls50w and the user did calibrate and preferred the non powered versions. The second time he sat down to listen he calibrated the ls50w and could not believe the difference.

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2019, 04:21 am »
very interesting, I may need to try one out. I like the ARC has a iphone app and should be easy to calibrate. I read a review of the kef ls50w and the user did calibrate and preferred the non powered versions. The second time he sat down to listen he calibrated the ls50w and could not believe the difference.

That's exactly how I felt, I think you could spend a LOT more on an amp and still not get this SQ because of ARC.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2019, 05:27 pm »
Update- The amp has broken in a while and is getting better. I am using it in my desktop system powering two Boston Acoustics Soundware speakers and an ASW250 sub. Very convenient the amp has a sub out. This amp likes to be cranked, a lot. At lower volumes you get a pleasant enough soundstage but at volume you just become completely immersed. When you set up ARC you calibrate 5 positions, the center and then the four corners of your listening area. In a desktop setup you don't even need to get out of your chair. to run ARC I think ARC is what makes the immersion into sound so total. It is like you are in a bubble of sound and when I play music with really deep bass there is 0 boominess, just tight, toneful BASS. Outstanding amp and if you are thinking of upgrading speakers I would advise try this amp first. I feel it helps my speakers deliver their best.

The internal DAC is good but the Parasound ZDac I have feeding it via RCA inputs is slightly better. This amp punches WAY above its current $179 price on Amazon. I have a Klipsch Powergate integrated amp on order and will post a review and a comparison once I get time to compare.